-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
"Help Me Rank" IM 2025
Started by CuriousClinician
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Too much time on my hands. All previous years threads linked.
Previous Years:
2024: "Help Me Rank" IM 2024
2023: "Help Me Rank" IM 2023
2022: "Help Me Rank" IM 2022
2021: "Help Me Rank" IM 2021
2020: "Help Me Rank" IM 2020
2019: Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread
2018: Official 2017-2018 Help Me Rank Megathread
2017: Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread
2016: Official 2015-2016 Help Me Rank Megathread
2015: Official 2014-2015 "Please help me rank these IM Programs" Megathread
2014: Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread
2013: Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread
2012: Official 2011-2012 IM "How To Rank" Thread
2011: Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011
2010: Official 09-10 IM Rank List Thread
Previous Years:
2024: "Help Me Rank" IM 2024
2023: "Help Me Rank" IM 2023
2022: "Help Me Rank" IM 2022
2021: "Help Me Rank" IM 2021
2020: "Help Me Rank" IM 2020
2019: Official 2018/2019 "Help Me Rank" Megathread
2018: Official 2017-2018 Help Me Rank Megathread
2017: Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread
2016: Official 2015-2016 Help Me Rank Megathread
2015: Official 2014-2015 "Please help me rank these IM Programs" Megathread
2014: Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread
2013: Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread
2012: Official 2011-2012 IM "How To Rank" Thread
2011: Official Rank List Help Thread 2010-2011
2010: Official 09-10 IM Rank List Thread
CuriousClinician
New Member
Hi everyone! I suppose I will start. I’m looking for some perspective on ranking programs, mainly curious about which programs to place at the top. I plan to pursue heme/onc (all have fellowships). Main focus is on the overall strength of the program and heme/onc match with some weight to QOL factors like the program culture/schedule/outdoor activities/good city. Here's a list of some programs:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- University of California San Diego
- University of Utah
- University of Alabama Birmingham
- Medical University of South Carolina
- University of South Florida
- CMC Atrium
- Wake Forest
- University of Tennessee Knoxville
- University of Florida
- University of Kentucky
- University of Tennessee Memphis
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. UCSD - because San DiegoHi everyone! I suppose I will start. I’m looking for some perspective on ranking programs, mainly curious about which programs to place at the top. I plan to pursue heme/onc (all have fellowships). Main focus is on the overall strength of the program and heme/onc match with some weight to QOL factors like the program culture/schedule/outdoor activities/good city. Here's a list of some programs:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- University of California San Diego
- University of Utah
- University of Alabama Birmingham
- Medical University of South Carolina
- University of South Florida
- CMC Atrium
- Wake Forest
- University of Tennessee Knoxville
- University of Florida
- University of Kentucky
- University of Tennessee Memphis
1,000,000 and 1,000,001: USF and FU - because Florida
The rest however you like them.
UNC, Utah, UCSD and UAB should be your top 4 in whatever order you liked them.
Hey everyone,
I am currently applying IM with hopes to match cardio -> Interventional Cardio or maybe PCCM. I would love to be able to be as close to the Orlando area as possible.
So far I have interviewed at:
Orlando Health
UCF-HCA Osceola
UCF-HCA Lake Monroe
Lakeland Regional Medical Center
Broward Health North
FSU Tallahassee
Southeast Health
UCF-HCA Ocala
UCF-HCA Pensacola
HCA-Orange Park
HCA Lawnwood
HCA Westside - Northwest Program
Naples Community Hospital
HCA-USF North Trinity
HCA-USF Citrus
HCA-USF Blake Medical
HCA-USF Oak hill
HCA-USF Brandon regional
HCA-USF Bayonet point
UF Pensacola
I know the stigma that goes along with HCA but the interviews havent really been too bad.
I am currently applying IM with hopes to match cardio -> Interventional Cardio or maybe PCCM. I would love to be able to be as close to the Orlando area as possible.
So far I have interviewed at:
Orlando Health
UCF-HCA Osceola
UCF-HCA Lake Monroe
Lakeland Regional Medical Center
Broward Health North
FSU Tallahassee
Southeast Health
UCF-HCA Ocala
UCF-HCA Pensacola
HCA-Orange Park
HCA Lawnwood
HCA Westside - Northwest Program
Naples Community Hospital
HCA-USF North Trinity
HCA-USF Citrus
HCA-USF Blake Medical
HCA-USF Oak hill
HCA-USF Brandon regional
HCA-USF Bayonet point
UF Pensacola
I know the stigma that goes along with HCA but the interviews havent really been too bad.
Hi, planning to apply heme onc. Mostly interested in prestige/fellowship match and quality of life. Trying to decide on how to rank Beth Israel, Yale, Mayo, and WashU. I'm having trouble deciding where to put BI and Yale specifically, because they aren't ranked nearly as highly per doximity (20 and 24), however their match lists and "name brand" seem really elite to me.
Really appreciate everyone's help!
Really appreciate everyone's help!
I’d put those four in the same excellent tier, prestige- and fellowship match-wise. None of them should hold you back at all for heme onc fellowship. Would rank based on geography, call schedule, vibes.Hi, planning to apply heme onc. Mostly interested in prestige/fellowship match and quality of life. Trying to decide on how to rank Beth Israel, Yale, Mayo, and WashU. I'm having trouble deciding where to put BI and Yale specifically, because they aren't ranked nearly as highly per doximity (20 and 24), however their match lists and "name brand" seem really elite to me.
Really appreciate everyone's help!
Really? I feel like mayo is a tier above the rest in terms of prestige (#5 of doximity)I’d put those four in the same excellent tier, prestige- and fellowship match-wise. None of them should hold you back at all for heme onc fellowship. Would rank based on geography, call schedule, vibes.
NopeReally? I feel like mayo is a tier above the rest in terms of prestige (#5 of doximity)
You are not correct. But that's kind of irrelevant. And if you're going on doximity (which makes it rankings based on surveying graduates of specific programs) then it's already too late for you.Really? I feel like mayo is a tier above the rest in terms of prestige (#5 of doximity)
Hi everyone! I would really appreciate guidance on which programs to rank at the top. I'm hoping to apply to GI fellowship in the future, and I don't have a strong geographical preference. Hoping to get good clinical training. I'm very torn between Columbia, Yale, BIDMC, NYU, and UPMC. Any help would be much appreciated!
Pick whichever ones feel right. If they all do then you should look at pay, benefits, insurance coverage, area cost of living, weather, etc. From there you'll be able to decide on how to rank.
What about specifically for BIDMC vs Yale in terms of reputation/prestige?
Same level as previously stated in this thread
I know doximity is very flawed, but do you have a better system to rank programs based on prestige that you could share (not sarcastic, I genuinely would appreciate that)You are not correct. But that's kind of irrelevant. And if you're going on doximity (which makes it rankings based on surveying graduates of specific programs) then it's already too late for you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, talk to faculty members who actually know people in and from those programs. Doximity is crap, as are most "best X" rankings.
These should all give you good clinical training and I think are fairly similar prestige-wise (Allegheny maybe a little below the others), so I’d be strategic about positioning yourself for the fellowship match. What are the heme/onc rotations and research opportunities like at NJMS and Pennsy? Do Cooper and Allegheny regularly take their own residents for fellowship?Any help with ranking the programs below would be greatly appreciated, trying to go for Heme/Onc eventually. This is my current order but open to all advice:
Einstein Philly
Rutgers NJMS
Pennsy
Cooper University
Allegheny
Thank you for any help!
sleepymed9
New Member
Only need help ranking my top two programs (Cedars Sinai vs. USC), would really appreciate any input! (for some background, I'm interested in cardiology, preference for Cedars location but I'll go wherever will set me up best).
Right now I have it ranked:
1.) Cedars
2.) USC
Right now I have it ranked:
1.) Cedars
2.) USC
Last edited:
Scripps, Harbor, Olive View, Irvine, Davis for heme/onc?
Irvine/Davis very slightly above the rest. But honestly, you can hardly squeeze a laser pointer between the "tiers" those programs are in. Choose based on how you felt and how supported you'd feel at each place.Scripps, Harbor, Olive View, Irvine, Davis for heme/onc?
Would put Mayo over Yale personally especially for hem/onc opportunities.Looking to rank based on heme/onc opportunities and rep.
Thought prestige and opportunity wise this is how I’d tier them up.
BIDMC/Yale/Mayo/UMich
OSU/UWisconsin
CWRU/SKMC Jeff/CCF
Rush/Tufts
UMass/Metrohealth
Currently thinking of ranking as such
1. BIDMC
2. Yale
3. Mayo MN
4. UMich
5. OSU
6. UWisconsin
7. Rush
8. CWRU
9. SKMC Jeff
10. CCF
11. Tufts
12. UMass
13. Metrohealth
Was also considering placing both OSU and UWisconsin above UMich but would this be limiting opportunities?
Thoughts on Mayo vs BIDMC for heme/onc?Would put Mayo over Yale personally especially for hem/onc opportunities.
In the past I would have said Mayo but with Dana Farber moving over to BIDMC I’m not sure anymore. Either would be fantastic.Thoughts on Mayo vs BIDMC for heme/onc?
The Dana Farber move is interesting, has that already happened? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't start until 2028 or somethingIn the past I would have said Mayo but with Dana Farber moving over to BIDMC I’m not sure anymore. Either would be fantastic.
(thank you btw)
Don’t know details but anything that increases access to DFCI for mentorship / research is good. Either would be fantastic for matching into heme/onc given the plethora of experts
Youll match GI comfortably with a lot of options coming from any of those. Columbia is your best program and the rest are relatively similar tier. Go based on fit. Id rank columbia #1 thoughHi everyone! I would really appreciate guidance on which programs to rank at the top. I'm hoping to apply to GI fellowship in the future, and I don't have a strong geographical preference. Hoping to get good clinical training. I'm very torn between Columbia, Yale, BIDMC, NYU, and UPMC. Any help would be much appreciated!
BI. Rochester MN sounds miserable lol and Boston has way more to offer.Thoughts on Mayo vs BIDMC for heme/onc?
UpsideDown11
New Member
Applying IM for residency
From low tier MD school
Step 1: passed first attempt
Step 2: 220 :,(
Goal: academic hospitalist or PCCM
QoL, academic, able to meet new people matter most
in order:
Colorado - hospitalist
Colorado - categorical
Medical college of Wisconsin or Colorado - primary care - not sure which go rank third
Nebraska
Home program
Tulane
LSU-Shrevport
UThealth - Tyler
Nevada - Reno
From low tier MD school
Step 1: passed first attempt
Step 2: 220 :,(
Goal: academic hospitalist or PCCM
QoL, academic, able to meet new people matter most
in order:
Colorado - hospitalist
Colorado - categorical
Medical college of Wisconsin or Colorado - primary care - not sure which go rank third
Nebraska
Home program
Tulane
LSU-Shrevport
UThealth - Tyler
Nevada - Reno
Last edited:
Is this for attending jobs? fellowship? residency? can u clarifyFrom low tier MD school
Step 1: passed first attempt
Step 2: 220 :,(
Goal: academic hospitalist or PCCM
QoL, academic, able to meet new people matter most
in order:
Colorado - hospitalist
Colorado - categorical
Medical college of Wisconsin or Colorado - primary care - not sure which go rank third
Nebraska
Home program
Tulane
LSU-Shrevport
UThealth - Tyler
Nevada - Reno
UpsideDown11
New Member
Residency. I am open to chief year residencyIs this for attending jobs? fellowship? residency? can u clarify
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UpsideDown11
New Member
Are you applying to any Colorado tracks?Priority is to match heme/onc without a chief year, would appreciate guidance and advice on my rank list.
Thank you in advance. The below order is far from final as I do not know what to do other than my first few choices. I’d be grateful to match at any program below.
1. Wash U
2. U Penn
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. Yale
6. UCSD
7. UW
8. U Colorado
9. Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
10. Emory
11. OHSU
12. Brown
13. U Miami
14. U Florida
List is fine as is. If that's how you like them, rank them.Priority is to match heme/onc without a chief year, would appreciate guidance and advice on my rank list.
Thank you in advance. The below order is far from final as I do not know what to do other than my first few choices. I’d be grateful to match at any program below.
1. Wash U
2. U Penn
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. Yale
6. UCSD
7. UW
8. U Colorado
9. Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
10. Emory
11. OHSU
12. Brown
13. U Miami
14. U Florida
Pretty much your top 10 are indistinguishable in terms of hem/onc opportunities.I like them all equally really don’t have many preferences . Any changes you would make it terms of heme / onc? Thank you @gutonc
Would move up UW over UCSD, Yale.Pretty much your top 10 are indistinguishable in terms of hem/onc opportunities.
Thank you, your response is much appreciated.Pretty much your top 10 are indistinguishable in terms of hem/onc opportunities.
UpsideDown11
New Member
Anyone?Applying IM for residency
From low tier MD school
Step 1: passed first attempt
Step 2: 220 :,(
Goal: academic hospitalist or PCCM
QoL, academic, able to meet new people matter most
in order:
Colorado - hospitalist
Colorado - categorical
Medical college of Wisconsin or Colorado - primary care - not sure which go rank third
Nebraska
Home program
Tulane
LSU-Shrevport
UThealth - Tyler
Nevada - Reno
Totally reasonable order. I wouldn’t rank Colorado PC third if you’re pretty certain you want an inpatient career.Anyone?
They all look like terrible programs. Sorry heme/onc may be out of reach.....Priority is to match heme/onc without a chief year, would appreciate guidance and advice on my rank list.
Thank you in advance. The below order is far from final as I do not know what to do other than my first few choices. I’d be grateful to match at any program below.
1. Wash U
2. U Penn
3. Cornell
4. UCLA
5. Yale
6. UCSD
7. UW
8. U Colorado
9. Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
10. Emory
11. OHSU
12. Brown
13. U Miami
14. U Florida
Any help with ranking the programs below (in terms of QOL and trying to do GI eventually) would be greatly appreciated.
SKMC Thomas Jefferson University Hosp.
Temple
George Washington
UMass Chan
Montefiore (Moses/Weiler)
NJMS
IMMS Morningside/West
Cooper University
University of Rochester
John Hopkins Bayview
University of Vermont
Pennsylvania Hospital
NYU Grossman Long Island
Westchester
SKMC Thomas Jefferson University Hosp.
Temple
George Washington
UMass Chan
Montefiore (Moses/Weiler)
NJMS
IMMS Morningside/West
Cooper University
University of Rochester
John Hopkins Bayview
University of Vermont
Pennsylvania Hospital
NYU Grossman Long Island
Westchester
happygiraffe123
New Member
Interested in cards - would appreciate any guidance!
1. UChicago
2. UMich
3. Rush
4. UIC
5. Case Western/UH
6. Yale
7. Boston U
8. George Washington
Need help with #3 vs. 4, loved vibes at Rush but maybe UIC is better for cards match?
Also, didn't love Yale IV but should I still rank it higher?
1. UChicago
2. UMich
3. Rush
4. UIC
5. Case Western/UH
6. Yale
7. Boston U
8. George Washington
Need help with #3 vs. 4, loved vibes at Rush but maybe UIC is better for cards match?
Also, didn't love Yale IV but should I still rank it higher?
johnhopkins4201
New Member
Interested in GI, aiming for the strongest program for it - appreciate any help!
1. Brown
2. BU
3. Dartmouth
4. Tufts
5. UMass
6. UMD
7. RWJ
8. Temple
9. GW
10 - 18, Cooper, NJMS, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai Morningside, Pennstate, Uconn, Geisinger, Buffalo, Vtech
1. Brown
2. BU
3. Dartmouth
4. Tufts
5. UMass
6. UMD
7. RWJ
8. Temple
9. GW
10 - 18, Cooper, NJMS, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai Morningside, Pennstate, Uconn, Geisinger, Buffalo, Vtech
Last edited:
Please_Help
Full Member
Struggling really hard to rank:
CCF
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Loved IV days at all 3, I live near Philly but I don't mind Cleveland or NH actually. I just want the best training and the most opportunities for Heme/onc fellowship.
I thought CCF would be the clear winner but really worried about the fellows taking over. Please share any advice you guys can.
CCF
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Loved IV days at all 3, I live near Philly but I don't mind Cleveland or NH actually. I just want the best training and the most opportunities for Heme/onc fellowship.
I thought CCF would be the clear winner but really worried about the fellows taking over. Please share any advice you guys can.
Hard to go wrong any way you choose. Dartmouth is small (program, hospital, town, state) but I felt it was a fantastic atmosphere. I don't think there's much space between them in the realm of opportunities/options for the future though.Struggling really hard to rank:
CCF
Dartmouth
Jefferson
Loved IV days at all 3, I live near Philly but I don't mind Cleveland or NH actually. I just want the best training and the most opportunities for Heme/onc fellowship.
I thought CCF would be the clear winner but really worried about the fellows taking over. Please share any advice you guys can.
Please_Help
Full Member
Hard to go wrong any way you choose. Dartmouth is small (program, hospital, town, state) but I felt it was a fantastic atmosphere. I don't think there's much space between them in the realm of opportunities/options for the future though.
Thank you very much! Do you think any of the programs above would stand out in their IM training?
Would the CCF name go farther in applying for fellowships?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No and noThank you very much! Do you think any of the programs above would stand out in their IM training?
Would the CCF name go farther in applying for fellowships?
If thinking strictly about program strength and opportunities, UAB should be in your top 3.Please help me rank my top 4? Priority is heme/onc match and culture/schedule.
1. UNC
2. Emory
3. MUSC
4. LSU
Others: Mayo FL, Tulane, UAB, Carolinas, MCG
Logic: UNC for nightcation, Emory for prestige, MUSC my #1 city, LSU had best vibes and #2 city, but missing prestige to put higher.
1-3: UNC/Emory/UAB in some order
4-X: Whatever
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate helping me rank these programs. I am applying IM and wanting to pursue GI fellowship. I am from Southern California and would prefer to stay in the area but at the end of the day matching GI is the most important. Culture of the program/schedule is also a factor I am considering. Any advise or insight into these programs would be great as well. Thank you.
Programs with in house GI fellowship
Programs with in house GI fellowship
- Cedars Sinai
- UCI
- UTHSCSA
- UT Dell
- Scripps Clinic/Scripps Green
- Southwest Healthcare Medical Education Consortium
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center- Round Rock
- UCSF/Fresno
- UT Tyler
- Scripps Mercy
- Santa Barbara Cottage
- Charles R Drew
- Community Memorial Health System Program
Appreciate the advice! Was curious of your thoughts on UMass started thinking I am severely underrating them.Would put Mayo over Yale personally especially for hem/onc opportunities.
I think they're reasonably rated. Probably would do Case over Rush toooAppreciate the advice! Was curious of your thoughts on UMass started thinking I am severely underrating them.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.