"Help Me Rank" IM 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, would love some help on my RL. Ideally, I would love to stay in the NE region being from the mid-Atlantic region originally. I am interested in Heme/Onc but have also been thinking about GI/Cards recently as well so don't want to limit opportunities too much.

This is the list thus far:
1. Sinai Main
2. UPMC/Pitt (Am I correct in my evaluation of pitt as my #2? It is def a bit father from the east coast than I would like, but have heard great things about the program, QoL and fellowship opportunities, especially with the other programs on my list, I don't see another comparable #2. Also it seems a lot of their fellowship matches seems to be mid-west, rather than east coast?)

3. Brown (I am debating this with Jeff/SKMC tbh since SKMC would be closer to home. But I am not sure if I would be giving up a bigger advantage at Brown, if it is that much better of a program?)
4. SKMC (I am debating this with Brown since it is closer to home so I may want to rank it 3. But I am not sure if I would be giving up a bigger advantage at Brown, if it is that much better of a program?)

5. RWJ
6. Montefiore
7. UMD
8. Hofstra
9. Ubuffalo
Monte smkc brown umd are all roughly same caliber. Based on your geo pref may consider Jeff over Pitt but you are correct in your assessment that Pitt is a better program. Not by leaps and bounds, but better.
Sinai 1st is clear
 
Monte smkc brown umd are all roughly same caliber. Based on your geo pref may consider Jeff over Pitt but you are correct in your assessment that Pitt is a better program. Not by leaps and bounds, but better.
Sinai 1st is clear
Agree wholeheartedly with this and would include RWJ in that list above.
 
Hey guys,

NJMS vs. Cooper?? in terms of training, QOL, resident happiness, fellowship matches

Would love to hear a comparison between the two. I keep going back and forth on them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How important is residency prestige for matching cards/heme onc? Deciding on a mid-tier (think T40) academic program in desired long-term city (family here) vs top tier academic program across the country. Both have in-house fellowship. Not planning to pursue academic career, just want to make a good salary and life outside of the hospital
 
How important is residency prestige for matching cards/heme onc? Deciding on a mid-tier (think T40) academic program in desired long-term city (family here) vs top tier academic program across the country. Both have in-house fellowship. Not planning to pursue academic career, just want to make a good salary and life outside of the hospital
It’s important but seems like you have your answer right in front of you. For T40 program in desired location and no interest in academic career …

Personally would pick staying close to family
 
It’s important but seems like you have your answer right in front of you. For T40 program in desired location and no interest in academic career …

Personally would pick staying close to family
Leaning the same way, just worried about potentially not matching to fellowship down the road. Seems like cards/onc are only getting more competitive, but not sure if going to a top tier program (and hopefully guaranteeing fellowship match) is worth delaying being near family for 3 more years
 
Help me rank the following based on opportunity for bioethics research, prestige in fellowship match, lifestyle, and affordability(from greater to lesser importance) as a single male, undecided on fellowship but considering heme/onc.

Preliminary List
1. Miami(Largely due to lifestyle and family support in area, but 3 EHRs, don't speak Spanish and is expensive)
2. Georgetown(Best ethics opportunities and nice location, but also expensive and 3 EHRS)
3. Oregon Health and Science(Very great culture, opportunity to rotate at IHS is important to me but not determiner)
4. Tulane(Great support in area, cool culture, not too far from home)
5. Maryland( Nice program but liked the ones above more)
6. Kaiser Hawaii(Is in Hawaii but community program, at least connected to Kaiser Permanente system)
7. Saint Louis University(Home program. I like it here but really just want to use residency as a way out of my hometown, would rank higher otherwise.)

Thanks
Your top 5 are largely interchangeable. Maybe Miami and Tulane a little lower, but not in any real appreciable way. All are probably good from a "what can I do when I'm not working" perspective for a single person, depending on your interests.

I'd personally rank them differently mostly for non-program reasons (OHSU/Maryland/GT/Tulane/Miami if you care) but it's not my rank list.
 
Help me rank the following based on opportunity for bioethics research, prestige in fellowship match, lifestyle, and affordability(from greater to lesser importance) as a single male, undecided on fellowship but considering heme/onc.

Preliminary List
1. Miami(Largely due to lifestyle and family support in area, but 3 EHRs, don't speak Spanish and is expensive)
2. Georgetown(Best ethics opportunities and nice location, but also expensive and 3 EHRS)
3. Oregon Health and Science(Very great culture, opportunity to rotate at IHS is important to me but not determiner)
4. Tulane(Great support in area, cool culture, not too far from home)
5. Maryland( Nice program but liked the ones above more)
6. Kaiser Hawaii(Is in Hawaii but community program, at least connected to Kaiser Permanente system)
7. Saint Louis University(Home program. I like it here but really just want to use residency as a way out of my hometown, would rank higher otherwise.)

Thanks
I agree with @gutonc. Your best program overall as far as fellowship opps/tier wise is OHSU. Maryland Tulane Georgetown and Miami are all around the same tier as far as namebrand goes (aka solid midtier programs).
 
These are my top 3 programs at the moment. Does anyone have advice on how I should rank these with fellowship opportunities and strength of training being my main priorities? I got great vibes at Indy and Iowa, but Indy's QoL seems a lot nicer (a lot more golden weekends, no required overnight call every month) and I definitely prefer Indianapolis over Iowa City. I just wanna be sure I'm not leaving anything on the table as far as fellowship or training quality goes by ranking Indy over Iowa. My main fellowship interest right now is heme/onc

1. WashU
2. Indiana U (main)
3. Iowa
 
These are my top 3 programs at the moment. Does anyone have advice on how I should rank these with fellowship opportunities and strength of training being my main priorities? I got great vibes at Indy and Iowa, but Indy's QoL seems a lot nicer (a lot more golden weekends, no required overnight call every month) and I definitely prefer Indianapolis over Iowa City. I just wanna be sure I'm not leaving anything on the table as far as fellowship or training quality goes by ranking Indy over Iowa. My main fellowship interest right now is heme/onc

1. WashU
2. Indiana U (main)
3. Iowa
My Indy/IC preferences are different than yours, and I hate St Louis and wouldn't move back there for anything.

But your rank list is perfect the way it is.

WashU is head and shoulders above the others. Indy and Iowa are interchangeable from a program strength perspective. None of them will limit you with regards to fellowship, that will be on you.
 
It's early, but I have a strong geographical preference, so I'm really focusing on two programs. My priorities are strong IM training, good GI fellowship match opportunity, and whichever program will set me up best to be a clinician investigator.

Stuck between which to rank 1 vs 2: Cedars-Sinai vs USC

I like USC for pretty much everything, but Cedars-Sinai has one massive pro: their GI department is top notch and has a leading research institute in my area of interest with opportunity to network with renowned faculty.
 
It's early, but I have a strong geographical preference, so I'm really focusing on two programs. My priorities are strong IM training, good GI fellowship match opportunity, and whichever program will set me up best to be a clinician investigator.

Stuck between which to rank 1 vs 2: Cedars-Sinai vs USC

I like USC for pretty much everything, but Cedars-Sinai has one massive pro: their GI department is top notch and has a leading research institute in my area of interest with opportunity to network with renowned faculty.
This is the 3rd time you've posted this same question in one way or another (one deleted). Rank them how you like them. You're overthinking it. Neither are likely to hold you back.
 
My Indy/IC preferences are different than yours, and I hate St Louis and wouldn't move back there for anything.

But your rank list is perfect the way it is.

WashU is head and shoulders above the others. Indy and Iowa are interchangeable from a program strength perspective. None of them will limit you with regards to fellowship, that will be on you.
Thank you! I should have included this in my original post actually but where do you think Utah would fall in this? Out of Indy and Iowa it looks like Utah's got the strongest H/O program and their schedule looks the nicest. Location-wise though SLC is not ideal - I would only consider ranking it over Indy/Iowa if the fellowship opportunities and strength of training was that much better. Any thoughts?
 
Thank you! I should have included this in my original post actually but where do you think Utah would fall in this? Out of Indy and Iowa it looks like Utah's got the strongest H/O program and their schedule looks the nicest. Location-wise though SLC is not ideal - I would only consider ranking it over Indy/Iowa if the fellowship opportunities and strength of training was that much better. Any thoughts?
IMO, Utah should be 1 or 2 (1 for me because ... St Louis, 2 because it's probably the overall #2 program in that list).
 
Any suggested changes? - interested in heme/onc and overall prefer staying in the South depending on how strong the program is.

1) Duke
2) Cornell
3) Vandy
4) Mayo Rochester
5) UNC
6) Mayo Jax
7) NYU
8) Baylor MD Anderson track
9) Baylor Categorical
10) UF
11) USF
12) Miami
If your goal is to stay in the south, no reason not to put Vandy and UNC as 2-3. Real Mayo and Cornell aren't meaningfully "better" programs that Vandy and UNC. If the vibes were better in those places, then sure.

Mayo Jax is pretty meh and should not be top 10 on that list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone again! I have my list pretty hammered out now due to some of the help from others here and some more reflection, but having a hard time with the University of Miami vs University of Utah. Miami seems to be a better fit for my career goals (academic heme/onc) but I'm from the mountain region and am wondering if the difference in "level/quality/presteige" of program is significant enough to be that far from family. I know in the end its about my priorities but would still love to hear people's thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.