What did/will you wear for orientation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeonUFO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to see what's the norm...AMC says men should wear ties for the first day, but doesn't specify beyond that. Is a suit appropriate or too much? I'm planning on wearing a collared button-down shirt, dress pants and a tie, but holding out on the blazer.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I wore shorts and a t-shirt. I was not the odd one out.

Edit: We went to a water park after...

I think if they specifically say you should wear a tie, you can skip the jacket. Those were our orientation requirements, and I saw maybe one or two guys who showed up with a jacket.

Members don't see this ad :)
No specific protocol for my school, but many wore dress shirts with ties. Some with a full blown suit. I just wore jeans and a nice polo shirt.

For us they specified it to be casual but warned us that ID pics and school pics would be taken that day so we would want to look nice. Most people showed up in jeans/T-shirts or semi-dress shirts. A couple of girls wore dresses and stuff.

Just trying to see what's the norm...AMC says men should wear ties for the first day, but doesn't specify beyond that. Is a suit appropriate or too much? I'm planning on wearing a collared button-down shirt, dress pants and a tie, but holding out on the blazer.

i wore full sterile scrub gown with mask and ventilator.

Why don't you call your school or better yet, just ask a few M2s (assuming you've moved to the area already).

My school was completely casual, but if you were told to wear a tie I think you definitely should.

Have fun. :)

We had everything from t-shirt/cargoes/flip-flops to 3-piece suit. The best is aim for something in the middle a-la khakhis and a decent button-up.

Keep in mind that no one is grading you. Also keep in mind that you don't want to be THAT guy in the suit when everyone else is more casual. If you show up in scrubs, I will have to shoot you.

JSLIST with Protective Mask! anyone get it?

Just trying to see what's the norm...AMC says men should wear ties for the first day, but doesn't specify beyond that.

Think Chippendale's -- Go with the bowtie and no shirt. It's the best mix of casual and business. :)

I suggest go with business casual (tan slacks, button down shirt, shoes, no tie suit or blazer) until you are advised otherwise. If you really want to hedge your bets, put a tie in your backpack that you can put on if they do an ID picture or something clinical.

Two words:

Business. Mullet.

You need to realize that you are now accepted - and once they've cashed your loan check, you are allowed to adopt a slightly less kow-towing attitude.

At my school, you would probably have been sent home with shorts and a T-shirt at orientation by the deans - but that doesn't mean you have to wear a suit. A pair of khakis and a dress shirt/tie along with an annoyed look on your face is quite appropriate.

i wore full sterile scrub gown with mask and ventilator.

That's great, I thought about wearing scrubs, crocs, lab coat, and stethoscope around the neck. But the faculty would probably not find it as funny as I did.

Ours was business casual. For men, slacks, and some shirt with a collar tucked in.