What did you wear to your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NguyenDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D Maybe too early in the cycle, BUT....

I already have a pairing tan skirt/suit outfit, but for some reason I think tan is an unprofessional color? So, I was about to go to the mall to find myself a black suit/skirt but then my boyfriend said a suit would be 'too much' and just to wear something really, really nice.... I always thought wearing a suit was the necessary :confused: He personally knows someone from medical school admissions. So, I'm confused now :confused: Maybe a nice dress shirt with a nice skirt will do?

And for girls, are you going to bring a purse? Wear heels or flats? :p The interview is almost the whole day..... :)

Members don't see this ad.

:D Maybe too early in the cycle, BUT....

I already have a pairing tan skirt/suit outfit, but for some reason I think tan is an unprofessional color? So, I was about to go to the mall to find myself a black suit/skirt but then my boyfriend said a suit would be 'too much' and just to wear something really, really nice.... I always thought wearing a suit was the necessary :confused: He personally knows someone from medical school admissions. So, I'm confused now :confused: Maybe a nice dress shirt with a nice skirt will do?

And for girls, are you going to bring a purse? Wear heels or flats? :p The interview is almost the whole day..... :)

so i learned that yea black suit is too much. its for weddings and funerals. For formal interviews, grey or dark blue is the color of choice. As a girl, remember to not wear skirt thats above your knees and dont show cleavage. Oh and no perfume. good luck on ur midwestern :)

At my interviews last year people were mostly wearing black/dark navy suits. I wore a white button down shirt and kept my styling very simple. Most girls were dressed the same (Just different colored shirts). In the winter some girls wore turtleneck shirts under their suits. More were in pant suits than skirts. A few girls did wear other colors like tan or brown but they did stand out to me.

As for purses, make sure it is not a loud bold color. And make sure you set it on the flour by your chair, not in your lap so you don't nervously fiddle with it during the interview.

A current dental student responded to a post like this last year and she was very helpful. Try looking through the threads for more info.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't wear perfume.

Last edited:
Don't forget to wear nice shoes. Make sure they look clean and professional.

Of course the girls post these questions :D

I think you can be very professional yet stylish as well. I think a tan skirt/suit could be done very well if it looks professional. Not only that, but something different might make you stand out (hopefully in a good way). As for the shoes; make sure they are comfortable to walk around, yet professional. The real underlying theme here is professionalism haha. Just don't try and make this a fashion show lol

I'm a guy, and I am probably going to go in with some dark gray trousers with a little texture, and a dark gray blazer (almost black) with a lighter blue button up. I have some friends. I'm debating the tie... :shrug:

All said and done, if you feel like you look good (and professional) your confidence will be boosted and you will do better at the interview! :)