What do I ask my recruiters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebrrrg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've read some of the posts in here and get the feeling there are some strong opinions on different sides of many fences, but I haven't seen a good list of questions I should bring to a session with a recruiter.

I'm starting at SUNY Downstate in August (thanks). I'm meeting this week with an AF recruiter to talk about options, and with an Army recruiter next week. I'd like to know differences in the programs, to get info on HPSP as well as FAP options for residency, etc ... but I'd like to hear what all y'all have been asking in these meetings to make sure I get the most of my time.

Here's a short list:
  • What are the deployments like, once I'm in active duty as an MD? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)
  • Does your branch force a GMO year if there is no residency match?
  • With your HPSP program, can I take a residency in a private hospital?
  • How long is OIC?
  • How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year, if I can't do a private residency? For EM on particular?
  • Do you cross-deploy to other branches?
  • what us the financial package (of course), in detail?
  • Why choose this branch over the other?
I'm just going after info at this point, I haven't made up my mind to apply, or chosen a branch yet. If there's a thread on this already, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I've read some of the posts in here and get the feeling there are some strong opinions on different sides of many fences, but I haven't seen a good list of questions I should bring to a session with a recruiter.

I'm starting at SUNY Downstate in August (thanks). I'm meeting this week with an AF recruiter to talk about options, and with an Army recruiter next week. I'd like to know differences in the programs, to get info on HPSP as well as FAP options for residency, etc ... but I'd like to hear what all y'all have been asking in these meetings to make sure I get the most of my time.

Here's a short list:
  • What are the deployments like, once I'm in active duty as an MD? Are there set deployment timeframes (6 months, 12 months, etc)
  • Does your branch force a GMO year if there is no residency match?
  • With your HPSP program, can I take a residency in a private hospital?
  • How long is OIC?
  • How many residency slots vs candidates are there each year, if I can't do a private residency? For EM on particular?
  • Do you cross-deploy to other branches?
  • what us the financial package (of course), in detail?
  • Why choose this branch over the other?
I'm just going after info at this point, I haven't made up my mind to apply, or chosen a branch yet. If there's a thread on this already, can you kindly point me in the right direction?

First off, from your post it appears you are looking for information in the wrong board. This is the dental board, and you are applying to medical school.

Because I am not familiar with the medical board, I would first recommend doing a search of other threads - all of your questions have been answered on the dental thread - and you may find similar information in the medical threads.

First off, from your post it appears you are looking for information in the wrong board. This is the dental board, and you are applying to medical school.

You're right, sorry. Wrong forum. That's what I get for browsing SD.net on the iPhone. :) Still, if anyone has general tips on what to ask recruiters (i.e. about deployments) ... there's some overlap in the active duty area, I'd imagine.

Thanks.