This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkilla

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright. So, I currently don't believe I am a hopeless pre-med [yet] but I just finished a pretty rough semester. While my final grades have not come in yet, I am expecting about a 3.0 GPA.

I'm getting ahead of myself; I am majoring in Biological Engineering. My current cumulative GPA is a 3.48 and my gpa only including my science, math, chemistry, and physics courses is a 3.40. I just finished my first semester of my sophomore year, and my EC's include two summers of being a camp counselor, paid research in a biofuels lab, and last spring I did some non-clinical volunteering that I might continue in the spring.
So the thing is I messed up this semester... and the last two by making B's in gen bio couses (though in my defense, my gen bio 1 was taken while I was still in high school), and a C in gen chem 2.
I am thinking I made a C in organic chem this semester and also a C in statics (engineering course), and possibly another C or (hopefully not) a D in differential equations. I am a pretty smart kid and thought this would get me far in my college career. While I was able to somewhat pull off this strategy last year, I was hit with my lack of study skills and self discipline. Also, I was struggling wit SERIOUS lack of motivation and other personal issues that I now realize was due to depression/anxiety as it also affects the majority of my nuclear family. I am now seeking help in this area.
I am now also seeking help in the form of study groups, pre-med club, and school provided tutoring, as well as counseling and I believe that this will help me for next semester.
I am not really interested in changing my major as I like the analytical skills it gives me, and despite my grades from this semester, I am naturally pretty good at math and physics. My major is also fairly small at my considerably large public state school and I enjoy the sense of community within it. There are premeds, as well as alums that are in med school/ physicians, within my major that are very helpful.

My question is what can I do now to recover from this setback and work towards being a competitive med-school applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe change your major. The engineering courses only get harder and harder. Maybe switch to something a little bit easier because med schools don't really care what your major is. If you could get a higher GPA majoring in Psychology, then do that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to continue to observe your mental health. Take advantage of your relatively free counciling center. If you start to fix the underlying issues, other things will fall into place. You're already doing things to help you, which is great.

I don't agree with changing your major to something easier. I do agree that if you can't handle that challenge with other, more pre-med classes, then that's allowable. I just think there should be a good reason for the change, to where if asked, you wouldn't tell the adcom, "well, I wanted to do something easier so I could bump my grades up." Now, "I had to change because my mental health was hurting and I realized that I was spreading myself too thin and hurting myself by juggling too many difficult courses; I was drowning in many classes that shouldn't be mixed together." Sounds better to me at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to continue to observe your mental health. Take advantage of your relatively free counciling center. If you start to fix the underlying issues, other things will fall into place. You're already doing things to help you, which is great.

I don't agree with changing your major to something easier. I do agree that if you can't handle that challenge with other, more pre-med classes, then that's allowable. I just think there should be a good reason for the change, to where if asked, you wouldn't tell the adcom, "well, I wanted to do something easier so I could bump my grades up." Now, "I had to change because my mental health was hurting and I realized that I was spreading myself too thin and hurting myself by juggling too many difficult courses; I was drowning in many classes that shouldn't be mixed together." Sounds better to me at least.

Thank you! I am meeting with a counselor at the student health center to express my concerns and discuss further treatment plans. I am going to remain in my major as of now and see if it is something I can handle along with pre-med classes. I ended up with a 2.8 this semester which is not ideal, but I don't believe it is the end of the world.

If you don't mind, I also have another question. I am applying to some summer programs and REU's. I thought my low GPA would take me out of the running for many of these positions. However my advisor insists that I go ahead and just try for some considering that I am a female in engineering with research experience. I am applying to some less-prestigious programs, but I know that these are very competitive programs. I am making a back up plan in the event that I do not get into any of these summer programs. I was thinking about taking summer classes and volunteering, or getting an EMT-B certification. However I was wondering what you think the best use of my summer would be? Thanks in advance!

Thank you! I am meeting with a counselor at the student health center to express my concerns and discuss further treatment plans. I am going to remain in my major as of now and see if it is something I can handle along with pre-med classes. I ended up with a 2.8 this semester which is not ideal, but I don't believe it is the end of the world.

If you don't mind, I also have another question. I am applying to some summer programs and REU's. I thought my low GPA would take me out of the running for many of these positions. However my advisor insists that I go ahead and just try for some considering that I am a female in engineering with research experience. I am applying to some less-prestigious programs, but I know that these are very competitive programs. I am making a back up plan in the event that I do not get into any of these summer programs. I was thinking about taking summer classes and volunteering, or getting an EMT-B certification. However I was wondering what you think the best use of my summer would be? Thanks in advance!
Become an EMT only if it interests you and you think you can do great things from it. It's a huge culture, and you'd be wise to think on it before diving into huge commitments at a fire house, etc. That said, it is so much fun and so worth it; I was always sick of hiding behind a desk, filing charts, running errands, so I chose EMS. And I gave it my all and it was great and I met great friends for life.

Your GPA is concerning to me, only because it going up can only help you. It needs to improve. If you could do a summer class and handle it well, then go for it. Make sure you consider the pros and cons to ADCOMS and your apps, along with if it helps you as a person. Except for MCATS and GPAs, never do things to check off boxes. Do things to improve yourself, and things will fall into place.

Thank you for all your help! I have been really interested in getting an EMT certification and I think I am ready to do it this summer! You have helped me realize that I am not hopeless but I have to really get down to business if I want to even have a shot at medical school.

Thank you for all your help! I have been really interested in getting an EMT certification and I think I am ready to do it this summer! You have helped me realize that I am not hopeless but I have to really get down to business if I want to even have a shot at medical school.
Need help with class, let me know!

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

You are not hopeless. Change that major asap. Pick something fun/ you enjoy and perform better in the science courses.