what do med students wear at school?

Started by s1lver
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
not a med student yet, but have taken some classes with them. i've seen the entire range- some guys will wear a tie everyday, others in backwards baseball cap/ t shirt/ track pants (they look like frat boys.)

the topic actually came up in discussion once when i was chatting with one of the professors and he did make some comment about the people who dressed down more (mentioned backwards hats, specifically). he did seem to think they were less mature/ didn't realize the importance of the impression they were making. so while i don't think you have to dress up necessarily, it's probably good to at least look presentable and not like you're hung over.
 
Atleast have them show off the calf... that's what girls look at, right? 😀

In colonial times attractive calves on a man were really desirable and that's why pants often went to the knees so they could show off their calves. I learned that in history class.

I think shants look ugly.
 
I wear a fisherman's hat

4gnaz8.jpg
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I only have 1 tshirt from my undergrad and the only time I wore it was on wear your alma mater attire day at orientation. For lectures here we are mainly jeans/tshirts, scrubs, etc. For clinic we have to have buisness attire and our white coats.
 
It will depend on what school you attend. Some schools I interviewed at require nothing less than business casual or scrubs for class. Others require nothing less than jeans, while others, like mine, don't have a dress code. If there is a reason to be professionally dressed w/ white coat we are told.
 
Some of us wear a uniform but it's for a different reason.

One of the things I like about it is not worrying about what I want to wear when I get up in the morning - I'm told what to wear, so I just roll outta bed and put it on 😛

One of the coolest parts about USUHS is the sexy, sexy uniforms😀

As my host jokingly told me:

"In America first you get a USUHS acceptance, then you get the uniform then you get the women"😀

Silverhorse84, I'll do you one better. I plan to shower in the evening and sleep in my ACUs for the next day, then you roll out of bed and your good to go.

That's what I call efficiency😀

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformed Service University of Health Science, class of 2014, Army program
 
One of the coolest parts about USUHS is the sexy, sexy uniforms😀

As my host jokingly told me:

"In America first you get a USUHS acceptance, then you get the uniform then you get the women"😀

Silverhorse84, I'll do you one better. I plan to shower in the evening and sleep in my ACUs for the next day, then you roll out of bed and your good to go.

That's efficiency😀
they would frown on the resultant wrinkles.
 
they would frown on the resultant wrinkles.

Possibly a good point, I don't know if ACUs get wrinkles, as they are machine washable. I assumed this made them T-shirt like in terms of wrinkles.

For sure class Bs require proper storage and ironing, but I will inquire about ACUs.

Thanks Bleargh, for pointing out a potential flaw in my plan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformed Service University of Health Science, class of 2014, Army program
 
Possibly a good point, I don't know if ACUs get wrinkles, as they are machine washable. I assumed this made them T-shirt like in terms of wrinkles.

For sure class Bs require proper storage and ironing, but I will inquire about ACUs.

Thanks Bleargh, for pointing out a potential flaw in my plan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformed Service University of Health Science, class of 2014, Army program
you know you add signatures through your profile page right?

also, you wear ACU to class?
 
you know you add signatures through your profile page right?

also, you wear ACU to class?

Yup, I figured out the signature thing.

As for the uniforms to class as I under stand it:

You have to wear class Bs on Thursday, (I believe its because interviews are only held on thursdays so they want you looking formal) the rest of the week its your choice, (except friday when ACUs or the navy and AF equivalent are mandatory, because in the military casual friday isn't a choice is a command😀)

Also you have to wear class Bs to your clinical skills class.

When its a choice I plan to go ACU just because it will save on dry cleaning, (ACUs are machine washable, class Bs dry clean only).
 
Yup, I figured out the signature thing.

As for the uniforms to class as I under stand it:

You have to wear class Bs on Thursday, (I believe its because interviews are only held on thursdays so they want you looking formal) the rest of the week its your choice, (except friday when ACUs or the navy and AF equivalent are mandatory, because in the military casual friday isn't a choice is a command😀)

Also you have to wear class Bs to your clinical skills class.

When its a choice I plan to go ACU just because it will save on dry cleaning, (ACUs are machine washable, class Bs dry clean only).

I don't know if class Bs are equivalent to AF blues, but if they are, you can machine wash both the pants and the tops.
 
One of the coolest parts about USUHS is the sexy, sexy uniforms😀

As my host jokingly told me:

"In America first you get a USUHS acceptance, then you get the uniform then you get the women"😀

Silverhorse84, I'll do you one better. I plan to shower in the evening and sleep in my ACUs for the next day, then you roll out of bed and your good to go.

That's what I call efficiency😀

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uniformed Service University of Health Science, class of 2014, Army program

It'd be mighty uncomfortable, not to mention leave you with a really wrinkly uniform. ABUs will not get wrinkly if you wash then hang them when they come out of the dryer.

If I learned anything about the military at officer training, it was to not do anything that brings extra negative attention to yourself. Superiors' view of you will be colored by things that might seem meaningless in the civilian world.
 
Last edited:
In colonial times attractive calves on a man were really desirable and that's why pants often went to the knees so they could show off their calves. I learned that in history class.

I think shants look ugly.

Attractive calves on a man were desirable because it meant more likely than not that he had money.

Man with money requires good calves because man with money has to get up onto the horses he owns.

True story!

(At least that's what the actress portraying an 18th century Philadelphia housewife told me on the tour).

P.S. She thought I had nice calves. What a cougar.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Attractive calves on a man were desirable because it meant more likely than not that he had money.

Man with money requires good calves because man with money has to get up onto the horses he owns.

True story!

(At least that's what the actress portraying an 18th century Philadelphia housewife told me on the tour).

P.S. She thought I had nice calves. What a cougar.

I believe that at varying points in history the quality of a man's legs (or, at one point, feet) were thought to be indicative of the quality of other appendages.

On another note about men showing off legs, in the late 1790s in France there emerged the incroyables, the precursors to 19th century fops, who were known for their very tight pants, so tight that they would often require replacing part way through dances...
 
I believe that at varying points in history the quality of a man's legs (or, at one point, feet) were thought to be indicative of the quality of other appendages.

On another note about men showing off legs, in the late 1790s in France there emerged the incroyables, the precursors to 19th century fops, who were known for their very tight pants, so tight that they would often require replacing part way through dances...
clearly the europeans have a time honored tradition of tight pants
 
So I'm going to be a first year this fall. Is it too 'douchy' to stalk up on scrubs and nikes and call it a semester? Im going to be studying in topical weather.
 
why not just wear a t shirt and shorts like normal people
Well i think that;s too laid back and i would show way too much hahahaha I used to go with yoga pants or beach dresses but don't know if thats too casual now
 
Depends on the school. Some have uniform codes, others don't. The school I will be matriculating at as of now allows students to wears scrubs or dress business casual. Most students were wearing scrubs during the interview day!
 
I hate real pants and wear maxi skirts and yoga tights everyday.. but I'm usually rocking a nice top. Can I keep this up in med school or should I go buy jeans/dress pants?
 
whoa necrobump

For classes, you can get away with it. You will likely also have days that require you to dress up however, so you should start investing in 'professional' clothes anyway. Once you're on clinics you're expected to dress professionally as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well i think that;s too laid back and i would show way too much hahahaha I used to go with yoga pants or beach dresses but don't know if thats too casual now

Absolutely not. Probably half the girls in my class wore yoga pants on a regular basis.

I certainly wasn't complaining.
 
I know, I know... it's a pretty dumb question. 😳 Is it still like in college where shorts/jeans + a shirt is OK? Or do you wear something more "formal" like long-sleeved button-down shirts?
Some schools have a dress code requiring shirt and tie, others don't care.