What do programs look for?? FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, legit, straight up. His number was 8744. See if you can locate any of his stuff. For years, SDN archived his posts. Epic stuff.

For those interested, his blog still exists as an SDN archive as of last I looked a month ago for a stroll down memory lane.

Panda, if you're out there, stop by and say hi sometime.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for this FAQ thread!

I have one question: Does your program, or other programs that you know of, have anything against couples matching? Will your program be less likely to take a couple into the program, or can one applicant actually help the other match into the same program?

If you are matching into different specialties, we really don't care one way or the other. We might communicate with the other specialty to see if they are going to interview the other candidate, but everyone knows we aren't going to pressure another department to interview somebody.

If both are applying to EM, then we pay attention. A couple in the same residency could have the potential to cause a lot of drama--needy schedule requests, etc. Heaven forbid they have a bad break up and then we have to deal with them. Not that it couldn't or hasn't worked in the past, we are just more careful.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is variable. Some specialties/programs will look at things to consider if they like you how likely is your significant other to get into a program at the same hospital. No point in considering someone who likely won't stay because significant other cant get in or isn't well liked enough. On the same note, I know many programs that don't particularly care especially if they are ultracompetitive because the law of supply and demand says they will fill spots with well-qualified candidates anyway. Location matters too in terms of competitiveness. If both strong it can help but anyone that has a couple situation where one is weaker and stronger it can make things more difficult at times depending on specialties both people apply to. An example would be a strong internal medicine candidate and a weak ortho candidate. THe IM persons abilities likely won't be able to sway IM program to tug ortho to help out. Conversely, a weak IM person and strong ortho could have a situation where ortho may be able to tug a bit at IM more due to the competitive nature of ortho. You name it situation wise...... it probably has happened. At my hospital, I have seen the strong-strong and strong-average due to matching but rarely strong-weak. Would have to know more about the situation to venture an even reasonably educated guess.

If you are matching into different specialties, we really don't care one way or the other. We might communicate with the other specialty to see if they are going to interview the other candidate, but everyone knows we aren't going to pressure another department to interview somebody.

If both are applying to EM, then we pay attention. A couple in the same residency could have the potential to cause a lot of drama--needy schedule requests, etc. Heaven forbid they have a bad break up and then we have to deal with them. Not that it couldn't or hasn't worked in the past, we are just more careful.

It is variable. Some specialties/programs will look at things to consider if they like you how likely is your significant other to get into a program at the same hospital. No point in considering someone who likely won't stay because significant other cant get in or isn't well liked enough. On the same note, I know many programs that don't particularly care especially if they are ultracompetitive because the law of supply and demand says they will fill spots with well-qualified candidates anyway. Location matters too in terms of competitiveness. If both strong it can help but anyone that has a couple situation where one is weaker and stronger it can make things more difficult at times depending on specialties both people apply to. An example would be a strong internal medicine candidate and a weak ortho candidate. THe IM persons abilities likely won't be able to sway IM program to tug ortho to help out. Conversely, a weak IM person and strong ortho could have a situation where ortho may be able to tug a bit at IM more due to the competitive nature of ortho. You name it situation wise...... it probably has happened. At my hospital, I have seen the strong-strong and strong-average due to matching but rarely strong-weak. Would have to know more about the situation to venture an even reasonably educated guess.

Thanks for the replies! I was referring to both applicants applying to the same specialty (EM) at the same program and whether or not that is something that programs would consider

Thanks for the replies! I was referring to both applicants applying to the same specialty (EM) at the same program and whether or not that is something that programs would consider

both er applicants applying to same er program? they might if they like both of you or love one so much that they will consider other one if borderline. The only concern is interms of a break up which they might be worried. I see if work often with engaged/married people often times because that seems more certain than gf/bf but you never know..worth a shot!!!

My chair put it best, he said that the basic thing we are looking for is people who can make it through residency without being a problem for us (the leadership). i.e. honest, drama free, shows up on time for every shift and works hard, gets along with people or at least fakes it through, and doesn't fail boards or in services. You don't need to be the next weingart but if you come off as someone who won't be a problem child its going to make you at least middle of the pack in everyones rank lists.

My chair put it best, he said that the basic thing we are looking for is people who can make it through residency without being a problem for us (the leadership). i.e. honest, drama free, shows up on time for every shift and works hard, gets along with people or at least fakes it through, and doesn't fail boards or in services. You don't need to be the next weingart but if you come off as someone who won't be a problem child its going to make you at least middle of the pack in everyones rank lists.

Having gone through residency not terribly long ago and being an attending working with residents, I have a whole new appreciation for working with people I don't think are going to piss off every patient they see / piss off our nursing staff / piss me and my partners off or generally just be annoying. The rest can be taught.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I'm noticing a trend this year. If your application has the words "safe space" anywhere on it, that is a huge red flag. There is no such thing as a safe space in the ED. I know it's all the rage in education, but we want to know that you can operate out in the real world. We are sorting through, trying to find the least millennial-sounding millennials we can.

Love this.