what do u guys think admissions commitees wil think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies?? advantage or disadvantaGE. ive taken chem courses all the way up to pchem, though im doing great in genetics, biochem and pchem this qtr, i just dont see how i can last through another 2 yrs of this stuff in undergrad. not stimulating to me at all. ive always been the more artsy type, but did the chem thing cuz i am pre med. now that im done with all my premed courses, i feel like switching to film studies, but dont know what committees will think of this. what yall think??

Members don't see this ad.

adcoms won't care. just do well. go for it :thumbup:

UCDavisdude said:
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies?? advantage or disadvantaGE. ive taken chem courses all the way up to pchem, though im doing great in genetics, biochem and pchem this qtr, i just dont see how i can last through another 2 yrs of this stuff in undergrad. not stimulating to me at all. ive always been the more artsy type, but did the chem thing cuz i am pre med. now that im done with all my premed courses, i feel like switching to film studies, but dont know what committees will think of this. what yall think??

As long as you are committed and show the same (I'm assuming stellar) academic record as you did with your science major, I don't think adcom can take anything away from you. I would be hesitant in describing why you switched when interview time comes around because your interviewer may be some basic science nut that would have a heart attack if you told him you became "tired" of the sciences. Just make sure you keep some sort of scientific interest because I've heard the first two years of med school could be even more hellish without such an interest. Follow your heart... just some advice from a pre-med like you :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
they'll think you have balls the size of your head.

dynx said:
they'll think you have balls the size of your head.
do you mean this in a good way? im confused/.. havin balls is usually a good thing..rite?

UCDavisdude said:
do you mean this in a good way? im confused/.. havin balls is usually a good thing..rite?

unless you have elephantitis

any more insight folks??would be much appreciated, and not about the elephantitis

Half of them won't notice. The other half will wonder how much science you've taken & their jaws will drop when they turn the page on your AMCAS and see your transcript. :thumbup: Go for it. It will also give your transcript some diversity. Many students have the usual pre-reqs, more science classes, a course or two in a heritage language or faith tradition (language & philosophy requirements) and call it a day. A transcript with the courses for a film studies major might be rather interesting to read. It will certainly be something to talk about in an interview and having taken chem up through p-chem is respectable with regard to having done hard science.

UCDavisdude said:

yeah in a good way.
I didn't notice you went to davis at first. Im at UCD SOM, if you want some advice IM me I'll be happy to give you an opinion other than what you'll hear at the advising services.

LizzyM said:
Half of them won't notice. The other half will wonder how much science you've taken & their jaws will drop when they turn the page on your AMCAS and see your transcript. :thumbup: Go for it. It will also give your transcript some diversity. Many students have the usual pre-reqs, more science classes, a course or two in a heritage language or faith tradition (language & philosophy requirements) and call it a day. A transcript with the courses for a film studies major might be rather interesting to read. It will certainly be something to talk about in an interview and having taken chem up through p-chem is respectable with regard to having done hard science.
I agree.
I got in & I took only the pre-med requriement classes. My science background never came up in interviews. Whatever you do, just do well in it and be excited about it when you talk to the adcom. Also, the more 'far out' your major & ECs, the more likely you are to get questions asked in your interview: "You made movies?..have you ever met Brad Pitt?"
Just don't be as pretentious as my friends from USC who had minors in film! Who cares what you think about some obscure french guy's directorial ouvre?! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
odrade1 said:
I agree.
I got in & I took only the pre-med requriement classes. My science background never came up in interviews. Whatever you do, just do well in it and be excited about it when you talk to the adcom. Also, the more 'far out' your major & ECs, the more likely you are to get questions asked in your interview: "You made movies?..have you ever met Brad Pitt?"
Just don't be as pretentious as my friends from USC who had minors in film! Who cares what you think about some obscure french guy's directorial ouvre?! :laugh:
lol. thanks for advice.

dynx said:
yeah in a good way.
I didn't notice you went to davis at first. Im at UCD SOM, if you want some advice IM me I'll be happy to give you an opinion other than what you'll hear at the advising services.
sound great, wat year are you? i always see some guys that are med schools studying at the atarbucks i study at, maybe its you

UCDavisdude said:

Who cares what they think? If that's what you want to do, then do it.

UCDavisdude said:
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies??

This situation reminds me of my suitemate in college, who had a mid-college crisis junior year and decided to switch from biochem to anth. She was a super hard-core premed, awesome gpa, took 2 semesters of biochem and everything, but is really passionate about anth research and took the plunge.

So now she's at UCSF med school, so clearly it doesn't hurt! Best of luck to the OP!

UCDavisdude said:
sound great, wat year are you? i always see some guys that are med schools studying at the atarbucks i study at, maybe its you

3rd
Used to study at the starbucks at the University Mall though.

If you made it through pchem (especially the quantum portion), then you are officially a chemist :D . I won't change with your background. If you don't get into medical school, you can get a good paying job in industry. With film studies, you will get an average job somewhere. Chemistry can take you so many places, great back-up plan.

nimotsu said:
If you made it through pchem (especially the quantum portion), then you are officially a chemist :D . I won't change with your background. If you don't get into medical school, you can get a good paying job in industry. With film studies, you will get an average job somewhere. Chemistry can take you so many places, great back-up plan.
my back up plan is dental school, i may be in over my head here, and i know dental admission is compettitive as well, but i feel as im a shoo in at least somewhere in this country for dental

dynx said:
3rd
Used to study at the starbucks at the University Mall though.
naw, im over at the one on covell, near subway and next to quiznos.

im excited about starting this new major though