UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies?? advantage or disadvantaGE. ive taken chem courses all the way up to pchem, though im doing great in genetics, biochem and pchem this qtr, i just dont see how i can last through another 2 yrs of this stuff in undergrad. not stimulating to me at all. ive always been the more artsy type, but did the chem thing cuz i am pre med. now that im done with all my premed courses, i feel like switching to film studies, but dont know what committees will think of this. what yall think??
 

it.

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
1,317
1
Status
adcoms won't care. just do well. go for it :thumbup:
 

WhatUpDoc!

The Sign Says It All
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
788
16
Somewhere, USA
Status
Attending Physician
UCDavisdude said:
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies?? advantage or disadvantaGE. ive taken chem courses all the way up to pchem, though im doing great in genetics, biochem and pchem this qtr, i just dont see how i can last through another 2 yrs of this stuff in undergrad. not stimulating to me at all. ive always been the more artsy type, but did the chem thing cuz i am pre med. now that im done with all my premed courses, i feel like switching to film studies, but dont know what committees will think of this. what yall think??
As long as you are committed and show the same (I'm assuming stellar) academic record as you did with your science major, I don't think adcom can take anything away from you. I would be hesitant in describing why you switched when interview time comes around because your interviewer may be some basic science nut that would have a heart attack if you told him you became "tired" of the sciences. Just make sure you keep some sort of scientific interest because I've heard the first two years of med school could be even more hellish without such an interest. Follow your heart... just some advice from a pre-med like you :thumbup:
 
About the Ads

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
4,584
204
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
they'll think you have balls the size of your head.
 

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
dynx said:
they'll think you have balls the size of your head.
do you mean this in a good way? im confused/.. havin balls is usually a good thing..rite?
 

it.

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
1,317
1
Status
UCDavisdude said:
do you mean this in a good way? im confused/.. havin balls is usually a good thing..rite?
unless you have elephantitis
 

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
9,731
25
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status
Other Health Professions Student

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
any more insight folks??would be much appreciated, and not about the elephantitis
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
24,190
37,256
Status
Academic Administration
Half of them won't notice. The other half will wonder how much science you've taken & their jaws will drop when they turn the page on your AMCAS and see your transcript. :thumbup: Go for it. It will also give your transcript some diversity. Many students have the usual pre-reqs, more science classes, a course or two in a heritage language or faith tradition (language & philosophy requirements) and call it a day. A transcript with the courses for a film studies major might be rather interesting to read. It will certainly be something to talk about in an interview and having taken chem up through p-chem is respectable with regard to having done hard science.
 

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
4,584
204
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
UCDavisdude said:
do you mean this in a good way? im confused/.. havin balls is usually a good thing..rite?
yeah in a good way.
I didn't notice you went to davis at first. Im at UCD SOM, if you want some advice IM me I'll be happy to give you an opinion other than what you'll hear at the advising services.
 

odrade1

UASOM alum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
514
4
Planetary
Status
Resident [Any Field]
LizzyM said:
Half of them won't notice. The other half will wonder how much science you've taken & their jaws will drop when they turn the page on your AMCAS and see your transcript. :thumbup: Go for it. It will also give your transcript some diversity. Many students have the usual pre-reqs, more science classes, a course or two in a heritage language or faith tradition (language & philosophy requirements) and call it a day. A transcript with the courses for a film studies major might be rather interesting to read. It will certainly be something to talk about in an interview and having taken chem up through p-chem is respectable with regard to having done hard science.
I agree.
I got in & I took only the pre-med requriement classes. My science background never came up in interviews. Whatever you do, just do well in it and be excited about it when you talk to the adcom. Also, the more 'far out' your major & ECs, the more likely you are to get questions asked in your interview: "You made movies?..have you ever met Brad Pitt?"
Just don't be as pretentious as my friends from USC who had minors in film! Who cares what you think about some obscure french guy's directorial ouvre?! :laugh:
 
About the Ads

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
odrade1 said:
I agree.
I got in & I took only the pre-med requriement classes. My science background never came up in interviews. Whatever you do, just do well in it and be excited about it when you talk to the adcom. Also, the more 'far out' your major & ECs, the more likely you are to get questions asked in your interview: "You made movies?..have you ever met Brad Pitt?"
Just don't be as pretentious as my friends from USC who had minors in film! Who cares what you think about some obscure french guy's directorial ouvre?! :laugh:
lol. thanks for advice.
 

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
dynx said:
yeah in a good way.
I didn't notice you went to davis at first. Im at UCD SOM, if you want some advice IM me I'll be happy to give you an opinion other than what you'll hear at the advising services.
sound great, wat year are you? i always see some guys that are med schools studying at the atarbucks i study at, maybe its you
 

silas2642

silas2642
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
2,283
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UCDavisdude said:
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies?? advantage or disadvantaGE. ive taken chem courses all the way up to pchem, though im doing great in genetics, biochem and pchem this qtr, i just dont see how i can last through another 2 yrs of this stuff in undergrad. not stimulating to me at all. ive always been the more artsy type, but did the chem thing cuz i am pre med. now that im done with all my premed courses, i feel like switching to film studies, but dont know what committees will think of this. what yall think??
Who cares what they think? If that's what you want to do, then do it.
 

OddNath

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2005
547
97
Houston
Status
Attending Physician
UCDavisdude said:
hey yall, im contemplating changing my major from chem to film studies. what do you all think committees will think of a major majoring in film studies??
This situation reminds me of my suitemate in college, who had a mid-college crisis junior year and decided to switch from biochem to anth. She was a super hard-core premed, awesome gpa, took 2 semesters of biochem and everything, but is really passionate about anth research and took the plunge.

So now she's at UCSF med school, so clearly it doesn't hurt! Best of luck to the OP!
 

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
4,584
204
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
UCDavisdude said:
sound great, wat year are you? i always see some guys that are med schools studying at the atarbucks i study at, maybe its you
3rd
Used to study at the starbucks at the University Mall though.
 

nimotsu

荷物
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
260
1
NC
Status
Pre-Medical
If you made it through pchem (especially the quantum portion), then you are officially a chemist :D . I won't change with your background. If you don't get into medical school, you can get a good paying job in industry. With film studies, you will get an average job somewhere. Chemistry can take you so many places, great back-up plan.
 

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
nimotsu said:
If you made it through pchem (especially the quantum portion), then you are officially a chemist :D . I won't change with your background. If you don't get into medical school, you can get a good paying job in industry. With film studies, you will get an average job somewhere. Chemistry can take you so many places, great back-up plan.
my back up plan is dental school, i may be in over my head here, and i know dental admission is compettitive as well, but i feel as im a shoo in at least somewhere in this country for dental
 

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
dynx said:
3rd
Used to study at the starbucks at the University Mall though.
naw, im over at the one on covell, near subway and next to quiznos.
 

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2004
933
0
Status
im excited about starting this new major though
 
About the Ads