What do you do if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx MPLS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a hypothetical question.

What do you do if you suspect a patient is selling their prescriptions on the side (CIIs, most especially)? Have any of you experienced something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

What would I do? Absolutely nothing. It's not my place to play detective and the police will laugh me out the door without proof.

What do you do if you suspect a patient is selling their prescriptions on the side (CIIs, most especially)? Have any of you experienced something like this?

What makes you think that?

Members don't see this ad :)
To be clear, I'm wondering if you have a moral, ethical or legal duty in this hypothetical situation, or if the best course of action is just to ignore and let people do what people will do.

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm wondering if you have a moral, ethical or legal duty in this hypothetical situation, or if the best course of action is just to ignore and let people do what people will do.

You do, but only if you have solid proof this is occuring. IE you witnessed the exchange or have video of the exchange. Otherwise it is just circumstantial. Also I would avoid accusing patients of anything unless you do have proof.

I would just monitor the refills closely and share my concerns with the doctors office. I have called around neighboring pharmacies before to see if they have gotten CII's filled somewhere else. Cash payments on CII's always make ma suspicious. I would probably not confront the patient until I have solid evidence.

Well, legally, CII's (any RX really) are only supposed to be filled for a legitimate medical purpose. If you *know* that the prescription is not for a legitimate medical use, then you have the duty not to dispense it. However, these situations where you *know* are going to be exceedingly rare. Most of the time, its just a vague suspicion. Your best bet, if you have legitimate questions about an RX is calling the doctor. Then document what you are told. There is usually no reason to doubt the doctor, unless you are dealing with a questionable FL doctor, or if the dosing is very questionable or the RX's are being written to frequently (ie the doctor is giving the pt a new RX every week for a month's supply.) Ultimately, its your call, if you do not feel comfortable filling the prescription, than give it back to the patient (when I have done this, I tell the patient-dosing is too high, to frequent refillls, etc.)

Thanks for the responses! They fall along the lines of what I expected, but I wanted to see the general opinion of others who have actually practiced as pharmacists and maybe dealt with a situation like this. Confronting a patient directly always seems like a lose-lose situation and isn't my style, anyway. I like your ideas, BidingMyTime. I think we think alike on this issue. Should it come up in the future, I'll keep this all in mind.