what do you do with your rejection letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just threw away over 30 rejection letters. some people like to save them in a binder. i just tossed them. i don't like to keep anything negative.

actually, :idea: maybe i should burn them tomorrow...

Members don't see this ad.

I threw them away. :)

In an attempt to overcome my usual disorganization, at the beginning of the application process I actually made a file folder for each school I applied to and put all forms and correspondence for that school in the folder--including rejection letters. However, after I was in, I stopped caring and several rejection letters either got thrown away or are buried somewhere among the other piles of crap laying around my apartment. It's amazing how transformative getting accepted was--I went from agonizing over each rejection, whether or not I particularly cared about the school, to barely noticing rejections. I was thinking I should do something fun (a bonfire?) with the remaining letters and my old MCAT stuff when I move next month, but I'll probablt just end up throwing it all in the dumpster. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I already smoke a lot, I burned them. I'd just go out to the bench where I smoked outside my dorm and had a little ritual with smoking buddies where I burned the letter as soon as I got it. This worked pretty well, except Mayo's didn't want to burn. Stupid Mayo.

getunconcsious said:
Since I already smoke a lot, I burned them. I'd just go out to the bench where I smoked outside my dorm and had a little ritual with smoking buddies where I burned the letter as soon as I got it. This worked pretty well, except Mayo's didn't want to burn. Stupid Mayo.

gonna burn em this wknd

I had a friend in college who framed his rejection from Duke undergrad, and put up a poster that said, ". . . NO EXCUSES!" right next to it.
I personally throw mine away. The only one I wish I kept was from UT-Southwestern, seeing as how they rejected me even though I hadn't actually applied.

JimiThing said:
I had a friend in college who framed his rejection from Duke undergrad, and put up a poster that said, ". . . NO EXCUSES!" right next to it.
I personally throw mine away. The only one I wish I kept was from UT-Southwestern, seeing as how they rejected me even though I hadn't actually applied.
Whoa. That's intense. Your friend, not you. Your story made me laugh! Medical Schools are funny.

Anyways, I'm on the burn 'em campaign. I would sit out on my fire escape and light the puppies up! It was fun. Cathartic.

Paper cuts on my med school voodoo doll!

I am going to cut them up into small squares and use them as toilet paper. I don't like to waste paper. :thumbup:

I kept some, but will throw them out. Prolly won't burn em, thats too much trouble.

i've actually still got all my rejections from undergrad too... i keep thinking that one day i will make an utterly fabulous piece of conceptual art with them. ;)

burn them and then piss out the flames

Skiam said:
burn them and then piss out the flames

lol. i'd liek to do the same, but i think i'd get burned by the flames.. cuz im a girl..

i think i'll burn them and pour a bucket of my urine over the flames. i have a lot of rejections.. so it'll require a bucket of urine.

Don't throw away your letters! They usually have sensitive information on them such as social security numbers. Any identity theft can rummage through your garbage and get your data. Instead, invest in a good, crosscut shredder and turn them into confetti. In fact, every thing with identifying information---even a magazine cover with your address on it---should be shredded.

At the beginning (last fall), I'd get so mad, I'd throw it out right away. Now I'd wished I'd saved them all (and I have a lot!) for a cathartic bonfire. I still have a few ... maybe roll a J and smoke it? (oops, I mean with medical mj for my glaucoma, of course)

I am waiting for the last few rejection letters to show up so I can make a nice little coffee table book. The best conversation starter available.

One of the local campus bars has a special during our "senior week" (week of total debauchery/sloth/mayhem between the end of exams and graduation exercises) where each rejection letter, either from grad school/jobs is good for a free drink! My roommates and I saved them and partied like rockstars. You've gotta make the best of a bad situation. :laugh:

Advice to those applying in 2006: Save your rejections, then take a road trip to Purdue in the spring. Turn those lemons into long island iced teas!