What do you have access to during the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Periodic Table?
Scientific Calculator?

nope, no calculator whatsoever. personally i think thats the dumbest rule ever. what would it hurt to let us bring a calcultaor with add/subract/multiply/divide functions and scientific notaition? or at least provide it on the computer. its not that bad to do it by hand....its just really irritating. it doesnt prove anything.

nope, no calculator whatsoever. personally i think thats the dumbest rule ever. what would it hurt to let us bring a calcultaor with add/subract/multiply/divide functions and scientific notaition? or at least provide it on the computer. its not that bad to do it by hand....its just really irritating. it doesnt prove anything.

It does prove something: how well you can perform mathematical calculations without a calculator. All of the calculations on the MCAT are basic, and if you know how to deal with scientific notation then it shouldn't be an issue.

It does prove something: how well you can perform mathematical calculations without a calculator. All of the calculations on the MCAT are basic, and if you know how to deal with scientific notation then it shouldn't be an issue.

ooooo. you just cleared it up. i didnt realize how necessary it was to divide and multiply scientific notation in my head. i bet ill be using that skill quite a lot during residency.

i understand that they are basic calculations...thats not the point. its a stupid thing to "prove." you are applying to medical school. you have clearly been successful in your educational career, including college. im sure they know that everyone can do simple math. it takes away from the rest of the test. they shouldnt be testing us on how fast we can divide scientific notation. they should be focusin on grasping concepts and applying reasoning skills.

its just like having your blood pressure read by a machine instead of manually. is it a pretty basic process to take blood pressure? yes it is. so why use a machine to do it? b/c its easier and more efficient. same thing with a calculator.

making people re learn something they likely havent done since 3rd grade is a waste of time...regardless of how basic it is.