fever106

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am just really curious to know what the consensus on this issue is. What would be considered a "write your own ticket" kind of step 1 score for internal medicine in a top program (ex UCLA, UCSF, etc.)? I know that the residency application has many components and that directors look at much more than just scores. But assuming that a person has good clinical grades and solid recs, what kind of score do you guys think would push a person through the front door?

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What do you need?

Ans: more than a great USMLE score (read great extracurriculars, grades, rec letters... etc). :rolleyes:

AmyO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There are so many good applicants these days, especially to popular specialities like IM, that in order to land a spot at a top program, they are going to have it ALL.....read excellent board scores (I'd guess 240+), great rec's, great clinical grades and bring something interesting to the table whether that be research, dedicated to volunteering at a free health clinic every wk, etc. Getting a great board score is going to be the norm at a top program not what's going to distinguish you from the crowd.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.