1. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice

What do you need for the best residencies?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by fever106, Dec 7, 2008.

1. fever106

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am just really curious to know what the consensus on this issue is. What would be considered a "write your own ticket" kind of step 1 score for internal medicine in a top program (ex UCLA, UCSF, etc.)? I know that the residency application has many components and that directors look at much more than just scores. But assuming that a person has good clinical grades and solid recs, what kind of score do you guys think would push a person through the front door?

2. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd say 240, maybe 250 to be safe.

3. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What do you need?

Ans: more than a great USMLE score (read great extracurriculars, grades, rec letters... etc). :rolleyes:

4. AmyO

AmyO Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are so many good applicants these days, especially to popular specialities like IM, that in order to land a spot at a top program, they are going to have it ALL.....read excellent board scores (I'd guess 240+), great rec's, great clinical grades and bring something interesting to the table whether that be research, dedicated to volunteering at a free health clinic every wk, etc. Getting a great board score is going to be the norm at a top program not what's going to distinguish you from the crowd.

5. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the best strategy on how to s#%& up to P.D.