What do you think is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of right now.. i've decided i can take 2 different roads..
going to grad school PSY.D/PH.D
or
become a physician..

right now i've juggled the numbers..
if i go the psychology road.. i'll end up graduating with a psychology degree in 3 years at age 19 ( 3 months from 20), and then get a PH.D/PSY.D in clinical at around 24 to 25.
why im debating this is im very interested in forensic psychology or the psychology of criminals, and then maybe teaching eventually when im a old fart.
or
i can do medicine, i'll have to do 4 years so i'll be 20 ( 3 months from 21) and have a MD/DO by 24( 25) and then i'lll have to survive another probably 3 years to get into psychiatry so 27/28)
because im also interested in forensic psychiatry.

so the question

what would be a better road, forensic psychiatry or forensic psychology.

i could * possibily do a psychology degree in 2 years if i work both summers*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
get the MD and then work on the PhD afterwards if you want it....

MD gives you more $ and options....:thumbup:

lol when i saw you commented on this i thought you were going to say
MD IS KING!! GO MD OR DIE!!!!!!

but yah.. im more or less on a crossroad..
because i feel as if people are sooo.. unhappy with being doctors..
and idk psychology for me is almost like a hobby for me..
i mean i enjoy having talk sessions with my friends when they feel bad or something and i enjoy helping them that way.

medicine seems like a very hard and difficult field.. full of major debt
and extreme government intrusion now..
-.- i've been listening to promed and the other very unhappy doctors too much >.>

Members don't see this ad :)
lol when i saw you commented on this i thought you were going to say
MD IS KING!! GO MD OR DIE!!!!!!

but yah.. im more or less on a crossroad..
because i feel as if people are sooo.. unhappy with being doctors..
and idk psychology for me is almost like a hobby for me..
i mean i enjoy having talk sessions with my friends when they feel bad or something and i enjoy helping them that way.

medicine seems like a very hard and difficult field.. full of major debt
and extreme government intrusion now..
-.- i've been listening to promed and the other very unhappy doctors too much >.>

I have my BA in Psy so I have thought about what you have too. I decided to go MD because of the limited scope of practice you can have with just the PhD in most cases....MD is long and hard...but it is also KING!!

If it were easy, everyone would do it...:idea:

Dont cheat yourself...you get one chance at life...just saying...:)

I have my BA in Psy so I have thought about what you have too. I decided to go MD because of the limited scope of practice you can have with just the PhD in most cases....MD is long and hard...but it is also KING!!

If it were easy, everyone would do it...:idea:

Dont cheat yourself...you get one chance at life...just saying...:)

hmm i guess lol..
well..
hey if i end up hating medicine..
i'll go into some firm as a medical advisor and make some coin either way <.<

Sounds like MSTP might be a good road for you. You'd get both degrees, get paid to do it, and then you could choose after you graduate. Of course the MSTP people want you to become a scientist, but it's not binding or anything like that.

that's a pretty specific career goal. what happens if you don't get a job in law and order SVU, would you have qualms with just being a physician?

I feel medicine is too much work if you're not positive you want to do it, or if you can get there easier/faster/cheaper and still be just as happy.

Sounds like MSTP might be a good road for you. You'd get both degrees, get paid to do it, and then you could choose after you graduate. Of course the MSTP people want you to become a scientist, but it's not binding or anything like that.

time to google mstp >.<

interesting..
dont mstp's require like a 35 mcat and GRE?

I feel medicine is too much work if you're not positive you want to do it, or if you can get there easier/faster/cheaper and still be just as happy.

its not the work..
its more about will i be happy after its all done..

As of right now.. i've decided i can take 2 different roads..
going to grad school PSY.D/PH.D
or
become a physician..

right now i've juggled the numbers..
if i go the psychology road.. i'll end up graduating with a psychology degree in 3 years at age 19 ( 3 months from 20), and then get a PH.D/PSY.D in clinical at around 24 to 25.
why im debating this is im very interested in forensic psychology or the psychology of criminals, and then maybe teaching eventually when im a old fart.
or
i can do medicine, i'll have to do 4 years so i'll be 20 ( 3 months from 21) and have a MD/DO by 24( 25) and then i'lll have to survive another probably 3 years to get into psychiatry so 27/28)
because im also interested in forensic psychiatry.

so the question

what would be a better road, forensic psychiatry or forensic psychology.

i could * possibily do a psychology degree in 2 years if i work both summers*

So you are 16 years old? And you are worried about this stuff? Good Lord.

im 17..
and in college =p
skiped 12th grade wahaha

Well, I am 27, and a third year med student. I really have not talked with any 17 year olds for a long time. But I do remember what was on my mind when I was 17, quite different from the issues that have your attention.

What is the dating pool like for 17 year old college students these days? Getting any action? Oh, wait, you are illegal.

Well, I am 27, and a third year med student. I really have not talked with any 17 year olds for a long time. But I do remember what was on my mind when I was 17, quite different from the issues that have your attention.

What is the dating pool like for 17 year old college students these days? Getting any action? Oh, wait, you are illegal.

last time i checked age of consent is 16 -.0
i was legal a whole year ago dear lol..