What do you think my chances are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

313heros

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im extremely nervous about this whole process to the point where I lose sleep over it sometimes.
My pcat is in 2 days, and I have been prepping for it for a few months now. I have submitted my pharmcas to 13 schools, only because my stats are not where I wanted them to be.
I'm now waiting to take the pcat so that I can start the supplemental applications while my Gpa posts to pharmcas.

-I have a 2.96 before pharmcas.
-6 months as a medical affairs intern at -Baxter pharmaceuticals.
-6 months pharmacy technician experience.

-I've taken all my prerequisites at a community college.

Would 13 schools be enough to increase my chances?

I need advice from the sdn community. Please comment.

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to say without seeing your PCAT score
But you do have exceptional work experience

Your PCAT score has to make up for your low GPA tho. You should be able to get interviews from some schools. I have seen people with lower stats get it.

I think it really depends on what you get on your PCAT. Your GPA is on the low side, but you do have work experience which is sometimes more than what other applicants have. However, I know some schools will look at the GPA more critically than the PCAT, since the GPA is an indicator of how well you've done through school throughout, while your PCAT is more like a one-time test score.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those saying to score high on the PCAT, what composite score is considered high to you guys?

What range of PCAT score will make up for a ~2.9 GPA?

For those saying to score high on the PCAT, what composite score is considered high to you guys?

What range of PCAT score will make up for a ~2.9 GPA?

I'd say 80+ comp for someone with a 2.9. High in general, probably 90+

Yes, like Amam said 80+. For most schools average PCAT is around 70.

The main concern with low GPA is that admissions office doesn't know if you can handle pharmacy coursework. Do everything in your power to prove that you can.
I hope your recent GPA is significantly higher to show that you changed.

To all that have replied to this thread.

Thank you for your insights. I just took the pcat and never felt time go by faster in my life.
I got a 65 as a preliminary score, I'm really hoping that this can make it go through, with some of the schools I have chosen.
At this point I have no preference for any school, I just want to get into a pharmd program because my passion pursuing this field is genuinely what I see myself doing. Let me know what school would be ideal for my situation. Thank you everyone.

Thank you for your insights. I just took the pcat and never felt time go by faster in my life.
I got a 65 as a preliminary score, I'm really hoping that this can make it go through, with some of the schools I have chosen.
At this point I have no preference for any school, I just want to get into a pharmd program because my passion pursuing this field is genuinely what I see myself doing. Let me know what school would be ideal for my situation. Thank you everyone.

65? Your chances are blown. Thanks for playing PharmCAS and better luck next year. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, just apply broadly and to CHEAP schools (can't emphasize "cheap" enough). You'll be able to get in somewhere.

Do you have a degree? Or are you just applying with the pre-reqs?

Associate degree so only 2 years of school? If you get in, great. But if you are not taking any classes, I would start retaking some core science courses that you got a C and turn those into A.

That way you will have a better chance of getting in next year if you don't get in this year.

65? Your chances are blown. Thanks for playing PharmCAS and better luck next year. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, just apply broadly and to CHEAP schools (can't emphasize "cheap" enough). You'll be able to get in somewhere.
Could you define what you mean by CHEAP? Cost wise? Or ranking wise? And if ranking, ranking by??? There are so many rankings out there...

Could you define what you mean by CHEAP? Cost wise? Or ranking wise? And if ranking, ranking by??? There are so many rankings out there...

Cheap = any school that allows you to pull less than 100k (IMO) in federal loans. This is tuition + cost of living.

Rank-wise, it depends on what you want to do in pharmacy. Retail? Who cares where you went as long as you have your degree in hand. Hospital/institutional? Get into a program that has a good alumni network and solid job placement rates, as well as being cheap to attend.