What Do You Think Of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNLV. The fairly new school. I interviewed over there and was impressed by their facility and faculty. I have to ask you all for help. What do you think of the school's curriculum and possible specialty option? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

gundam said:
UNLV. The fairly new school. I interviewed over there and was impressed by their facility and faculty. I have to ask you all for help. What do you think of the school's curriculum and possible specialty option? Thanks in advance.
If you are choosing in between Michigan, Columbia, UCLA, NYU and UNLV, where would you go?

I don't know about the rest of those schools, but I've heard good things about UCLA. My uncle went there and went on to specialize in ortho at Temple.

Members don't see this ad :)
gundam said:
If you are choosing in between Michigan, Columbia, UCLA, NYU and UNLV, where would you go?

That's really tough to say. Each of those schools has some great qualities, and each certainly has some things that wouldn't appeal to every student.

Are you interested in research? Living in a large city? Being directly associated with an undergraduate campus? Using brand-new technology? Having a large class size? Does weather matter?

So many variables! Of course, the other end of the spectrum is that some people don't have any schools to choose from. So, although choosing is difficult, it could be much worse.

I think the curriculum at UNLV is great. The profs pretty much baby us. What I mean but that is this: we have laptops where everything is on power point. Each day we download the power points of that day's lecture. The profs go through the books and make the power points according to what they think is important. You don't even have to touch a book and you can get all a's (with the exception of a select few classes... and I mean FEW!) Everything is laid right out there for us. There is no guessing what is going to be on exams. Keep in mind that I have only been at this for 1.5 semesters though. But from what I hear this seems to be the same for the rest of the older students. The clincial faculty is soooo good. We just did class 2 preps last week in sim lab (AS A DS1) and the faculty are right there over your shoulder guiding you the entire way. There is a faculty member for every 6 people. SIX! UNLV has its glitches, but they are NOT that big of a deal. We get to WORK ON patients our second year and possibly the summer of 1st after we have anesthetic. Anyway.... what I am trying to say is UNLV offers soooo much. It is a great school and you should give it SERIOUS consideration. GO REBELS! :p

predentchick said:
I think the curriculum at UNLV is great. The profs pretty much baby us. What I mean but that is this: we have laptops where everything is on power point. Each day we download the power points of that day's lecture. The profs go through the books and make the power points according to what they think is important. You don't even have to touch a book and you can get all a's (with the exception of a select few classes... and I mean FEW!) Everything is laid right out there for us. There is no guessing what is going to be on exams. Keep in mind that I have only been at this for 1.5 semesters though. But from what I hear this seems to be the same for the rest of the older students. The clincial faculty is soooo good. We just did class 2 preps last week in sim lab (AS A DS1) and the faculty are right there over your shoulder guiding you the entire way. There is a faculty member for every 6 people. SIX! UNLV has its glitches, but they are NOT that big of a deal. We get to WORK ON patients our second year and possibly the summer of 1st after we have anesthetic. Anyway.... what I am trying to say is UNLV offers soooo much. It is a great school and you should give it SERIOUS consideration. GO REBELS! :p
If you get all As, how are you all going to be ranked? I talked to several students in UNLV and it seems like everyone is going to be a GP. Is that true?

I am at UNLV. I think what predentchic was trying to say is that is isn't impossible to get an A, but it is very do-able cause the power points are so good and you don't have to spend any serching for content on the lectures. We are still ranked by GPA. There is a slim chance that after 4 years there will be more than 1 person with a 4.0. But when the GPA's are the same, they break it down by actual percentages in the classes. As far as specialties, there are a few that want to specialize. However, I am sure there are just as many as other schools but people just don't come right out and say it. But UNLV gives you a lot of clinical experience, so it would be a good place for a GP.