what do you think..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh Boy Fresh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like the time for me to start collecting LORs has rolled around. What are your recommendations on choosing professors?

Is it true that D-schools prefer LORs from profs in upper level science classes? Do they ask for LORs from Dentists you've shadowed. How many of each kind do you recommend collecting letters from -ie. 1 science prof, 1 non science prof, 1 dentist, etc.?

Also, from your experience is there any thing that "caught" you guys by surprise during app season?

For example: the fact that Ohio State requires Sociology... anything like that?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like the time for me to start collecting LORs has rolled around. What are your recommendations on choosing professors?

Is it true that D-schools prefer LORs from profs in upper level science classes? Do they ask for LORs from Dentists you've shadowed. How many of each kind do you recommend collecting letters from -ie. 1 science prof, 1 non science prof, 1 dentist, etc.?

Also, from your experience is there any thing that "caught" you guys by surprise during app season?

For example: the fact that Ohio State requires Sociology... anything like that?

thanks!

The standard is two science profs, one non-science prof, and a dentist you've shadowed; although if your school has a pre-professional committee a letter from them will normally substitute for letters from professors.

When asking for letters, set up a meeting where you can sit down with each professor to discuss your application and yourself, you'll get a better letter. Also, when meeting with them, give them a folder containing your resume, transcripts, personal statement, and a brief letter thanking them and saying why you chose them to write you a letter.

Also, remember to follow up with a thank you a few weeks later, they'll either appreciate the thank you if they've written the letter already or they'll be guilted into writing the letter if they have not. Try to avoid asking right before or during finals

UNR grad said it all...
One thing I might add is, I asked one of my letter writers at the beginning of the semester we had our meeting and I set up another time to bring by some info about me. It helped me focus and pull an A in the class and it also allowed me to get to know him all through the semester. He wanted to know me personally because I had already asked for a letter, it let us both know each other better before he wrote it.
P.S. if I had gotten a bad grade or it seemed like we weren't getting along I would have found a different writer.

You're right now is a good time to get started. If you are getting a rec from a professor that you had in the fall or one you've taken a while back meet with them and ask them if they would be willing to write you a letter of rec. You can't ask them for a rec. yet because you need the letter of rec matching form that aadsas gives you. It has a bar code on it so its something that can't be just printed off and given out. AADSAS has a four LOR limit so choose wisely.

Another option is to check to see if your school offers a letter of recommendation proofreading service. You can bypass AADSAS and get a head start on your application. I know at my school(UF), through the OHLPA they offer a service to proofread LOR before they send them out.

Check it out here:
http://www.advising.ufl.edu/prehealth/ohlparecservice.html

When you meet with your professors, I suggest you bring a couple things with you.

Your resume
Personal Statement
DAT score
Unofficial Transcripts

Hope this helped