What do you want to specialize in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I heard that is a super competitive residency. You need over 9000 on the step 1. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
herbal medicine...

But for realss.....neurosurgury, if that doesn't work I'll prob go the general surgery route and do reconstructive or cardio

Not to take away from the joke here but I know many happy nurses--and if you are nice to them they may save your ass a few times during rotations.

One of my best friends is a nurse and she tells me all the time how she feels bad for the 3rd/4th year med student that doesn't know the answer and she has to answer it. Remember healthcare is a team sport.

Not to take away from the joke here but I know many happy nurses--and if you are nice to them they may save your ass a few times during rotations.

One of my best friends is a nurse and she tells me all the time how she feels bad for the 3rd/4th year med student that doesn't know the answer and she has to answer it. Remember healthcare is a team sport.
:laugh::thumbup:

snlspit.gif

*looks at your username* I see what you did there....

I'm always surprised at how nobody ever wants to go into OB. Office hours + procedures = reasonable schedule and decent pay. My little secret, I guess.

I'm not so sure about the schedule part.

Some sort of surgery. Perhaps Cardio if I hate surgery on rotations.

At this point I'd like to do IM/EM or FM/EM. For the area that I want to practice in I believe that both will be beneficial and if burnout ever does become a factor I will have another specialty to fall into full-time.

There's also a part of me that really likes Endocrinology and Nephrology. The subject matter of both fascinates me at the undergraduate level but I've only been able to shadow Nephrology. I don't know enough about either subspecialty to know if they're serious contenders or just considerations. I know the area I want to practice at needs both in a bad way.

At this point I'd like to do IM/EM or FM/EM. For the area that I want to practice in I believe that both will be beneficial and if burnout ever does become a factor I will have another specialty to fall into full-time.

So this may be a dumb question, but you can do both? I can't decide between peds, FM, and EM. So I could do FM & EM? or Peds & EM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently have four I'm most interested in: infectious disease (I love micro), neurology (seems very science-y with lots of potential for future advances), emergency medicine (see such a variety of stuff), and gastroenterology (due to my own GI issues). We'll see if I'm still interested in any of those once I'm done with med school.

So this may be a dumb question, but you can do both? I can't decide between peds, FM, and EM. So I could do FM & EM? or Peds & EM?

Yeah, there are combined dual-residency programs in both allopathic and osteopathic. I don't know of a Peds/EM (I'm sure there might be one) but I do know that the University of Kentucky has an IM/Peds combined program that is well regarded.

IM/EM is definitely more numerous though.

Yeah, there are combined dual-residency programs in both allopathic and osteopathic. I don't know of a Peds/EM (I'm sure there might be one) but I do know that the University of Kentucky has an IM/Peds combined program that is well regarded.

IM/EM is definitely more numerous though.

Good deal. Thanks.

Did a little research and you can find info by state for combined residencies here:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Click on the "Programs with Combined Specialty Tracks" link to the left.

Appears only Arizona, Indiana, and Maryland offer a combined Pediatrics/EM

Last edited:
herbal medicine...

But for realss.....neurosurgury, if that doesn't work I'll prob go the general surgery route and do reconstructive or cardio

You picked interesting variety of fields in surgery that have nothing in common, other than percieved monteray rewards (not necessarily realistic)

You picked interesting variety of fields in surgery that have nothing in common, other than perceived monetary rewards (not necessarily realistic)

I think they are all also very challenging fields. I personally have considered reconstructive surgery, trauma surgery, and cardiothoracic surgery at different points. The sole reason being that they are incredibly difficult and a good chance to challenge myself. Money isn't necessarily the only connecting factor, pay never crossed my mind when determining interest.

I'm thinking I'll specialize in cardiac-arrhythmia-dance:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asR2-sb27Vw[/YOUTUBE]

I'm thinking I'll specialize in cardiac-arrhythmia-dance:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asR2-sb27Vw[/YOUTUBE]

I made it to 1 minute and 34 seconds. Let's see who can beat that.

Open mind until running through year 3.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't fancied EM, PMR, and the occasional thought about surgery. Some experience working in the ED caught my interest, but who knows until we really get into this $hiznit.

Openminded.

You didn't even get to the good part. It gets really funny at around 2:20.

That or I've been studying for my Cardio block WAY too long.

:laugh: Wow. Apparently I have a few friends who suffer from Left Anterior Hemiblock danceitis