What do you wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyuiop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

PLease help! This may be a stupid question but what should a female wear for an interview? A suit with a jacket? Where is a good place to shop? Thanks- much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

go for something conservative. pant slacks, dressy shirt, and a jacket. at my last interview, there was only one woman out of the bunch of us. that's what she wore. looked very professional. i don't think i've seen any woman wear a skirt or dress to an interview (i might be wrong).

qwertyuiop said:
Hi Guys,

PLease help! This may be a stupid question but what should a female wear for an interview? A suit with a jacket? Where is a good place to shop? Thanks- much appreciated.

All the women at my interviews were in a suit. That is probably the safest way to go...

although a halter and a mini skirt would definitely make you stand out! ;)

JK of course.

Members don't see this ad :)
qwertyuiop said:
Hi Guys,

I would say, a dark-colored pant-suit and a dress shirt. I recommend J. Crew. I think their suits look very nice.

I have another question though -- are you not supposed to wear pumps with high heels (~3")? I mean, if I'm willing to take the pain of walking around in the heels in order to look good... or am I supposed to wear flat shoes to look conservative?

A suit is the best and only way to go. I bought a tan suit with jacket. It was a skirt suit. Most of people i have interviewed with have worn skirt suits though I've seen some pant suits. I've been the only light colored suit. Hope that's a good thing. :oops:

I like your screen name. its very simple.
just one line of characters on the keyboard.

drengineer said:
I like your screen name. its very simple.
just one line of characters on the keyboard.

Wow, so analytical to notice that....wait! You're an Engineer...

VegasBabyVegas said:
Wow, so analytical to notice that....wait! You're an Engineer...

Yes. And not only that... I'm the doctor of all engineers. :D Thus my screen name.

qwertyuiop said:
Hi Guys,

qwertyuiop, Go to any department store and ask to see their "better suits". Yes, it's an old-fashioned but accurate term for ladies' professional suits.

It should be a dark color: black, navy, pinstripe, or dark gray. Green and brown are possible, but it's best to go traditional. The lapels should lie flat, and when you "flick" them with your fingers they should go back to their original place (sign of good tailoring - my sister taught me this and she has a bachelor's in sewing ;) )

You should get the pants hemmed to a professional length, and the cuffs if the suit jacket is too long. $100-$300 is a good range; anything above $350 is going to be equal quality but just a fancier brand. Don't go below $100!

For underneath a jacket, a blouse (BUTTONED TO THE TOP) or mock turtleneck is good. And remember, DARK TROUSER SOCKS, and some closed-toed pumps or flats. Keep earrings to studs and maybe a simple necklace, but if in doubt, always go simple! Hope this helps!!

qwertyuiop said:
Hi Guys,

I like it when a woman asks guys for help with her interview attire. and isnt it amazing that sometimes men can give better advise than some women do?? we look at you objectively and want you to look your best regardless of the occasion.. something not every woman wants to see!

Hi, I am a new female here.

My suggestion:
Appearance: dark comfortable professional suit, white ironed shirt, low heel shoes (same color as suit), no parfum, no make-up (maybe mascara if need it), no excessive jewellery, short hair or pony tail (or something modest),...
Accessories: pens, some paper, your questions written somewhere, cell-phones off, portfolio, your printed AADSAS application, tissues, cash,...

These are some things I think of at the moment. Good luck! :thumbup:

Personally, I like United Colors of Benetton. They have really nice suits that are appropriate for young adults... stylish but professional~ :)

i too was bit of confused, thanks for the info :)