What *does* get a med school acceptance rescinded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwsapphire

Office of the medical examiner.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
You may have seen my sister thread about grades. I already have my bio degree and am just taking computing II and calc II to upgrade to bio info, and I'm worried about getting below a B in those classes ( mostly computing II bc it's a weeder). For DO these don't count for the sci GPA, for MD calc counts but if I nail the final I can get a B+.Since I already have my bio degree and even getting C's in these classes won't really change the GPA I had for a 122 credits...but anyway. I'm just catastrophizing.

But what does rescind an acceptance/ or even an II ( besides a DUI....)

Thanks,
mwsapphire

Members don't see this ad.

Stop worrying. You’re not going to have your acceptance revoked over a few Bs. If it helps, the most common reasons I’ve heard of are failure to meet prerequisite course requirements, legal troubles or failure to disclose info that came up on a background check. I’d also assume you could have an A rescinded over lying on an app but I’m yet to hear of that happening to anyone( maybe people just aren’t advertising that they got caught lying or maybe schools check before As)

Reactions: 1 users
Stop worrying. You’re not going to have your acceptance revoked over a few Bs. If it helps, the most common reasons I’ve heard of are failure to meet prerequisite course requirements, legal troubles or failure to disclose info that came up on a background check. I’d also assume you could have an A rescinded over lying on an app but I’m yet to hear of that happening to anyone( maybe people just aren’t advertising that they got caught lying or maybe schools check before As)
What if I get below a B in one of the classes though? Computing II is a weed-out class.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I get below a B in one of the classes though? Computing II is a weed-out class.
You’re worrying about a nonissue. Just do your best to avoid getting below a b but even if It does happen it’s highly unlikely your admission offer was contingent on acing computer science.

edit: forget about computing m being labeled as a “weed out class”. When we all started on the premed track we were told orgo,physics II and a handful of bio classes were all weed out classes and you did fine in those so I don’t see why this class will be any different

Hi everyone,
You may have seen my sister thread about grades. I already have my bio degree and am just taking computing II and calc II to upgrade to bio info, and I'm worried about getting below a B in those classes ( mostly computing II bc it's a weeder). For DO these don't count for the sci GPA, for MD calc counts but if I nail the final I can get a B+.Since I already have my bio degree and even getting C's in these classes won't really change the GPA I had for a 122 credits...but anyway. I'm just catastrophizing.

Thanks,
mwsapphire
Boy oh boy, you're making me neurotic! :)

You seem like a very nice person, and I have seen a lot of your posts and was really hoping you'd score a few IIs. I am genuinely happy to see that you have done so, and I'm now begging you to take a deep breath, enjoy your achievement, and focus on NOTHING other than converting them to As. Don't waste any energy thinking about anything else (other than getting through the academic semester) until you are done with your interviews.

You really have nothing to worry about (even an F probably wouldn't cause you to lose an A as long as it wasn't in a prereq and didn't cause you to not graduate, let alone a C), but PLEASE, stop torturing yourself with every crazy bad thing that could possibly happen, and just focus on successfully completing the cycle!!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
C’s get degrees amirite folks??

(Anyways, no, getting below a B will not get your acceptance or II rescinded. Happy to report that many graduate with multiple B-‘s and C’s, myself included, and go on to interviews and acceptances!)

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Flunking a pre-req might get an offer recinded (yes, people apply and are admitted without having completed all the pre-reqs -- it is rare but it happens).

A IA for academic dishonesty or a criminal conviction after the offer is made might get an offer withdrawn. Ditto profound misbehavior on social media or at a school sponsored event (second look) could get an offer pulled.

Lying on the AMCAS application or secondary, if discovered, could get an offer withdrawn and could result in being blacklisted in future cycles. By that I mean a total, unequivable fabrication like saying that you had a paper published when, in fact, it was merely submitted for publication, and later rejected. Saying you volunteered for 250 hours when it was only 225 would not be in the same ballpark.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
mwsapphire

You have to be egregious to get an acceptance rescinded. Typically legal system issues. A grade C or two aint it.

Cheers,

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 3 users
Flunking a pre-req might get an offer recinded (yes, people apply and are admitted without having completed all the pre-reqs -- it is rare but it happens).

A IA for academic dishonesty or a criminal conviction after the offer is made might get an offer withdrawn. Ditto profound misbehavior on social media or at a school sponsored event (second look) could get an offer pulled.

Lying on the AMCAS application or secondary, if discovered, could get an offer withdrawn and could result in being blacklisted in future cycles. By that I mean a total, unequivable fabrication like saying that you had a paper published when, in fact, it was merely submitted for publication, and later rejected. Saying you volunteered for 250 hours when it was only 225 would not be in the same ballpark.
Do schools talk? For example, if someone displayed “profound misbehavior” at one school’s second look, could ALL of their acceptances be rescinded, or just that one? Genuinely curious and not particularly worried about myself. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Do schools talk? For example, if someone displayed “profound misbehavior” at one school’s second look, could ALL of their acceptances be rescinded, or just that one? Genuinely curious and not particularly worried about myself. :)
Schools don’t know where you secured an acceptance. I am sure you have to do something extremely inappropriate like terrorist attack to get blacklisted at all schools in the country.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools don’t know where you secured an acceptance. I am sure you have to do something extremely inappropriate like terrorist attack to get blacklisted at all schools in the country.
u dont say

Dishonest behavior can get reported to AACOMAS or AMCAS.

An SDNer lost his accept at ACOM for bad behavior on Facebook.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dishonest behavior can get reported to AACOMAS or AMCAS.

An SDNer lost his accept at ACOM for bad behavior on Facebook.
Isn't it that school where Dean was charged for DUI same month?

Last edited:
  • Wow
u dont say
Yeah, this was a whole thing involving a lawsuit and AAMC/AMCAS being worried about antitrust issues, so a report they used to have where they could see where else all of their accepted applicants were accepted was discontinued last year, creating all kinds of issues with yields and wait list movement. Check out last year's wait list support thread, and search for Multiple Acceptance Report and Medical School Admissions Traffic Rules for details.

• Sad
Yeah, this was a whole thing involving a lawsuit and AAMC/AMCAS being worried about antitrust issues, so a report they used to have where they could see where else all of their accepted applicants were accepted was discontinued last year, creating all kinds of issues with yields and wait list movement. Check out last year's wait list support thread, and search for Multiple Acceptance Report and Medical School Admissions Traffic Rules for details.

If anyone wants a good read, the docket of the case that resulted in the AAMC making this decision reads like satire.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The what?

I remember seeing a thread here years ago where someone had a photo on Facebook holding a red cup and they had their acceptance rescinded. Not sure if thats the same incident @Goro is referring to.

I remember seeing a thread here years ago where someone had a photo on Facebook holding a red cup and they had their acceptance rescinded. Not sure if thats the same incident @Goro is referring to.
No, this is one was probably about a story of some racist posts at school specific FB group

If anyone wants a good read, the docket of the case that resulted in the AAMC making this decision reads like satire.
I’ll take a link good sir

After a student has been admitted, can the adcom make the decision alone, or does it often have to get referred to another department (i.e. dean of students, title ix office, etc.)?

After a student has been admitted, can the adcom make the decision alone, or does it often have to get referred to another department (i.e. dean of students, title ix office, etc.)?
I'm certainly no expert, but my bet would be that the adcom giveth and the adcom can taketh away. Until you are actually enrolled, I don't see why another department would have jurisdiction.

I'm certainly no expert, but my bet would be that the adcom giveth and the adcom can taketh away. Until you are actually enrolled, I don't see why another department would have jurisdiction.
That's what I'd expect, too. Adcoms, can you confirm? Is it school-dependent? Hopefully none of us get into a sticky situation to put ourselves in this position. If we do, it's probably a sign that we shouldn't be a doctor anyways haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Fail classes, break the law, or post some inflammatory content on your social media accounts. Apparently some guy from SDN had an acceptance rescinded for saying racist things on his facebook.

Please be a joke...

No its not. I can imagine this happening. Just take it down. In your early to mid 20's I think we all can agree that the majority of people drink when they go out. No point in flaunting it publicly.

Please be a joke...
I've known undergrad athletic scholarships to be rescinded for red cup photos but a med school acceptance I dont believe. Even if the story were at loma linda, there's gotta be more sides to it, or just a straight up fabrication

1575774718538.png

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Ok so what I've gathered from this thread is I definitely need to purge my facebook of all the dumb vulgar (not racist or anything) young kid stuff I had in high school because its definitely going to be looked at. Is making it private enough or does it need to be deleted?

Ok so what I've gathered from this thread is I definitely need to purge my facebook of all the dumb vulgar (not racist or anything) young kid stuff I had in high school because its definitely going to be looked at. Is making it private enough or does it need to be deleted?
Maybe deactivate it?

Saying you volunteered for 250 hours when it was only 25 could do it, though. If they check and actually catch you.

I'm assuming there was more than a red solo cup with a mixed drink, no?

Saying you volunteered for 250 hours when it was only 25 could do it, though. If they check and actually catch you.
Assuming this wasn't a purposeful lie, do you think it would be best to reach out the schools you've been accepted to and update them on your activities?

When I applied I'd just started a new activity, and projected my hours into the future assuming I'd do 5ish a week until matriculation. Unfortunately I was naive about how much time a full-time position, interviews, and moving prep would take. I've kept up with all my other volunteer activities, but this new one has fallen by the wayside. I feel like updating schools would be the right thing to do, if for no other reason than so it doesn't look like I'm purposefully trying to mislead anyone. Thoughts?

Please be a joke...

Not a joke. I know what school it was (and made a conscious decision not to apply there).

Not that I would, anyways, considering they don't have an MD-PhD program...

There were other "extenuating" factors like the applicant generally not being in the top tier of applicants, but it was mostly just the school being extremely conservative and paranoid after a few scandals, iirc.

Probably bottles strewn around etc. I dont really remember details beyond someone posting about a red solo cup causing their acceptance to be rescinded.

Assuming this wasn't a purposeful lie, do you think it would be best to reach out the schools you've been accepted to and update them on your activities?

When I applied I'd just started a new activity, and projected my hours into the future assuming I'd do 5ish a week until matriculation. Unfortunately I was naive about how much time a full-time position, interviews, and moving prep would take. I've kept up with all my other volunteer activities, but this new one has fallen by the wayside. I feel like updating schools would be the right thing to do, if for no other reason than so it doesn't look like I'm purposefully trying to mislead anyone. Thoughts?

That's above my pay grade. Ask an adcom. Moko, Goro, Catalystik, LizzyM, and gyngyn are all adcoms IIRC

IDK if that's a jab at the fact that I only have invites and not an A's , or just a general joke. But my pt is I was speculating in general.
The point was that there is justifiable speculating, and there's "waste our time" speculating.

You have at least three thread on this subject lately...i'm beginning to worry about you, sapphire.

For starters, STOP thinking about things beyond your control. Then get off of SDN for awhile.

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @Moko - Would one (or more) of you mind weighing in on my predicament?

When I applied I'd just started a new activity, and I projected my hours in the future assuming I'd do 5ish a week until matriculation. I didn't break the hours out between already completed (25 or so) and anticipated (250), but I did list the end date as July 2020.

Unfortunately I was naive about how much time a full-time position, interviews, and getting my house ready to sell would take. I've kept up with all my other volunteer activities, but this new one has completely fallen by the wayside. I feel like updating the schools I've been accepted to would be the right thing to do, if for no other reason than so it doesn't look like I'm purposefully trying to mislead anyone. Thoughts? Could this lead to my offers being rescinded?

Thank you so much for your advice; I truly appreciate it!

@Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @Moko - Would one (or more) of you mind weighing in on my predicament?

When I applied I'd just started a new activity, and I projected my hours in the future assuming I'd do 5ish a week until matriculation. I didn't break the hours out between already completed (25 or so) and anticipated (250), but I did list the end date as July 2020.

Unfortunately I was naive about how much time a full-time position, interviews, and getting my house ready to sell would take. I've kept up with all my other volunteer activities, but this new one has completely fallen by the wayside. I feel like updating the schools I've been accepted to would be the right thing to do, if for no other reason than so it doesn't look like I'm purposefully trying to mislead anyone. Thoughts? Could this lead to my offers being rescinded?

Thank you so much for your advice; I truly appreciate it!
This is why it's recommended to split hours completed vs hours anticipated on AMCAS. When I see an activity that was recently started with a relatively high number of hours listed, I automatically assume most, if not all, of these hours are estimated. As is oft mentioned on here, future hours are given essentially no weight exactly because of situations like this. I don't believe that any school would be surprised by this admission, nor would I expect this activity to have been the difference between an acceptance vs waitlist. If there is a large discrepancy between hours completed vs listed on the application, a short message highlighting this along with your other activities in the interim will be perfectly acceptable. Just my thoughts

The point was that there is justifiable speculating, and there's "waste our time" speculating.

You have at least three thread on this subject lately...i'm beginning to worry about you, sapphire.

For starters, STOP thinking about things beyond your control. Then get off of SDN for awhile.
Yeah, you're right. Sometimes I just get a whole string of anxious thoughts in my head that are just. stuck. Yeah SDN is nice for neurotic thoughts but after a pt it's worse. I see what you mean.