General What does "networking" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kept reading a lot of the experts asking whether the students have done networking with schools. What does that mean? Do you mind explain how "networking" works with medical school? Thanks.

Networking by definition is an exchange of info and ideas - and what it translates to is talk to people involved with the school and admissions. Get to know them and let them get to know you. Show your face and when it comes time for applications, they may recognize the name, and/or during interviews, they may recognize you and/or remember a conversation you had with them.

Members don't see this ad.

This would apply to all professional programs and is very important for some when it comes to admissions and going out into the work force.

Networking is how you connect with another professional via email, phone call, or face to face. If an admin representative goes to your school promoting their medical program and you stay afterwards to ask questions, make small talk, and ask for their information (ie business card) and the time comes around for interviews, they may remember your name and the impression you gave them. This may be enough to separate you from the other individuals.

Another common networking ability are references from any manager or volunteer service agency, preceptor, or faculty members in school. They themselves may know people from different programs and can put in a good word on your behalf when it comes to academics and mannerism. This is actually very common as well when it comes to graduation and going out into the workforce.

I am a big proponent of networking.

As someone (formerly) on the admissions side of the desk, I have seen hundreds of applicants every year whenever I go to recruitment fairs and presentations. For me, I enjoy meeting people and finding out what excites them about going to (dental) school and what specifically interests them in the program I represent. Many times I work very hard to get my students to meet you to talk about how they felt they prepared for (dental) school, and my clubs often have opportunities for prospective applicants to get some advice from other current students.

I give many of those students a chance to talk with me about what they want to tell their mentees about the admissions process. The students have full license to be as honest and open about anything from their experience to tell their mentees without me interfering (or any faculty member for that matter). The mentees often get invited to socials with other med students or alumni or local speakers. The mentees sometimes even thank me for those opportunities though I have nothing to do with them, because they want to make sure I know their interest in my school is solid.

So being visible makes a difference. Telling us your story gives us some context to help you determine whether our program is right for you (because it might not be).

So check out AMSA chapters at each medical school (or similar at other programs), go to recruitment fairs and campus visits PREPARED WITH QUESTIONS, and don't ask the questions every premed loves to ask about GPAs and MCATs, or "why should I come to your school?". Go beyond the website and brochures because we'll tell you to use them as resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.