What else should I be doing? Non trad premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luna25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m trying to figure out if I’m on the right track. I’m 26 and was a project manager/consultant in IT for 4 years after I graduated college with a MIS degree. I quit my job and have been doing a DIY post bac this semester. Originally I thought I wanted to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs, but now I’m thinking of focusing my efforts on applying to Med Schools instead, with the goal to become a Psychiatrist (although I’m also interested in other areas of medicine such as Women’s Health). So here’s my plan and what I have so far. I would appreciate any feedback or tips on what I should try to obtain in the next 2 years-ish as I prepare to apply!!
-Prereqs: I still need to take all chem classes and physics. I took anatomy 8 years ago so I don’t know if that would count at all. I took zoology but that class doesn’t transfer to the school I’m going to now, so I’m planning on taking intro to cellular bio & genetics, and maybe more bio classes. I’ve taken a boat load of psych classes so hopefully that will help, and not be a red flag. Planning on taking chem 1, physics 1, and intro to cellular bio next semester.
-Research: I’m currently an RA at a clinical psychology lab. The topics we are researching are mental health during COVID and emotional affect of bipolar disorder. Is clinical psych research relevant to medical school apps?
-Volunteering: I have 500+ hours of volunteering as an advocate at a sexual assault hotline. This involves providing emotional support and resource referrals for victims of sexual assault. We also accompany survivors to the hospital if they need a SANE exam, but this is rare. Anyone know if this could be considered clinical experience?
-
Clinical experience: don’t really have any unless the hotline stuff counts. I tried volunteering at a hospital about a year ago and I really didn’t like it because I felt like I was just walking around without a purpose. I interviewed for a scribing job, so we’ll see if that pans out. I don’t really know what else to do at this point, but am considering getting an EMT cert?
-Shadowing: i shadowed a urology PA a couple years ago but other than that I have nothing. Does anyone know if virtual shadowing will count on apps given COVID?
-
GPA: have a 3.5 right now but if I get A’s in my prereqs I’ll be at least a 3.6 overall and 3.7 or so science.
-MCAT: haven’t taken obviously.
Any help or advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You’re doing good. But I would prioritize the mcat over wasting too much time on ECs. Having 100000hrs of ec and shadowing will get you get rejected if your mcat isnt up to par. But getting a high mcat and not having anymore ec will still guarantee your acceptance to multiple schools.

Reactions: 1 user
While this is might be true it’s going to take you several semesters to get your pre reqs done. Do not attempt the MCAT until you have taken all of the prereqs. So you will have sometime to do ECs white you are taking classes. Try to focus on the nonclinical volunteering at this point, at least until the situation with Covid calms down. Hopefully by next summer more clinical experiences and shadowing opportunities will become available. In the meantime try to find service opportunities to the unserved/underserved in your community. As a physician you will deal with lots of people from all types of different backgrounds. It’s important that you know how to deal with people very unlike yourself. Besides, medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism to ADCOMS. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re doing good. But I would prioritize the mcat over wasting too much time on ECs. Having 100000hrs of ec and shadowing will get you get rejected if your mcat isnt up to par. But getting a high mcat and not having anymore ec will still guarantee your acceptance to multiple schools.
Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

While this is might be true it’s going to take you several semesters to get your pre reqs done. Do not attempt the MCAT until you have taken all of the prereqs. So you will have sometime to do ECs white you are taking classes. Try to focus on the nonclinical volunteering at this point, at least until the situation with Covid calms down. Hopefully by next summer more clinical experiences and shadowing opportunities will become available. In the meantime try to find service opportunities to the unserved/underserved in your community. As a physician you will deal with lots of people from all types of different backgrounds. It’s important that you know how to deal with people very unlike yourself. Besides, medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism to ADCOMS. Good luck.
Gotcha, thank you for the advice. Do you think volunteering at a food bank or a place that distributes clean needles to people would be good ideas?

My only input would be to skip "intro" courses in favor of 2000, 3000 and 4000-level prereqs that are on the "suggested" coursework list for the schools you're applying to. Also, get some in-person clinical volunteering. If you're just starting chem pre-reqs you're about 2 years out from applying so that gives you plenty of time to do these things and start MCAT prepping. I highly suggest taking biochem before taking MCAT (I didn't, and paid for it). Good luck!

Edit: Keep in mind that scribing and EMT do not count toward clinical VOLUNTEERING, although they are good hours for clinical employment. If you didn't like hospital volunteering, find a free clinic in your area or something similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I’m trying to figure out if I’m on the right track. I’m 26 and was a project manager/consultant in IT for 4 years after I graduated college with a MIS degree. I quit my job and have been doing a DIY post bac this semester. Originally I thought I wanted to apply to Clinical Psych PhD programs, but now I’m thinking of focusing my efforts on applying to Med Schools instead, with the goal to become a Psychiatrist (although I’m also interested in other areas of medicine such as Women’s Health). So here’s my plan and what I have so far. I would appreciate any feedback or tips on what I should try to obtain in the next 2 years-ish as I prepare to apply!!
-Prereqs: I still need to take all chem classes and physics. I took anatomy 8 years ago so I don’t know if that would count at all. I took zoology but that class doesn’t transfer to the school I’m going to now, so I’m planning on taking intro to cellular bio & genetics, and maybe more bio classes. I’ve taken a boat load of psych classes so hopefully that will help, and not be a red flag. Planning on taking chem 1, physics 1, and intro to cellular bio next semester.
-Research: I’m currently an RA at a clinical psychology lab. The topics we are researching are mental health during COVID and emotional affect of bipolar disorder. Is clinical psych research relevant to medical school apps?
-Volunteering: I have 500+ hours of volunteering as an advocate at a sexual assault hotline. This involves providing emotional support and resource referrals for victims of sexual assault. We also accompany survivors to the hospital if they need a SANE exam, but this is rare. Anyone know if this could be considered clinical experience?
-
Clinical experience: don’t really have any unless the hotline stuff counts. I tried volunteering at a hospital about a year ago and I really didn’t like it because I felt like I was just walking around without a purpose. I interviewed for a scribing job, so we’ll see if that pans out. I don’t really know what else to do at this point, but am considering getting an EMT cert?
-Shadowing: i shadowed a urology PA a couple years ago but other than that I have nothing. Does anyone know if virtual shadowing will count on apps given COVID?
-
GPA: have a 3.5 right now but if I get A’s in my prereqs I’ll be at least a 3.6 overall and 3.7 or so science.
-MCAT: haven’t taken obviously.
Any help or advice is appreciated!
Re: your volunteering w/the hotline: If you can't smell the pts, it is not clinical exp.
Read over the red font part and didn't understand why you want to be a doctor if the hospital doesn't get you excited about medicine. When I walk into a hospital I feel energized.
I have heard rumors that virtual shadowing DOES count.
Good luck w/the MCAT.

Find some clinical volunteering (in-person). Prove to yourself that this is what you really want to do for the rest of your life.