what fosters the most competition in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxingTheStars

chase this light with me
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what would make for a more competitive atmosphere...

say both schools have the A, B, C, F style of grading.

School #1 only gives the As to the top 10%, Bs to the next 15%, etc. Basically it's a curve. However, they do not rank their students.

School #2 gives As to anyone who gets a 90%+, Bs to those who get 80%+, etc. But they do rank their students.

Which school do you think will have more competitive students?

Members don't see this ad.

School #1 only gives the As to the top 10%, Bs to the next 15%, etc. Basically it's a curve. However, they do not rank their students.

School #2 gives As to anyone who gets a 90%+, Bs to those who get 80%+, etc. But they do rank their students.

Yes.

No.

Members don't see this ad :)
relevance check?

seriously anyone?

(i'm trying to decide which schools would have the LEAST competitive students since I didn't get into any true pass/fail schools)

seriously anyone?

(i'm trying to decide which schools would have the LEAST competitive students since I didn't get into any true pass/fail schools)
Show me a school that tells applicants they grade on a curve yet don't rank their students and I'll show you a school that's not very honest. Sure, maybe they don't tell you what your rank is or they don't advertise your specific number to residencies, but this just means either you are put into, say, a quartile or your dean's letter will say "X will make a solid resident" as opposed to "X will make an exceptional resident." And PDs know what the difference means.

I would go with the school the doesn't grade on a curve, as curves definitely foster more competition.

Most schools rank their students, whether you secretly know it or not. It's just a fact of life. A lack of a curve should dissuade most people to act like a *# (and try to help everyone).

Most schools rank their students, whether you secretly know it or not. It's just a fact of life. A lack of a curve should dissuade most people to act like a *# (and try to help everyone).

True. Schools need to have some sort of ranking to report to residencies or the evaluations are essentially worthless. Schools that "don't rank" their students just don't tell you what your rank is.

Lack of a strict bell curve would seem to foster a more co-operative environment, in theory. I can at least tell you that my school has no formal curve and we're very co-operative.

Anytime you have grades/ranking and premeds/med students you are going to have intense competition. No grades/ranking more cooperation, there well always be gunners/tools regardless.

School 1 will be more competitive. My classes at my school are a mix. Classes that are type 1 usually end up requiring 95%+ for an A, Classes that are type 2 allow as many people get As as deserve it.

And as others have said - ranking or not you do get ranked. Its probably in 4 sections (not necessarily quartiles) and your residency letter will be written differently depending on which section your in.

Anytime you have grades/ranking and premeds/med students you are going to have intense competition. No grades/ranking more cooperation, there well always be gunners/tools regardless.

Agreed. What makes a med school competitive is how competitive your class is naturally. A P/F only system won't change someone's personality.