What happens to the people who don't get in anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fumoffu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A number of interviewers asked me "What will you do if you don't get in anywhere?" I honestly didn't even know how to answer that because even though it was possible, I couldn't imagine myself doing something else. :scared:

So what happens to people who don't get in anywhere? :(

Members don't see this ad.

They go to another country or get jobs. I know someone who now teaches middle school science cause she didn't get in. I know lots of people who went to other countries. Do research, or keep trying to get in here.

If you get asked that in an interview, be sure that you tell them that you will apply again next year. Don't make it look like you are not fully committed to medicine. I say if you don't get in, strengthen your resume with research and clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, when this question is asked, it's a way to see if you have considered other options. When I was asked this question, I didn't think I emphasize on the reapplication aspect. The reality is, because of financial and other reasons, not everyone can afford to reapply.

I mentioned other things that I was interested in, but reiterate that I prefer Medicine over those.

As with most interview questions, the "correct" answer varies from interviewer to interviewer. However, I think the general idea is to express that (1) you learn from your mistakes, and (2) you're committed to medicine. So, you say something about asking schools about your weaknesses and doing whatever was necessary to fix your weaknesses and then reapplying (I think just saying, "I'd reapply" indicates stubborness but not really adaptability). You also mention whatever (research, community service, work, academics, etc.), you'd do in the meantime.

If you want to cut off the question, you just say, "I've already received an acceptance, so it's a moot point."

In terms of those who actually don't get in anywhere and give up on going into medicine, they go do what the 99% of the population who aren't doctors do-- get a non-physician job. Go to graduate school, work in consulting, teach, etc.

you work on the weaknesses of your application which prevented you from getting accepted and you try and try again. questions like that are asked to see if this is just a little stint you are doing to see if you get in...or to see if you are serious and would consider reapplying even if you didnt get in the 1st time...or 2nd time etc...

I have gotten asked this at 2 different interviews and each interviewer was looking for something different.

#1 She wanted to hear my dedication to medicine so she appreciated my commitment to apply again.

#2 He thought it was very mature of me to not say "try again". He liked the fact that I answered with an option outside of medicine. He said it showed maturity.

Bottom line: I guess it depends on how the interview is going.

Oh wait, that wasn't the OPs question was it...

I think most will try re-applying once, if they felt they have a competitive application. Personally, I will re-apply while working or doing research, and if for some reason it's just not meant to work out, I would work in the biotech field before trying for grad school.

Actually, you're all wrong. If a premed doesn't get accepted into medical school their first time through the application process, they instantly explode immediately upon opening and reading the rejection letter from their last school.

'Tis a sad, sad fate for those who don't get it in. But , hey, that's all the more reason to spend Friday and Saturday nights studying and to start getting ready for the MCAT a full year before you plan on taking it.

Improve my application for re-applying while working on getting my foot into the door in a career in law enforcement or military service. I would imagine they are looking for alternate careers that still require some of the general themes of medicine. You could find these in law enforcement or military service, although it may hurt me as I would be getting completely away from science.

However, I am a person of action and hands-on work, so I really don't see myself slaving away in a lab or grad school.

Ah, I hated this question. :) Basically they want to see if you have a backup plan (as opposed to sulking for the next year and wasting 12 months of your life), and, as stated earlier, whether or not you'll try again.

I said I'd either teach or do research for a year.

Luckily, I was able to simply smile and say I didn't think it would be a problem :laugh:

After that, I told them that I'd apply again and seriously consider a career as a PA if the second app fell through. In the mean time, I already had career/business giong that would keep me busy.

I kind of screwed up this question at one of my interviews. One of the questions for that secondary was "What other profession would you choose if you could not go into medicine?" So I answered that I would go into teaching.
During the interview, one of my interviewers asked "What would you do if you didn't get accepted to medical school?" I thought he was talking about the secondary question and assumed that his questoin meant what I would do if med school was no longer an option so I began talking about how I would go into teaching and he interupted me and said "That's not what I wanted to hear, you were supposed to say that you are going to keep trying, do some volunteer work to strenghten your application, maybe bring your VR up, etc.." I tried to cover by saying that of course I would reapply and that I thought his question meant that med school was not an option but I could see he already lost interest and moved to the next question.

The moral of this story, always make sure you know exactly what the interviewer is asking and clarify if you have to. Don't answer the wrong question.

Fumoffu said:
A number of interviewers asked me "What will you do if you don't get in anywhere?" I honestly didn't even know how to answer that because even though it was possible, I couldn't imagine myself doing something else. :scared:

Easy answer: "I will reapply."

JH

Those of us who don't get accepted to medical school curl up and die. Didn't you know that rejection letters cause apoptosis of all cells in your body? Too many rejections and you're done for.

People that don't get in anywhere (after applying multiple cycles) come back on SDN and give everyone hell by trolling the boards (a la "Princetonrocks"; if you don't know who Princetonrocks is, it's a notorious troll who claimed to get all these interviews and acceptances during this application cycle until we caught him/her in dead lies. He/she/it promptly disappeared when we pointed out their lies.)

daveswafford said:
Actually, you're all wrong. If a premed doesn't get accepted into medical school their first time through the application process, they instantly explode immediately upon opening and reading the rejection letter from their last school.

Isn't that just an urban legend? I think I read that on www.snopes.com before.

Fumoffu said:

They become an IMG or they move on to something else in their lives.