What has been the biggest challenge for you this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not a very good writer so writing my personal statement took me a while plus all these secondaries. Plus I have lost any confidence I had. :(
Just out of curiosity what has been your biggest challenge?

Getting LORs/Committee?
Personal Statement?
Secondaries?
Fees $$?
MCAT?
Late Application?
Interviews?
Neurosis (Thanks SDN)?

Members don't see this ad.

man, thats such a hard question to answer from my part. Every part of it was hard, but nothing was terribly difficult. However, to make sure I answer the question, I think I will say fees. Dropping a total of 900 dollars on primary apps is never easy to swallow.

Reactions: 1 user
Writing all of the "what has been your greatest challenge?" essay responses :confused:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7246-1398992969-10_zps4e061fd9.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary essays... mainly "Why are you interested in applying to ____ COM?"

And then you spend an hour or so researching their entire program looking for something unique to say :(

oh and the "please fill in your coursework" DO YOU GUYS NOT LOOK AT MY BEAUTIFUL AMCAS PRIMARY COURSEWORK PAGE!? :mad:

$$ and LOR delays.

Knowing I could have done better in UG.

Last edited:
I have so many interview invites that it is difficult to fit them all into my active work and social calendars.

Though actually, the waiting is hard. Writing secondaries sucks, but at least I felt like I was staying active and making progress. Here comes months of impatient waiting, staring at my email and phone.

Reactions: 1 users
$$$$$$$$

Sorry School X, I don't have $125 burning a hole in my pocket just so I can submit my miniaturized essay on what my greatest weakness is and what I've done to overcome it.

I think interviews will be the most difficult part for me. I'm shuddering just thinking about my first one in a couple of weeks :scared::scared:

The PS was torture. Secondaries were also torture. Writing some secondaries was just like pulling teeth. There are only so many kosher ways to say "I am applying to your school because you have the ability to grant me an MD."

Reactions: 6 users
Waiting for IIs and the constant email checking, I'm grateful for having a few but I never feel secure enough. It's gonna be a longgggg year.

Reactions: 3 users
...LOR delays. Just the medical school application delays as a whole.

Writing all of the "what has been your greatest challenge?" essay responses :confused:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7246-1398992969-10_zps4e061fd9.gif
So true. The prompts were so similar, but asked for different things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think interviews will be the most difficult part for me. I'm shuddering just thinking about my first one in a couple of weeks :scared::scared:

The PS was torture. Secondaries were also torture. Writing some secondaries was just like pulling teeth. There are only so many kosher ways to say "I am applying to your school because you have the ability to grant me an MD."

This +1

I salute to all of you though. Hope we can all get in.

I am not a very good writer so writing my personal statement took me a while plus all these secondaries. Plus I have lost any confidence I had. :(
Just out of curiosity what has been your biggest challenge?

Getting LORs/Committee?
Personal Statement?
Secondaries?
Fees $$?
MCAT?
Late Application?
Interviews?
Neurosis (Thanks SDN)?
The personal statement, secondaries, and MCAT, were all very big challenges till I overcame them. I feel that the interviews will be my biggest challenge by far.

Secondaries. Can't even begin to explain what a difficult time I (and I'm sure everyone else) had writing them...

For me, the biggest challenge has been living with a bunch of people who don't really know anything about the process or the many challenges it brings...I know I'm neurotic but telling me "I know you'll get in" doesn't make me feel better, it just adds pressure!

Finding balance between staying on top of everything and letting go of the things beyond my control.

My biggest challenge is having a 29 on the MCAT with a 6 on the verbal section, but have a good application (even if I do say so myself). Having to re-take the MCAT and set myself 2 months behind in the application process for this cycle is mind-boggling.

Waiting for updates from schools. The rest has all been par for the course.

Not the biggest challenge, but the most miserable time was definitely studying for the MCAT. Secondaries were bad, but not as bad as those months of waking up and not wanting to get out of bed because all that awaited me were my MCAT books. I enjoyed drafting my PS at my leisure, which wasn't the case for secondaries where I had to get home from work and force myself to crank out another most meaningful experience and send it in pronto or fear the wrath of the late application.

But I think interviews will pose the biggest challenge yet.

Not having research from undergrad adds to my neurosis. Other than that, I'm fine.

THE WAIT.

Reactions: 7 users
$$$$$$$$

Sorry School X, I don't have $125 burning a hole in my pocket just so I can submit my miniaturized essay on what my greatest weakness is and what I've done to overcome it.

And the upcoming plane tickets and hotel stays for interview (if). Dear God I'm going to have to double up on my work shifts.

Writing essays was sometimes tedious and required a lot of thought and combing through my past to find viable topics, but I am really appreciative of the experience, especially now that I've moved on to the interview stage. I feel MUCH more prepared to answer questions about my life, my accomplishments, my struggles, etc. now that I've written ~50 essays about these topics. Writing my PS was similar, as it allowed me to very thoughtfully and articulately lay out my reason for wanting to be a physician, which I can now smoothly reiterate for my interviews (instead of trying to figure out the best way to phrase the jumbled, disconnected fragments and excitement that previously occupied my head about the topic). So... writing was not the hardest for me, though I certainly understand why some people really disliked this part.

I think the most difficult part is going to be balancing interviews with school, and trying to stay focused on the thing I'm currently doing instead of stressing/worrying about what's happening later that week or month. While at interviews, I need to be present in the interview and not think about the test that's tomorrow that I am not currently studying for because I'm in an interview. While at school, I need to listen to the lecture and do my homework instead of daydreaming about the trip I'm taking in a few days. On top of that, just balancing and keeping up with everything that's going on in both realms while staying sane.

Waiting is hard too. Doubting yourself is really painful, and wondering if you're good enough or if you're worth it or if you'll make it. I did my fair share of that this summer, and it was definitely a low point. I guess that's a good way to sum everything up... This process is such a rollercoaster of emotions, and it's difficult to stay steady when experiencing these massive highs and sudden swooping lows every few days (yay I got an interview/small pool!!!! to oh I got rejected/failed a test due to being at an interview and missing class).

Reactions: 6 users