What/How to study for in training exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my in-training exam is coming up in September and I honestly have no idea what to study. My program has board reviews once a week but I don't think that will be enough for me to pass the exam. I did all 7 practice cases ABFAS offered for free but I am not sure what else is there to do? Also, what should I expect from the exam? I would appreciate any advice as I have no idea right now. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did board wizards it is very valuable for the case section or CSPM whatever it’s called.

For multiple choice the question banks for boardvitals and board wizards were ok. I think it’s a bit of a crapshoot regardless of what you study. I didn’t read the entirety of mcglamrys or anything like that I just relied on lots of questions and reading the explanations. If I could do it over I would do more reading to be honest. I didn’t do well on the in training I’m not as cool as the other guys here

Members don't see this ad :)
It's basically just classic info (textbooks) and some current research (JFAS, FAI, etc). Use McGlamry, journals, ABFAS practice tests. The ACFAS Clinical Practice Guidelines and Consensus Statements are very good standard of care and overall lit reviews.. they're on the homepage under research and pubs.

PI manual is good for the fundamental procedures, classifications, abx, tumors, etc. Board exams don't really test the newest implant/procedure or the new experimental biologics... they test mainily the proven stuff and standards of care. It's fine to read about some 3D talus print stuff or weird new pilon ex-fix if you are interested, but those have a 0% chance of being on ABFAS... so you had better know basic principles of ankle fusion or the open fracture standards of care first and foremost. ;)

After the core texts and ACFAS stuff, it's just other good texts (Coughlin is comprehensive and excellent for boards, Myerson or Chang or Easley are very good for actual practice but limited for boards imo due to only one technique for each proced, Hyer is hit or miss based on chapters, Rockwood or Browner/Jupiter or Gumann for trauma are good, etc).

...BoardWizards is fine if you have a ton of GME money, but that is costly and you might want to save that until the BQ exam 3rd year when it actually counts.

Why are you studying for an in-training exam? 🤔
Probably because in-training scores are predictive of pass/fail on real ABFAS BQ?
...and BQ ABFAS is now the 3rd year in-training exam. :)

Last edited:
Why are you studying for an in-training exam? 🤔
For ABFAS, a passing grade in your third year in-training exam (for both didactic and CBPS components for foot surgery and RRA surgery boards exams) will count towards the requirement for board qualification and that candidate will become ABFAS board qualified for foot surgery and/or RRA surgery (depending on what exams that candidate passed in the in-training exam).

For ABFAS, a passing grade in your third year in-training exam (for both didactic and CBPS components for foot surgery and RRA surgery boards exams) will count towards the requirement for board qualification and that candidate will become ABFAS board qualified for foot surgery and/or RRA surgery (depending on what exams that candidate passed in the in-training exam).
Must’ve changed from when I was a resident. Good luck!

Wait so my first 2 years of ITE will not count towards board qualification? Are they just for practice then? Don't get me wrong, I will still try to study hard because of PTSD of failing lol

Wait so my first 2 years of ITE will not count towards board qualification? Are they just for practice then? Don't get me wrong, I will still try to study hard because of PTSD of failing lol
Correct the first 2 years don’t matter they’re just for your program director to find out who the dumb ones are

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
It is still good to take the exam seriously and learn the format.
Scores are indicative of how you'll do on future ones... but you don't need to stress until 3rd year BQ.

Reactions: 1 users
I passed all the sections except for Rearfoot CBPS last year (was really close) without any dedicated studying at all. I think the most important thing is to be familiar with the format of the CBPS. I’m planning to practice for the CBPS using board wizards since my residency pays for us to have it. You can use the first two years to gauge how much you actually need to study/practice for it.

My program does not pay for Board Wizards for the first 2 years. Is it a good idea to purchase it with my own money? I am debating if I should buy it or not because it is not cheap but I would also like to be board qualified in the future.

My program does not pay for Board Wizards for the first 2 years. Is it a good idea to purchase it with my own money? I am debating if I should buy it or not because it is not cheap but I would also like to be board qualified in the future.
You need to be board qual if at all possible. Ignore the BS and the ABPM noise... not being BQ ABFAS (or not both Foot + RRA) will get your application tossed out for many jobs after residency (since most of your peers applying will have that). The job market is rough, and it doesn't hurt to study and know more either.

You don't need Board Wizards for the 1st and 2nd year in-training tests... buy books or conf or skills courses. The exams pgy1 and pgy2 are low stakes but should still be treated seriously and you want to learn the format well. Me and others above have said this already. For the pgy1 and pgy2 in-training ABFAS, just study whatever you have and do the ABFAS practice tests (get familiar with CBPS lists of choices). Board Wizards is a good buy 3rd year when the exam counts.

I passed all the sections except for Rearfoot CBPS last year (was really close) without any dedicated studying at all. I think the most important thing is to be familiar with the format of the CBPS. I’m planning to practice for the CBPS using board wizards since my residency pays for us to have it. You can use the first two years to gauge how much you actually need to study/practice for it.

Somebody link the @Adam Smasher post about how to pass CBPS so this person doesn’t waste money on board wizards…

Somebody link the @Adam Smasher post about how to pass CBPS so this person doesn’t waste money on board wizards…
Luckily my residency pays for it so I don’t have to. I took screenshots of Adam Smashers post and basically have it memorized at this point.

Could we still get a link to that post? Would really love to give it a read, as my program doesn’t pay for boardwizards either

Could we still get a link to that post? Would really love to give it a read, as my program doesn’t pay for boardwizards either
Post in: 'ABFAS scores' ABFAS scores

There you go! You should also review the meme thread, because it's awesome.

Does anyone know how high-yield are bone tumors on the exam?

Way more high-yield than they are in real practice.
I agree with Boba.

1691975679387.gif