Good Training versus Name Brand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Weirdy

Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting on behalf of a student considering programs who would like to remain anonymous:

"Would you say that going to good podiatry focused residency puts you at a disadvantage if you're looking for a university hospital job? For example, going to JPS over a program like Vanderbilt if you want to end up in a university job."

TLDR: Should OP choose better training or name brand? Will choosing better training put them at a disadvantage for future job prospects if they are aiming to be university employed? Does this play a role in hiring at all if any?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Posting on behalf of a student considering programs who would like to remain anonymous:
It's an anonymous forum unless one chooses to make it otherwise. :)

This one has been done to death if a search is run...
It depends a bit on individual prefs, but a nice name helps only in certain situations. Choosing a residency (or fellowship) on area or name with the hope of getting a job there is risky at best. Good training and surgical fundamentals, on the other hand, helps always and everywhere through one's whole career.
(but basically, pick training over any factor... a golden name on your CV won't too help much if you get a high energy calc fx or severe cavus foot referral and poop your pants since you never saw that in residency and your skills are ho-hum)

The unfortunate brass tacks are that a lot of "big name" hospitals have very strong ortho presence, even if they don't sponsor an ortho program at that site. Podiatry is there also, but it's hard to get very many good cases - esp enough to feed a power residency program. An Ivy league program can only learn on PowerPoints and publish fancy stuff so much if they are basically doing wounds/amps and triple scrubbing occasional Lisfrancs and quintuple scrubbing the rare TAR that sneaks through the cracks. The power politics of many large univ hospitals is immeasurable; many very skilled DPMs are only using a fraction of their skill set in those setups. That is changing, but it's very slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
The student should ask him or herself why will a university program or high name program hire a new fresh grad when they have more than a dozen podiatrist with experience to choose from within the area. It is wishful thinking trying to pick a program that will land you a university hospital job. All the previous graduates and current graduates from the program are all also aiming for a university hospital job. No one goes into podiatry and choose to end up as a private practice associate however most do due to the poor job market.

TLDR: Should OP choose better training or name brand? Will choosing better training put them at a disadvantage for future job prospects if they are aiming to be university employed? Does this play a role in hiring at all if any?
How??? No place on this earth is getting better training end up being a disadvantage. Does not matter if you training to be a doctor or a plumber or a clown in Disney world.

Best for OP to pick a program with the best training and go from there. Happy New year y'all

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
go where you can get the best training.

Reactions: 1 user
The unfortunate brass tacks are that a lot of "big name" hospitals have very strong ortho presence, even if they don't sponsor an ortho program at that site. Podiatry is there also, but it's hard to get very many good cases - esp enough to feed a power residency program. An Ivy league program can only learn on PowerPoints and publish fancy stuff so much if they are basically doing wounds/amps and triple scrubbing occasional Lisfrancs and quintuple scrubbing the rare TAR that sneaks through the cracks. The power politics of many large univ hospitals is immeasurable; many very skilled DPMs are only using a fraction of their skill set in those setups. That is changing, but it's very slow.
I lol'ed at this. One big name hospital system I was at Ortho was doing 4-5 TARs in the room next door while we were triple scrubbing a toe amp:cryi:. Some of the programs that impressed me the most were the sleeper programs I visited. Residents were very comfortable doing everything.

Some programs are really academic which is great, but no one cares about your research if your surgical skills are crap and outcomes are poor. As you go through the fourth year you should evaluate how comfortable the residents are and how much they're allowed to do.

I lol'ed at this. One big name hospital system I was at Ortho was doing 4-5 TARs in the room next door while we were triple scrubbing a toe amp:cryi:. Some of the programs that impressed me the most were the sleeper programs I visited. Residents were very comfortable doing everything.

Some programs are really academic which is great, but no one cares about your research if your surgical skills are crap and outcomes are poor. As you go through the fourth year you should evaluate how comfortable the residents are and how much they're allowed to do.
This was my experience as well. Can’t emphasize this enough.

Some programs are really academic which is great, but no one cares about your research if your surgical skills are crap and outcomes are poor.
But what if journal club is rocking?! Also dont forget the intense time in off service rotations like uro, ob, optho, path, ot, chiro, and janitorial.

• Haha
But what if journal club is rocking?! Also dont forget the intense time in off service rotations like uro, ob, optho, path, ot, chiro, and janitorial.
Looking forward to the last rotation the most. Maybe I can even sweep a girl off her feet at the end of the training.

"Would you say that going to good podiatry focused residency puts you at a disadvantage if you're looking for a university hospital job? For example, going to JPS over a program like Vanderbilt if you want to end up in a university job."

Nobody outside of podiatry knows the difference between any podiatry residency. Other than some variability in training, the “name brand residencies” are kind of a dick measuring thing within the profession, especially within students and recent residency grads. Residencies change throughout the years and even older podiatrists are not familiar with current residencies.

A university hospital will probably not hire you over someone with 5 years outside experience regardless of your residency. The only exception to this would be if you are related to, are banging, or are a past/current resident of the Chief who is hiring for that hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
A university hospital will probably not hire you over someone with 5 years outside experience regardless of your residency. The only exception to this would be if you are related to, are banging, or are a past/current resident of the Chief who is hiring for that hospital.
Just to add, even at a university hospital, the attendings in private practice who bring cases to residents at the university hospital are also hoping one day to be hired by the university hospital. As a student or residents, know that your attendings in PP are all on the same $100k base with % bonus after collections. The attendings are also all trying to run away from the PP associate mill.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users