What if I don't read the Campbell bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooshkhanom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started reading the Campbell bio and I started getting overwhelmed because of how detailed and long the book actually is and I started feeling like I don't want to study at all.At this point I have put the Campbell aside and wanted to know if there is anyway I can do 20+ on the bio without the Campbell and with Cliff AP bio,Kaplan BB ,Destroyer and Topscore?
This is my second time around and I only studied the Kaplan BB last time which obviously was not enough.
Thanks for your help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

depends on ur foundation. why are u reading the textbook cover to cover? thats just a waste of time. you should be scanning the text for key points in bio and taking short notes. this will also help u in RC. i did well on RC without even practicing.

also, mastering how to breeze thru textbooks will help prepare u for d school.

I read the relevant chapters completely (not only key points) and did end of chapter exercises and problems. It helped me a lot and I think I would've done worse without the reading.

I got 22 on bio and didn't read campbell. I used Cliff AP bio, Kaplan BB, Destroyer and Topscore. But I am a life science major so I do know some basics. most of it was review for me except for taxonomy, photosynthesis, and plant stuff. I had 4 weeks to study. In hindsight, if i had more time I would definatley have read campbell to get the highest score possible. But since I had only 4 weeks, I didn't really have time.

Members don't see this ad :)
moosh khanom jan you will do fine just read the resources most people use and you will do good, I wouldnt read the whole 1000 or so pages of campbell bio.
Movafagh bashi, Idie ghashangie!

I read the relevant chapters completely (not only key points) and did end of chapter exercises and problems. It helped me a lot and I think I would've done worse without the reading.

rereading drives the concept home. I cudnt have said it better myself.

This is from the 2009 DAT Examinee Guide

Biology (40)
Cell and Molecular Biology - origin of life; cell metabolism (including photosynthesis)/enzymology; cellular processes: thermodynamics; organelle structure and function, mitosis/meiosis cell structure, and experimental cell biology

Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (monera, plantae, animalia, protista, fungi, etc.) using the five-kingdom system

Structure and Function of Systems
- integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, immunological, digestive, respiratory, urinary, nervous/senses, endocrine, and reproductive

Developmental Biology
- fertilization, descriptive embryology, developmental mechanisms, and experimental embryology

Genetics - molecular genetics, human genetics, classical genetics, chromosomal genetics, and genetic technology

Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior -
natural selection, population genetics/speciation, cladistics, population and community ecology, ecosystems, and animal behavior (including social behavior).

No where does it say that we have to know the structure of plants and the like, is this the case? Classification is one thing but does that mean we have to actually know plants well?

This is from the 2009 DAT Examinee Guide

Biology (40)
Cell and Molecular Biology - origin of life; cell metabolism (including photosynthesis)/enzymology; cellular processes: thermodynamics; organelle structure and function, mitosis/meiosis cell structure, and experimental cell biology

Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (monera, plantae, animalia, protista, fungi, etc.) using the five-kingdom system

Structure and Function of Systems
- integumentary, skeletal, muscular, circulatory, immunological, digestive, respiratory, urinary, nervous/senses, endocrine, and reproductive

Developmental Biology
- fertilization, descriptive embryology, developmental mechanisms, and experimental embryology

Genetics - molecular genetics, human genetics, classical genetics, chromosomal genetics, and genetic technology

[Evolution, Ecology, and Behavior -
natural selection, population genetics/speciation, cladistics, population and community ecology, ecosystems, and animal behavior (including social behavior). ] Cant stand this ****!!!!

No where does it say that we have to know the structure of plants and the like, is this the case? Classification is one thing but does that mean we have to actually know plants well?

What i plan to do is go through every diagram and just read it. And all the pictures im gonna put them up on my walls. this way i can stare at them to seer them into my memory. I sure hope they dont get too detailed baout the classification portion.

Many people have been able to achieve 20+ in bio without reading entire textbooks. If you study smart and go over your weaknesses using either class notes or review books, you should be fine for the test.

Lots of people have gotten by fine without Campbell, but if you're struggling with the reading, you might want to find some other practice for reading comprehension as well.