what if u dont match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panipuri

resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pgy2 resident.
so what are options left for me to improve cv for next year match?

1) is chief residency better to improve cv or 1 year of research post residency?
2) if latter, then how to apply for a research year? is it through eras or do we have to contact each program separately?
3) do we have to apply for research year in 3rd year or before end of 2nd year?
4) are there any non acgme accredited 1 year fellowship esp in endocrinology? how to go for it?
5) does working as a hospitalist improve cv?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pgy2 resident.
so what are options left for me to improve cv for next year match?

1) is chief residency better to improve cv or 1 year of research post residency?

Overall it probably doesn't matter. But a research gig where you could also moonlight and make some cash would be waaaayyy better than being the whipping boy/girl for every whiny intern (i.e. Chief Resident).

2) if latter, then how to apply for a research year? is it through eras or do we have to contact each program separately?

You have to find a lab or investigator that has work for you to do and money to pay you. There's no centralized service. If you have no research experience, you'll probably have to do this unpaid (see moonlighting above)

3) do we have to apply for research year in 3rd year or before end of 2nd year?

There's no specific timeline but probably about the same time you'd be applying for a clinical job (Nov/Dec of your 3rd year).

4) are there any non acgme accredited 1 year fellowship esp in endocrinology? how to go for it?

I have no idea...but I hope not.

5) does working as a hospitalist improve cv?

Not really, but it gives you contacts and improves your bank account.

My wife will be very happy if I don't match this year..

She is tired of having a poor quality of the life with a 100,000+ loan on our account..

She always wants me to find a job after the residency and start to support the family..