What is a good subspec to have before Sub-I??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Masked Duck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school requires us to do one subspecialty period in medicine or pediatrics. Due to scheduling my pediatric subspecialty is before my Sub-Internship. Of the programs I am looking at for residency, the choices I have during my subspecialty period are Pediatric Infectious disease, Pediatric Endocrinology, and Pediatric Nephrology. I am wondering which of the three subspecialties you feel would help prepare me the most for my Sub-I. I assume it would be infectious disease, but I just want to hear what other people thought.

The other issue I have is that the rotations are offered at different hospitals with the Pediatric Endocrinology and Pediatric Nephrology being offered at the top tier pediatrics program and I would honestly consider a reach program for me. The Pediatric Infectious Disease rotation is being offered at a smaller program, but one that is within my reach. I am wondering whether it is more important to do a subspecialty rotation at the reach program even if it may not be as helpful and maybe get a good letter or do it at the program where I feel I have realistic chance of matching and gain experience in something that will help me for the Sub-I. For the record I would be happy going to either program.

I guess I sorta answered my question already but I wanted to hear other people thoughts.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Our school requires us to do one subspecialty period in medicine or pediatrics. Due to scheduling my pediatric subspecialty is before my Sub-Internship. Of the programs I am looking at for residency, the choices I have during my subspecialty period are Pediatric Infectious disease, Pediatric Endocrinology, and Pediatric Nephrology. I am wondering which of the three subspecialties you feel would help prepare me the most for my Sub-I. I assume it would be infectious disease, but I just want to hear what other people thought.

The other issue I have is that the rotations are offered at different hospitals with the Pediatric Endocrinology and Pediatric Nephrology being offered at the top tier pediatrics program and I would honestly consider a reach program for me. The Pediatric Infectious Disease rotation is being offered at a smaller program, but one that is within my reach. I am wondering whether it is more important to do a subspecialty rotation at the reach program even if it may not be as helpful and maybe get a good letter or do it at the program where I feel I have realistic chance of matching and gain experience in something that will help me for the Sub-I. For the record I would be happy going to either program.

I guess I sorta answered my question already but I wanted to hear other people thoughts.

Thanks!

It really doesn't matter that much. All are good options, even nephrology. ID sees the whole hospital and is always everyone's pick, but it isn't that big a deal.

I am no expert, but I would choose your weakest subject. My adviser recommended to me to use part of 4th yr to relax and enjoy, and part of it to improve on your weak points. For me, I would choose nephro just because that's a common problem system and one I don't feel very comfortable handling.

But I really don't think you can go wrong here :)