what is considered an early application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would an application sent in late august be considered early?

Members don't see this ad.

jav316 said:
would an application sent in late august be considered early?

No, i would say in may or june..

^i agree with jamesd. if you're submitting stuff in late august, you're already at the beginning of the big bulk of ppl applying. by even mid august, most of the top schools (re: all the ivies, cali schools, etc) are sending out interview letters to the "early" applicants.

if you know what you want, why not just apply as early as possible? if your LORs are already in order, i'd say apply during mid may when the application first becomes available. you can always update later. by the first week of june last year, the AADSAS number was already up to 1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your replies. i am planning to take a summer course and wanted to wait for those grades before i applied. i guess i can apply and then update. one class won't make a major change in my gpa.

vandy_yankee said:
^i agree with jamesd. if you're submitting stuff in late august, you're already at the beginning of the big bulk of ppl applying. by even mid august, most of the top schools (re: all the ivies, cali schools, etc) are sending out interview letters to the "early" applicants.

if you know what you want, why not just apply as early as possible? if your LORs are already in order, i'd say apply during mid may when the application first becomes available. you can always update later. by the first week of june last year, the AADSAS number was already up to 1000.

Applying in May will give you a much bigger advantage than applying in August with one more class on your transcript.

I applied AUG 12 and hit the point where lots of other apps hit: My number was over 3700 and did not get to the schools until the first week in October--and all my stuff (LOR, transcripts) was in proper order.

Don't wait for that "last class" or the DAT's to complete your app. Wish I'd been an SDN member back then!

People tell me to get your app processed as soon as possible. But you also need to have your DAT scores LORs done aswell, because some schools won't review your app until they have everything. So if you get your app in May and turn out to be #500 but plan to take your DAT in August, you might as well be #5000.