What is considered early/normal/late secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostnconfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what is considered early/normal/late for this cycle since I know the timeline is a little different this time with the new MCAT. I'm about half way done with my secondaries but I see myself working on them into the end of August and perhaps even early September. I have secondaries that I am turning around in 3-4 weeks. Is that too late?

Also, does anybody know which order the applications are reviewed up - primary or secondary submission?

Members don't see this ad.

Early secondaries are turned in during July and early August. Normal is turned in during the rest of August and maybe first week of sept. Late is after that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering what is considered early/normal/late for this cycle since I know the timeline is a little different this time with the new MCAT. I'm about half way done with my secondaries but I see myself working on them into the end of August and perhaps even early September. I have secondaries that I am turning around in 3-4 weeks. Is that too late?

Also, does anybody know which order the applications are reviewed up - primary or secondary submission?

3-4 weeks seems like a long time to sit on one secondary. I didn't spend more than 1-2 days on any one secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also keep in mind that for some schools it takes a few days to mark you complete after receiving everything. Probably best to have everything in by August 25th or at least that's what I'm trying to do.

Reactions: 1 users
I try to get any secondary I receive turned in maximum 2 weeks after I receive it. My actual turn around time is more like 5 days, but I have turned in a few secondaries 2 weeks after receiving.
Like others have said, after labour day is late. But if you receive a secondary after that time, try to get it in ASAP and don't sit on it.

Thank you so much everyone, all of that was very insightful!!!

I submitted all my primaries at once, and received secondaries in batches of ~10-20s so that's why it's taking me so long. I wouldn't advise doing that for anyone going forward, pace your primary submissions after you have been verified.

Thanks again everyone!!

Also, just as a casual reminder, the so-called "2 week rule" is BS

Get them out fast but actual date of completion matters infinitely more than turnaround time, because turnaround time doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: 2 users

Get them out fast but actual date of completion matters infinitely more than turnaround time, because turnaround time doesn't matter at all.

Except for Wake Forest.. They have a real two week deadline.

QFT. I came here to say this. When @WedgeDawg and I were applying a robust 2 years ago it seemed like every forum said if you don't get your secondaries turned around in a few days or at worst 2 weeks, then the school was going to take that as a sign of a lack of interest. n=1 but it didn't affect me at all, and logically doesn't make a ton of sense because it implies they take the time to care about when they sent you a secondary invite. I waited on many of my secondaries because I had a letter writer who was dragging and I wanted my secondaries to be as up to date and well done as possible before I submitted. I ended up going to the school that I was complete at the very last.

This is a good caveat. Some schools have deadlines and those need to be met. UNC/UGA are two that I remember having timelines from your invite. This is definitely something to pay attention to and read the entire secondary email to look for. But schools that you have until their actual application deadline to submit by only need to be done as efficiently as possible.

Yes you're right - if the school explicitly states they want the secondary turned around in a specific amount of time, then you should heed their advice. Information given by the schools themselves supersedes any advice we give here. As I remember, UCSF has a 4 week turnaround time too. But for the vast majority of schools, it doesn't matter.

OP - it is more like it is on time or late. If you look up the submission date x time to verify app chart, it is clear that students submitting in June and July are at a clear advantage. I'd say that for allopathic you should submit as early as you can.