What is it really like as a medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTfutureMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that people use the analogy the medical school is like trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. But I am curious, to what extent medical students actually master information at hand. Does part one of the USMLE get into the nitty gritty details or are you expected to have just a general understanding of concepts?

How much time do students have to review information that they learned weeks before, or is there no time for this?

Lastly, what do you know now as a medical student, that you wish you knew when you were researching and applying to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I have graduated from medical school. You simply have no idea what you are getting into, nothing can prepare you for the rigors of medical school and residency. During med school and residency this career will take over every aspect of your life and you should be prepared for this, it will consume you. You must be ready to completely submit to this career and what for? If you go to private med school you will be crushed under a massive debt load, you will likely not be well off unless you are competitive enough for the most desirable fields. The current medico-legal environment is no fun to practice in, defensive medicine rules the day. You must very seriously think about your decision to go to medical school, it will change your life; good and bad.

I have graduated from medical school. You simply have no idea what you are getting into, nothing can prepare you for the rigors of medical school and residency. During med school and residency this career will take over every aspect of your life and you should be prepared for this, it will consume you. You must be ready to completely submit to this career and what for? If you go to private med school you will be crushed under a massive debt load, you will likely not be well off unless you are competitive enough for the most desirable fields. The current medico-legal environment is no fun to practice in, defensive medicine rules the day. You must very seriously think about your decision to go to medical school, it will change your life; good and bad.

I'm seriously considering indebtedness and that will be a primary factor for school selection. Ir assessment is sobering about med school. What's are ur hours like as a resident, how much free time do you get a day/week to spend with say family/friend or self..

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical school was interesting and challenging for me. I had good study skills in addition to good time management skills. It didn't "consume" me and practice/residency was all about learning how to get what you need for your patients and solving their problems. I knew what medicine entailed before I entered this profession and I'm not disappointed on this end. I enjoy my practice and wouldn't have any other profession.

Medicine has been a great opportunity to have an impact on my community in many ways. I wasn't expecting to become a "higher life form" when I received my MD. If you enjoy your work, then it isn't.

The USMLE exams, especially the first one, involves a lot of recall of the "nitty gritty" details of medicine. Happy memorizing and good luck!