What is something you wish you knew before starting fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikMik6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Will be starting fellowship in July and I'm super excited!

What are some things you wish you knew before starting fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

There is only suffering.

Nah jk, I would definitely make sure you can do the important procedures by yourself. The way our rotations are setup, we had to solo cover night float starting from day 1 of fellowship, and while anesthesia can intubate your patients for you, all lines needed to be placed at night by you, so of course you needed to be sure you knew how to do those.

You're a subspecialty consultant now, not an internist. There's a reason we refer back to primary care and/or onward to other specialties instead of handling problem ourselves (heart failure, renal failure, diabetes, etc.).

Members don't see this ad :)
That pulmonary outpatients only seem to have government insurance that has **** compensation which is why cardiology/GI/Onc all pay way better.

Reactions: 1 users
That pulmonary outpatients only seem to have government insurance that has **** compensation which is why cardiology/GI/Onc all pay way better.
Are there jobs out there that have a mix of inpatient consults and icu. Like minus the outpatient part?

Are there jobs out there that have a mix of inpatient consults and icu. Like minus the outpatient part?
Yes. There is every possible combination out there. PCCM has enough demand that you can do pure CCM, pure pulm outpatient, or pulmonary inpatient/outpatient. If you do a sleep fellowship than you can do a pulm/sleep combo. Or pulm/sleep/cc. I’ve even seen someone who practices only sleep and CCM, no pulm.

Edit: typo

Reactions: 1 users