What is the absolute max for number of LoRs (for MD/PhD programs)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sarasa Zebra

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To make this thread useful for others in the forum, I'll generalize the question a bit. What would the answer be for the two scenarios where:

(1) Your school has a pre-health advising committee and writes a committee letter for MD/PhD applicants
(2) You must submit letters yourself through AMCAS

I'm looking through medical schools' admissions webpages, but most seem to only list minimums and maximums for MD-only applicants. For MD/PhD applicants, I was under the impression that you often will be able to submit as many letters of recommendations from PIs, in addition to the science/non-science letters. Also, how would this change depending on whether or not your institution writes committee letters for applicants?

Thanks all!