What is the hardest class that you have ever taken?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Creative Nonfiction. I had no idea what were supposed to write most of the time...

Members don't see this ad.

General Chemistry I. Seriously. It was through the Honors Program and the professor was a graduate level physical chemistry professor. It was his first time EVER teaching the course. A lot of people called it Death Chem I. Aye.

THIS.
I am a 3rd yr chem major and I thought gen chem 1+2 was WAY harder than orgo, bio, or biochem. Idk if it was my school or my study habits but i got a C in genchem2 and As in orgo 1+2

Obviously there are a lot of hard classes and it's hard to compare what's hard about to what's hard about another, but...

One of the hardest classes I ever took was trigonometry (in high school). Waaay harder than calculus if you ask me, but it might have been easier if I wasn't skipping so much school haha

Another was my History of East Asia (Pre-1800). The names in the textbook weren't consistently transliterated, so it was hard to tell if the Tsang clan was the same group as the Zhang clan (made up example). And the professor barely spoke English, so it was pretty useless being in class. Could have been a very cool class, but I ended up learning next to nothing :( despite the A.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously there are a lot of hard classes and it's hard to compare what's hard about to what's hard about another, but...

One of the hardest classes I ever took was trigonometry (in high school). Waaay harder than calculus if you ask me, but it might have been easier if I wasn't skipping so much school haha

Another was my History of East Asia (Pre-1800). The names in the textbook weren't consistently transliterated, so it was hard to tell if the Tsang clan was the same group as the Zhang clan (made up example). And the professor barely spoke English, so it was pretty useless being in class. Could have been a very cool class, but I ended up learning next to nothing :( despite the A.

I recently wrote a paper on Mongolian trade. I had the same problem with transliterations.

Organic 1 because nothing at all made sense.

lol, Organic Chem 1 so far is my favorite science class ever.
My hardest class is between a class called, Foundations of Biology, it was thought horribly, and I started doing great in it, but the final was ridiculous. I passed it with a C, killed my GPA , and a lit class, I took it without looking at the course number or anything, it was level 400 class, and at times I thought I was going to fail it, english isnt exactly my first language and I can write decent but I make grammar mistakes I am not even aware of. Long story short, I put a hell of a lot of effort into it, and I got B :D .

I was taking Organic 1 at the same time as the above classes, and I loved Organic compared to those classes, other people at the time were dying from organic, but for me different story.

Calc II :(
I enjoyed it but it definitely took a lot of work.

Cellular Biology. I think it was harder than Calc 3 and possibly even Linear Algebra (I'm a math geek though xD)

modern instrumental chemical analysis
mind you i took this in hs, along with quantitative analysis and orgo and AP econ QQ

No hard classes really yet. Maybe I went to an easy school though.

Organic was pretty tough, but at my school, genetics was totally the hardest class. People failed regularly. I worked harder in that class than any other and pulled an A-! Go me! haha

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean, you don't like Siddhartha? :laugh:

I take the numeric keyboarding thing back. I went to a small Christian university for my undergraduate degree and had to take biblical perspectives. :barf:

You went to a Christian university and didn't like learning the Bible?? Hm.

Algebra II. I never could wrap my head around the Hopf Fibration.

Freshman bio was probably the class I had the most trouble with. I never had to study in hs and bio was a rude awakening to college. Toughest class overall was molecular biology of cancer.

Without a doubt Lithography-

It's like a gen chem lab, with no real equipment, just a little theory, a 600lb rock and some black grease... and you have to turn it into Art, and then defend your work and contextualize your imagery within the confines of post-modern art theory. Let's just say there over 150 steps that go into producing an image and if you mess any one of them up you start the 2 week process over again.

I think equations in physics were hardest to grasp and understand conceptually. I remember spending like 3 hours trying to figure out why force of gravity was mgcos instead of mgsin on one of those incline problems. I went to sleep and I started dreaming about it. I figured it out in my dream and when I woke up I completely understood it. Stuff like this has happened to me in orgo , chem, bio and I don't know how many times. Has something like this happened to anybody? Or am I just weird? lol

I think equations in physics were hardest to grasp and understand conceptually. I remember spending like 3 hours trying to figure out why force of gravity was mgcos instead of mgsin on one of those incline problems. I went to sleep and I started dreaming about it. I figured it out in my dream and when I woke up I completely understood it. Stuff like this has happened to me in orgo , chem, bio and I don't know how many times. Has something like this happened to anybody? Or am I just weird? lol

Lmfao!

I wish I could do that :wtf:

US History. I was an international student from Asia.

Professor: "Okay class, we can skip the Constitutional Convention lecture, since you know about it already. But it will be on the midterm."

Me: "The what?!"

We also skipped the events leading up to the Declaration of Independence and the MLK/Civil rights lecture.

lol i feel ya

of the classes i really dug into enough to get a vote: fluid mechanics

otherwise maybe math methods in engineering - my worst grade and i truly had no idea what was going on there (24 hour time limit on a take home test? not enough. i will still have no clue how to answer your questions...). but i think this was my freshman year wake up call, too, where i just hoped it would "make more sense later" and i didn't jump on the issues i had immediately. that was le stupid.

the dreaming about it part, yes i do. i'll even integrate myself into the problem (dude... it's like I AM mgcostheta... whoaa... I need to solve for my theta, THEN I can wake up and do my homework.. I can't get up right now though because I'm on the verge of a breakthrough...).

the waking up and having it all be any more than my mind's elaborate ruse to trick me into sleeping longer instead of getting off my rump and working, no... not so much :laugh:

All my nursing classes have gotten progressively harder and harder. My last nursing class was Adults/Gero, so that is the hardest one I've ever taken.

Yes, harder than orgo and any science ever. Got a C, and switched majors last week.

Intermediate/Advanced Bowling - You had to score above a 200 to pass.

Intermediate/Advanced Bowling - You had to score above a 200 to pass.

LOL. well i definitely woulda failed the heck out of that class. i need intermediate bowling with bumpers :)

Ochem..biochem...not "hard" in that all it required was more work than you usually did. I'd say Seminar in Composition. I couldn't stand that class, sitting in a circle talking about God knows what.

LOL. well i definitely woulda failed the heck out of that class. i need intermediate bowling with bumpers :)
Introduction to Drawing I. It was THE most boring class that I've taken in my entire life. The instructor had set up a projector to show the class different drawing techniques. However, the projector was crappy we couldn't see the lines that the artists were drawing until they finished the portrait. We literally spent half of a three hour night class watching an old guys hand move across a blank background.

Last edited:
As of right now I would have to say this biology class that was required for premeds(no longer). It was basically on all useless stuff like phylums etc and looking at a random piece of tree bark with a pin in it and identifying wtf it was lol..

As of right now I would have to say this biology class ....looking at a random piece of tree bark with a pin in it and identifying wtf it was lol..

this was how i remembered our lab practicals in bio... it is part of the reason why i didn't take the 2nd term of bio since i was already doing physics... the timed stations IDing stuff in the practical were crazy - i sure hope i like it better in med school when it's about something i like more than bark and plant reproductive bits...

There's no such thing as a difficult class. I am pre-med.

Lets see. For my non major classes it was "Staging Gender". There were 22 girls in the class and 3 guys. It was a man hating class about how men dominate society and they didn't like it. Very uncomfortable...
Hardest class in my major was Anatomy and Physiology. Probably took the most time to study for.

I am a Chemistry major and P. Chem was easy to me I deserve an A minus but the teacher gave me a B+ because I had to take her to the Dean and Depart Chair lol
Plus she was worried about some curve

For me Physics and Linear Algebra
I got my FIRST AND ONLY C+ in Linear Algebra (and the sad thing is I don't need it to graduate) :(

I remember hating geometry in high school. I HATED PROOFS. :(

I wonder how I would do now.

Gotta be Gen Chem II. Averages were around 40% on exams... Curved of course, but mind-numbing all the way through. Prof was your standard "thinks he's hot****" researcher/prof.

A&P was the hardest class I took. Professor made it so hard that 60% of the class manage to get a failing grade each semester. I swear I made like 350 notecards for each of his 4 tests. 350x4=1400 freakin note cards for one class in a semester.

no, I do that also. I'll study so hard that I'll go to bed and it'll haunt my dreams for the entirety of the night. I'll wake up and understand it better in the morning however.

"Space Policy and International Implications" Only time I've ever cried after a midterm or final. Luckily I did get an A in the course.

right now, it's gotta be physics 2. I took phys 1 exactly one year before doing phys 2, and I am certain that I should of taken them back to back now. I don't remember a thing.

right now, it's gotta be physics 2. I took phys 1 exactly one year before doing phys 2, and I am certain that I should of taken them back to back now. I don't remember a thing.

I start physics 2 in four days. It should be brutal.
Luckily I just finished physics 1 :)

Continuum Mechanics. Sucks when 1/2 of the class (grad students) drop it before the final, while the 5 undergrads in the class are stuck with no drop option.

Abstract Algebra II?

The class was just called "Algebra II", but yeah. It was pretty abstract. I actually took the Algebra sequence specifically because I had heard that Algebra II was the hardest undergrad math class at the school. And so I guess I got what I wanted.

O-CHEM.

harder than any astrophysics, foreign language, or grad-level course in any discipline, for me.

my school has a pretty significant chinese population (this class - probably 99%) and my lecturer started answering questions about the exam in cantonese.....

i basically cried. just this stupid blonde girl, not understanding a word of canton.....

life is cruel.

Whoa, that's rough. Orgo is hard enough as it is.