What is the hardest class that you have ever taken?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O-CHEM.

harder than any astrophysics, foreign language, or grad-level course in any discipline, for me.

my school has a pretty significant chinese population (this class - probably 99%) and my lecturer started answering questions about the exam in cantonese.....

i basically cried. just this stupid blonde girl, not understanding a word of canton.....

life is cruel.

:eek: That is a nightmare beyond nightmares. You don't happen to go to school in China, do you?

Members don't see this ad.

Quantitative Chemical Analysis. Disgusting. I still get nauseous when I think of the grade scale (91-100 = A).

Underwater Basket Weaving II. For the final we had to weave an entire basket...underwater. Coming up for breath = failure. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Physical Chemistry Principles, an advance level chemistry for my minor! That was the death of me! I despised that class so much, I doubt if I learnt anything from it.

I won't forget to mention Biochemistry as well...these two were the worst classes of my undergrad years! Good riddance!

Pchem. It was an amazing class but extremely hard. Luckily, I only need one semester as a Biochem major :D

Developmental Biology. It was the only class in undergrad that left me feeling like I had been brutally beaten, raped, and mind-f***ed by the end of the semester. Ended up with my first and last C.

Excuse: I was taking Physics (elec/light), Physics Lab, Ochem II, Ochem Lab, and first-year Spanish in the same semester. Might've contributed to the aforementioned a**rape, but who knows? F*** that class.

I would say either Organic Chemistry 2...with the 40% average on exams, or Biochemistry taught by the medical school, insane amount of memorizing.

Molecular Cell Biology, because the prof was insane and wanted us to know pretty much every single minute detail in the massive textbook. Or maybe biochemistry lab, which was 5 hours long, pretty annoying, and required me to write book-length lab reports each week. I got an A in both by seriously neglecting sleeping.

Literary theory

I'm an English major. Somehow I got stuck taking this first semester freshman year instead of senior year when most of the majors take it. Try understanding the definition of a word when the author defines it by using that word 13 times in the same sentence. Seriously, this was the class from hell... it did improve my writing skills a lot though.

Any class in which the professor does not speak english very well/ at all. For me, this was Calc 1. To make it worse, my discussion session AI only answered questions in mandarin (she couldn't in english)

Instrumental Methods (chem course). The prof. was awful, I remember asking her a question about something the class was working on, she told me to not think about it in terms of physics (when it was a circuits question). I showed her the answer I had gotten, doing it the physics way, she said it was wrong. She then proceeded to explain the answer, and guess what, my answer was correct. Other students got questions wrong on an exam, showed her that she marked them wrong because she had wanted something she had not asked for on the exam, she admitted that she should not have marked everyone wrong, but said she would not give the points back because she would then have to give everyone who actually got the question correct, points back. Also, the concept of extra credit eludes her, she counts it as total rather than extra. Besides this going on for the semester, she was horrible at teaching the subject.

Inorganic analytical chemistry in college and anatomy in medical school. Fortunately, the chem class had a curve, as our highest grade was a 63... He never left us forget how inadequate all of us were. Worst experience ever...

Members don't see this ad :)
Inorganic analytical chemistry in college and anatomy in medical school. Fortunately, the chem class had a curve, as our highest grade was a 63... He never left us forget how inadequate all of us were. Worst experience ever...

You've got to love those professors. In one sense you want to hate them, but then you empathetically realize that it is probably due to some major childhood insecurities and you let it go :) (or you don't :mad:)

Developmental Biology. It was the only class in undergrad that left me feeling like I had been brutally beaten, raped, and mind-f***ed by the end of the semester. Ended up with my first and last C.

Excuse: I was taking Physics (elec/light), Physics Lab, Ochem II, Ochem Lab, and first-year Spanish in the same semester. Might've contributed to the aforementioned a**rape, but who knows? F*** that class.

I heard awful things about that class, and so I put it off until senior year. It's definitely a pain in the ass.

Hopefully I don't lose any acceptances once I send in my final transcript and they realize I got a C in it, lol.

I heard awful things about that class, and so I put it off until senior year. It's definitely a pain in the ass.

Hopefully I don't lose any acceptances once I send in my final transcript and they realize I got a C in it, lol.

A lot of my friends that took that class also got C's. :( Horrible. I'm not saying it was impossible to do well in that class, but it was damn near for someone like me at the time. Most of the students were in their junior/senior year, and I should've dropped it when he mentioned that it is helpful to have taken other upper-division classes. That was my first one.

Didn't drop a single class during ugrad, but that's not really anything to be proud of. Damn GPA could've been salvaged..

In undergrad it was Organic 1, in medical school so far it was our neuroscience course.

What is the hardest class that you have ever taken?

Definitely Greek Literature. Most ridiculous class I've ever taken. The teacher sent everyone an email from a previous student saying how happy she was that she received a "D" in the course because she had worked so hard for it. Nuff said -_-

Definitely Greek Literature. Most ridiculous class I've ever taken. The teacher sent everyone an email from a previous student saying how happy she was that she received a "D" in the course because she had worked so hard for it. Nuff said -_-

Yeah, assuming you are talking about literature in ancient Greek (as opposed to greek lit in translation), it is truly one of the hardest classes to do well in. Not only is the subject matter difficult, the type that tend to teach it are pretentious. However, your situation seems a bit extreme. Even in Greek, if you truly work your tail off to get a grade you are content with, and still get a D, there is a serious problem with your study habits. That, or the professor is a complete jerk, but if the top students were getting Ds I'm pretty sure some sort of action would be taken.

There seems to be a chemistry theme and a my-professor-was-awful/didn't-speak-English in this thread... I wonder what that says about chemistry majors. Maybe we should have had bonus points in admissions for being traumatized by our majors...

My new vote is linear algebra. Not because the math is difficult (in fact it's ridiculously easy), it's just that I have no idea what the f is going on 99% of the time because it's taught with zero application or intuition and the book is super formalized. :thumbdown:

There seems to be a chemistry theme and a my-professor-was-awful/didn't-speak-English in this thread... I wonder what that says about chemistry majors. Maybe we should have had bonus points in admissions for being traumatized by our majors...

Top 1% of the population bro.

Just got out of first Pchem Midterm.

I change my mind, Pchem is the hardest class I have taken so far.