What is the TRUE medical school acceptance rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheElement

Being Lazzy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools list ridiculous numbers like several thousands apply and only a hundred or so get in usually but this doesn't take into account applicants applying all over the place and other factors. Does anyone have data that gives the general idea of how many people get in? (Like 1 in 4, 5, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Somewhere around twice as the class size is accepted, with another 100-200 on the waitlist.

take the number of unique applicants and divide by the number of spots. I think this is around 1/2

Members don't see this ad :)
probably closer to 1/3 this year from the high app volume.

After what? Applying? Getting an interview? Waitlist actually becoming an acceptance? There are a bunch of numbers out there!

The real important one is Interview -> Acceptance and that's around 30-40%. Of course, the let people in up until the last day before classes so it might be a bit overinflated compared to realistic numbers (you really don't want to count on getting in in July)

i think op meant how many total applicants matriculate into medical school.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but look at this data http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/2006summary.htm

In 2006:
39,108 people applied
18,442 got accepted somewhere
17,370 matriculated

The acceptance rate is thus 47.16%. If you want to know how what percentage of applicants are accepted to each school, that's trickier; the MSAR has matriculation but not acceptance info. I think there may be other sources with acceptance info for individual schools.

47.16 sounds great but it sure doesn't feel like it does it?

Keep in mind that some of the weakest applicants never get a single interview while others will have >5 interviews. Some of these people with multiple interviews are offered admission to more than one school. Obviously, these applicants may attend only one school which means that the school(s) turned down by that applicant need to make another offer to fill the seat.

I'd be willing to bet that every school has some offers refused (aside from Corleone School of Medicine but that's a special case) which means that every school is going to make 1.5 to 4 offers for every open seat.

So, if a school has 100 seats, it may receive 5,000 applicants, interview 500 and make offers to 250 to fill those 100 seats.

Hmm...do you think there are more interviews given out october through december, or january through march? Just wondering.

47.16 sounds great but it sure doesn't feel like it does it?

Right you are my friend...it sure doesn't feel like it. It feels more like 10%, and they are always pulled from a hat somewhere

Right you are my friend...it sure doesn't feel like it. It feels more like 10%, and they are always pulled from a hat somewhere

I get the total opposite feeling at WashU.

Hmm...do you think there are more interviews given out october through december, or january through march? Just wondering.

At my school the same number are invited week by week throughout the interview season with time off for the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year). Some schools may increase the number of applicants per week toward the end as they try to squeeze in a few more great candidates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyM
Corleone School of Medicine

Should I know what that is?

GODFATHER!

"...an offer he can't refuse.."

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking, but look at this data http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/2006summary.htm

In 2006:
39,108 people applied
17,370 matriculated

The acceptance rate is thus 47.16%. If you want to know how what percentage of applicants are accepted to each school, that's trickier; the MSAR has matriculation but not acceptance info. I think there may be other sources with acceptance info for individual schools.

Also, take into account with the 39,108 people who apply, there are thousands of applicants who apply to both AACOMAS and AMCAS. There are many students applying and intending to go into a DO program, but also apply to their state MD schools or apply to some other specific MD schools as well. They may not get accepted into an MD, or maybe they do, but they ultimately do matriculate into DO programs. So I feel it is safe to assume that the acceptance rate of people intending to go to MD programs is actually at or a little above 50%.

anyone know where to find the acceptance rates for those applying EDP?
I tried using the search function, but all I really found were individuals talking abuot THEIR experience with EDP or asking whether or not they should apply EDP...

If the acceptance rate is around 1/2 then why does it seem like you have to like **** gold or something in order to get into medical school. (An overexaggeration, At least on these boards, especially the MCAT forums).

I wish people were more relaxed about the process rather than making it seem like we're all doomed. (or most of us)

Hah! That's very easy to say coming from someone applying a year from now with a 35 MCAT, a 3.97 gpa and Texas residency. :p

Hmm... not to rag on him some more, but... yeah.

If the acceptance rate is around 1/2 then why does it seem like you have to like **** gold or something in order to get into medical school. (An overexaggeration, At least on these boards, especially the MCAT forums).

I wish people were more relaxed about the process rather than making it seem like we're all doomed. (or most of us)

Keep in mind that not everyone who matriculates gets an offer before March 15. Some go to waitlist hell and sit for weeks waiting for the superstars to decline some of their many offers.

Still, the ~17,000 who do not matriculate at an allopathic school (some go to osteopathic schools & some go offshore) are 17,000 broken dreams.

Go here to look at Univ Michigan student acceptance based on their GPAs and MCAT scores. This is a population of 600 or so and will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
http://careercenter.umich.edu/students/healthmedlaw/med/medappstats.htm

Generally speaking, the gross statistic is about 44% of med school applicants get matriculated. But since that is a composite of first time apps and reapps the breakdown is about 48% of first time apps get matriculated and about 33% of reapps get matriculated.

nonlocality

In 2006:
39,108 people applied
17,370 matriculated

wow, I can't believe that over a thousand people get in but choose not to go

Go here to look at Univ Michigan student acceptance based on their GPAs and MCAT scores. This is a population of 600 or so and will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.
http://careercenter.umich.edu/students/healthmedlaw/med/medappstats.htm

Generally speaking, the gross statistic is about 44% of med school applicants get matriculated. But since that is a composite of first time apps and reapps the breakdown is about 48% of first time apps get matriculated and about 33% of reapps get matriculated.

nonlocality
I find this hard to believe 45% of ppl with a 2.6-2.8 get in??

wow, I can't believe that over a thousand people get in but choose not to go

I'm guessing it is people who decided to go to a DO school instead, or maybe people who deferred a year.

If you think 1/2 is bad. A much older doctor who teaches me was doing my portfolio advising and telling me about when he applied. There was 1 slot in med school for every 7 applicants back then. Apparently we have it easy.

Below a GPA of about 2.8 there is not enough samples to be significant, so ignore those results. Likewise for MCAT scores below the 20-24 bracket.

What is interesting about this data is it SUGGESTS the answer to the following two questions.
1. What is the relative importance of math/science GPA to cumulative GPA.
2. What is the relative importance of MCAT score to GPA

nonlocality

when I interviewed at GT they said once you have interviewed it's 1 to 3 and Temple 1 to 2 and Drexel 1 to 4. I love GT I so hope I get in!!!! I don't care that it is very expensive

who are these people with a 2.6-2.8?? :confused:

Probably non-trads with excellent graduate and/or post-bac performances for whom the low grades were far enough in the past to not be as relevant. Besides, there will be outliers in any process.

Hah! That's very easy to say coming from someone applying a year from now with a 35 MCAT, a 3.97 gpa and Texas residency. :p
Hmm... not to rag on him some more, but... yeah.

Sorry if I rubbed some people the wrong way. I know it's a very tough process and stressful as well. There's no guarantee for anyone that they'd get into medical school for sure, and the same goes for me. I was just trying to say that some people make it seem like it's impossible while the numbers say otherwise. (And these are the people that have good stats)

Keep in mind that not everyone who matriculates gets an offer before March 15. Some go to waitlist hell and sit for weeks waiting for the superstars to decline some of their many offers.

Still, the ~17,000 who do not matriculate at an allopathic school (some go to osteopathic schools & some go offshore) are 17,000 broken dreams.

Does anybody know, of the 17,000 rejected, how many go to DO schools? I guess this would be difficult to figure out, but does anyone have an estimate? Also, can someone post simliar stats for DO schools (i.e. How many apply and how many matriculate)?

Sorry if I rubbed some people the wrong way. I know it's a very tough process and stressful as well. There's no guarantee for anyone that they'd get into medical school for sure, and the same goes for me. I was just trying to say that some people make it seem like it's impossible while the numbers say otherwise. (And these are the people that have good stats)

Because it is easier to show statistics and debate objective things over subjective ones, that's what everyone spends their time on.