You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What is the WORST medical school?
Started by Necr0sis713
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Harvard and it isn't even close.
So what is the absolute worst medical school out there at the moment?
The school that sends you a rejection email
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Of US MD schools, my vote goes to California Northstate (perhaps the only for-profit US medical school).
define worst?
There are many kinds of worst!define worst?
We could probably distinguish three major kinds:
A) Trains bad doctors
B) Has a toxic learning environment
C) Terrible value for money
Cali Northstate is likely to win the crown for C one of these days if it hasn't already. Not sure about the other two though.
Princeton's is absolute rubbish.
Not defending CNU, couldn't care less about that school, but this whole notion of for profit and not for profit schools is bs. EVERY US med school has an incentive to make money. Academic institutions are still businesses, they have people running the school who desire to make money for themselves and the institution. Just because all these schools have academic, social justice, and humanitarian focuses doesn't mean that financial and profit incentives don't impact the decisions they make. If you think otherwise, you need to open your eyes. Behind the scenes the differences between CNU and any other med school in terms of business model, finance, and profit (not education quality) is much more similar than you think. I'd like to see your analysis on the differences and definitions of CNU's for profit business model versus other medical schools.Of US MD schools, my vote goes to California Northstate (perhaps the only for-profit US medical school).
Last edited:
Any where the interest is profit not in developing their medical education or producing physicians.
There some islands known as the Caribbean where you might find a school or two(or twenty) like this.
There some islands known as the Caribbean where you might find a school or two(or twenty) like this.
Just as a side note on the for profit thing, RVUCOM is for-profit (and, gasp, a DO school), and I have yet to see any students say anything negative about the school.
Of course, I haven't looked much. Just on SDN.
Of course, I haven't looked much. Just on SDN.
Hollywood Upstairs Medical College
I heard last year they couldn't even graduate any students! For shame!Princeton's is absolute rubbish.
D
deleted407021
Huh, I'd say those that have yet to have a class take USMLE/COMLEX or send a class to clinicals, or those offering poor clinical education.
To my mind, it's not so much a question of "best" vs "worst" more so than one of risk. Newer schools offer more risk of being less able to prepare students for the boards and for residency through good 3rd and 4th year training.
And then some schools are just bad at what they do, despite being relatively established.
To my mind, it's not so much a question of "best" vs "worst" more so than one of risk. Newer schools offer more risk of being less able to prepare students for the boards and for residency through good 3rd and 4th year training.
And then some schools are just bad at what they do, despite being relatively established.
Ask five people, you'll get six answers!
You guys already know what I'd say.
You guys already know what I'd say.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GEORGETOWN, NO CONTEST.
I'm disappointed in you SDN, very disappointed
I'm disappointed in you SDN, very disappointed
My vote will be for your choice of Naturopathic schools. In some states you can write prescriptions and do minor surgeries...but in other states practice is banned outright.
Princeton's is absolute rubbish.
That's the medical school affiliated with the Princeton-Plainsboro Hospital right? I heard rotations were horrible. There is this attending, Dr. Gregory House I think, who is malignant.
Ctrl+F: Liberty. Not found. I am disappointed in everyone.
The one that accepts you, but then says they over matriculated and you need to transfer to a branch campus or defer.
Everything I've read suggests LECOM-B to be a terrible school.
Prison guard like security guards, strict business formal dress wear including in anatomy lab (no scrubs!), no water in the lecture halls, mandatory lecture, unaccommodating admin.
Prison guard like security guards, strict business formal dress wear including in anatomy lab (no scrubs!), no water in the lecture halls, mandatory lecture, unaccommodating admin.
during anatomy lab?! I'd drop outEverything I've read suggests LECOM-B to be a terrible school.
Prison guard like security guards, strict business formal dress wear including in anatomy lab (no scrubs!), no water in the lecture halls, mandatory lecture, unaccommodating admin.
Why?GEORGETOWN, NO CONTEST.
I'm disappointed in you SDN, very disappointed
Because @JalbyWhy?
How so? I just started their secondary yesterday.
Did you click on the link? It's a legendary sdn thread that was started in 2001, so it should have no impact on your current Georgetown app.How so? I just started their secondary yesterday.
Ha, looking at it now.Did you click on the link? It's a legendary sdn thread that was started in 2001, so it should have no impact on your current Georgetown app.
I'm glad it's a little safer now.
Are these things people were mentioning, like obligatory thank you notes and LOIs, still necessary? Sounds ridiculous.Did you click on the link? It's a legendary sdn thread that was started in 2001, so it should have no impact on your current Georgetown app.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They might be. Have you checked last cycle's Georgetown thread?Are these things people were mentioning, like obligatory thank you notes and LOIs, still necessary? Sounds ridiculous.
I will now. Thanks for the heads up allThey might be. Have you checked last cycle's Georgetown thread?
What is your honest opinion on BCOM?Ask five people, you'll get six answers!
You guys already know what I'd say.
LUCOM tho.
LUCOM tho.
Evolution isn't real: The Medical School
define worst?
Poor USMLE/COMLEX scores, poor matches into residencies, crooked staff, etc.
Except for the ones in Puerto Rico.The Caribbean school that accepts you.
Last edited:
Not defending CNU, couldn't care less about that school, but this whole notion of for profit and not for profit schools is bs. EVERY US med school has an incentive to make money. Academic institutions are still businesses, they have people running the school who desire to make money for themselves and the institution. Just because all these schools have academic, social justice, and humanitarian focuses doesn't mean that financial and profit incentives don't impact the decisions they make. If you think otherwise, you need to open your eyes. Behind the scenes the differences between CNU and any other med school in terms of business model, finance, and profit (not education quality) is much more similar than you think. I'd like to see your analysis on the differences and definitions of CNU's for profit business model versus other medical schools.
Completely agree, "non profit" University Presidents have ridiculous bonuses and incentives tied to increased enrolment and fundraising goals etc. The average public college president earned just over $428,000 in 2014 before perks with the highest raking in about $1.5M. Assuming CNU is setup as a corporate entity, the owners probaly receive handsome 7 figure dividends, same goal as "non-profits", just more money.
They are, and it is one of the many reasons you should drop Georgetown's secondary and save yourself some moneyAre these things people were mentioning, like obligatory thank you notes and LOIs, still necessary? Sounds ridiculous.
D
deleted393595
So what is the absolute worst medical school out there at the moment?
Tufts because their tuition is insane.
We should also add Harvard, Columbia, BU, Dartmouth which have the same tuition.Tufts because their tuition is insane.
Still too new for me to know anything conclusive. They do seem to be trying though.
What is your honest opinion on BCOM?
Tulane is higher, but half the col. As are CCOM and AZCOM (DO schools).Tufts because their tuition is insane.
But if OP wants to know about crooked staff, it seems like Touro Harlem fits the bills (thread in osteo forum). Netter also had some weird administrative things. Their dean of admissions disappeared in the middle of the cycle and was taken off the website and replaced. Then apparently Netter was short some clinical rotation sites and decided to change the curriculum for students already in the program to make up for it (there was a thread on this in allo. They moved step to after 3rd yr against students' opposition).
For board scores, I dont know any one school that is particularly bad, but if you google search hard enough you can often find administrative reports that have accurate STEP 1 averages for the school.
Last edited:
What is your honest opinion on BCOM?
As a New Mexican who has been casually watching BCOM and has a few friends in the inaugural class, I must say they really are putting in a solid effort. As far as that translating into success, we will have to wait and see. Having grown up witnessing and knowing the health care disparities in this region, I really do wish them the best, as it could be a blessing for us.Still too new for me to know anything conclusive. They do seem to be trying though.
At least we don't have to worry about them being non-secular and teaching pseudoscience, like a certain school that I'm pretty sure I don't even have to name.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Everything I've read suggests LECOM-B to be a terrible school.
Prison guard like security guards, strict business formal dress wear including in anatomy lab (no scrubs!), no water in the lecture halls, mandatory lecture, unaccommodating admin.
Second LECOM-B.
They sent me an acceptance letter, I replied with a courteous decline email, and they sent me a rejection email.
Also their whole campus is covered in terrifying old pictures of clowns. Like "saw-esque" clowns
They are, and it is one of the many reasons you should drop Georgetown's secondary and save yourself some money
Just FYI NYU has mandatory thank you notes too.
I don't really get why schools do that
Now that's weird.Just FYI NYU has mandatory thank you notes too.
Last edited by a moderator:
Just FYI NYU has mandatory thank you notes too.
I don't really get why schools do that
Mayo and Gtown strongly encourage LOIs! They just want to feel loved. Who can blame them?
Now that's weird.
Yeah it was a little off putting to be perfectly honest.