what is up with orgo???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my orgo final, and i completly forgot what methyl phenyl ketone looks like. and we didn't just have to draw it. oh noo..... we had to draw the mechanism for the nitration of methyl phenyl ketone. and i had to leave it out. a 15 pt. question all cause i couldn't draw the stupid reactant. but at least the test was out of 200, so it wasn't worth tooo much, but still... grrrr.... :mad: +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

Organic chemistry is completely indicative of what kind of doctor you will be. If you can't remember a simple structure now, how can you hope to remember the hundreds of things you will have to know as a physician? PEOPLE will DIE.

Nah, just kidding. Organic is a pain. Good luck with the class!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there,

for methyl phenyl ketone: imagine a carbon double bonded to the oxygen (ie the ketone). That carbon will be able to form 2 more sigma (single) bonds with any group. One of the sigma bonds will be to a -CH3 group (the methyl group), the other will be bonded to a benzene ring (since it's a substituent group, it's a phenyl group)

don't sweat it too much...you probably have other finals all squished in at once...really not your fault...

hopefully a question like this will come out on your MCAT (if you haven't taken it already) - I'm sure you'll nail that question :)

best of luck

I remember flipping out over a nomenclature problem. They asked to draw the structure of anthracene and I drew napthalene. Only worth 5/200. But I got to my room, got into bed and realized I'd drawn the wrong thing. <shakes head>

be glad you didnt have to deal with a bunch of IUPAC crap.

i love ochem except IUPAC naming rules. To this day I still get confused about that stuff.

But luckily most of ochem doesnt deal with that crap. :cool:

Just wait till med school. A whole lot of useless info gets thrown at you in first year... Several times more and worse than orgo chem and you're just expected to regurgitate. You'll probably use about as much of it as you will what you learned in orgo chem (none), but it's like a right of passage.

You know how much orgo chem I remember as a first year medical student? Just CH3CH2OH.

Sorry for the rant, microbio test tomorrow. Bugs and Drugs is where it's at!

Do you call Organic Chemistry "orgo". We call it "O-Chem" here. Just a random nickname thing I guess.

SO aren't YOU supposed to be studying for your microb exam for tomorrow?!!!!!!
Why are u busy moving things in the forum?!!!!!! GO get your ass back to your desk and start cramming!!!

:D

Originally posted by Neuronix
Just wait till med school. A whole lot of useless info gets thrown at you in first year... Several times more and worse than orgo chem and you're just expected to regurgitate. You'll probably use about as much of it as you will what you learned in orgo chem (none), but it's like a right of passage.

You know how much orgo chem I remember as a first year medical student? Just CH3CH2OH.

Sorry for the rant, microbio test tomorrow. Bugs and Drugs is where it's at!

Originally posted by HollyJ
Organic chemistry is completely indicative of what kind of doctor you will be. If you can't remember a simple structure now, how can you hope to remember the hundreds of things you will have to know as a physician? PEOPLE will DIE.

hahah I thought you were serious til I read the last line!

Don't worry, I am :D

A man can have breaks can't he? I still found time to make myself a nice lunch of mozzerella, artichokes, sun-ripened tomatoes and bread (no wine... Damn you studying!). Some SDN and a good walk around the park (err... Square) does the soul some good.

Still, I'll prolly go somewhere soon so I stop taking quite so many breaks.

s%20aureus.jpg

Me during the exam... DIE MICROBIO EXAM DIE!

(For the curious, that's staph aureus eating a heart valve in acute endocarditis from Clinical Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple, Ed. 2)

Originally posted by jlee9531
be glad you didnt have to deal with a bunch of IUPAC crap.

i love ochem except IUPAC naming rules. To this day I still get confused about that stuff.

But luckily most of ochem doesnt deal with that crap. :cool:

WHAT! IUPAC is where the action is, i always got pissed when they used stupid common names+pissed+

Ya, I never got the "orgo" nickname, even though it seems to be commonly used. It should be "orga" if you're just shortening it... What is with the ending o? It sounds like you're trying to make organic chemistry sound hip or something. Why don't we just call microbiology "micra" or "micru"?

"Ya man, my micra exam was sooo hard."

just my $0.02

Members don't see this ad :)

A man can have breaks can't he? I still found time to make myself a nice lunch of mozzerella, artichokes, sun-ripened tomatoes and bread (no wine... Damn you studying!). Some SDN and a good walk around the park (err... Square) does the soul some good.

s%20aureus.jpg

(For the curious, that's staph aureus eating a heart valve in acute endocarditis from Clinical Microbio Made Ridiculously Simple, Ed. 2)

omg you are the biggest nerd ever :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Ranger47
Do you call Organic Chemistry "orgo". We call it "O-Chem" here. Just a random nickname thing I guess.

yep, it's orgo all the way. i don't know why. it rolls off your tongue better that way, say it. OORRGGGOO. it has a nice rolling sound. o-chem sounds so dry and sterile and cold. orgo gives a nicer impression. especially cause o-chem sounds a lot like p-chem, the most dreaded of ever chemistry/biochemistry major. so i think that might have something to do with it. orgo isn't as scary as p-chem, therefore, it cannot be as worthy of such a scary name.

ok, now i know i'm really tired. this is me, signing off. ciao.

Originally posted by HollyJ

HollyJ, what a great post!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by indo
btw...its O-chem not orgo. Otherwise you'd have to say physo for physical chem and bioo for bio chemistry. How about Genro? Analytical chem = Analo???

now that's not true. we call physical chem p-chem, bio chemistry is simply biochem, genro i have no clue what you mean there, and analytical chem is called quant in my school cause the actual name of it is quantitative chemical analysis. so what do you say for biochem? b-chem? a-chem for analytical? (or q-chem from my school?) i don't like that, sounds too much like alphabet soup.

I think that "orgo" comes from schools that used to call organic chemistry "organochemistry." I don't think that anyone calls it that anymore, but that "orgo" has stuck.

How funny, all this talk about what to call it reminds me of a few years ago when some people were getting really pissed off because posters were calling it orgo and others were calling it Ochem. A regular old fist fighting through posts erupted over something as silly as what to call it. :rolleyes:

At least here we are being more civilized:clap:

Originally posted by indo
btw...its O-chem not orgo. Otherwise you'd have to say physo for physical chem and bioo for bio chemistry. How about Genro? Analytical chem = Analo???

No, no. Analytical is "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named". God I hate that class!!

s%20aureus.jpg

I'll second that one. Man was my final ridiculous... my prof is such a jerk lol.

About the whole orgo nickname. I just like the word organic, since organic matter is what organic chem is all about. It sounds much better than orgo to me also, so I just call it "organic" or "organic chem". That is interesting that some schools actually called it organochemistry at one point. Sounds silly to me though.