What is your asset allocation for 2008?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just an interesting observation, I'm surprised by the lack of commodity exposure for most of those that have replied to this thread.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder about a commodity bubble but when I see threads like this or talk to people I realize that if there is one, it's not nearly as bad as it could be. The masses have yet to discover them.

I had two people tell me last week that real estate is always a great investment (!)
 
Yeah, sometimes I wonder about a commodity bubble but when I see threads like this or talk to people I realize that if there is one, it's not nearly as bad as it could be. The masses have yet to discover them.

I had two people tell me last week that real estate is always a great investment (!)

I think commodity prices would have to be double to triple where they are now and in today's terms to be considered bubblicious. That bubble word is going to be thrown around quite a bit over the coming years as people try predict 'the next bubble', try to come to get the grips of reality of what inflation, lack of supply and increasing demand mean for commodities, especially oil.

I'd also like to point out that thus far we've had 3 bubbles over the last decade or so: The tech bubble (you can always create more tech companies), the housing bubble (you can always build more houses) and the credit bubble (credit could always be created). I'm sure you see where I'm going with this... you can't really create new oil (or most of the hard commodities for that matter). We have a finite supply (contrary to what most people may believe and how they'd like to blame OPEC or whomever to help them come to grips with reality).


That being said I wouldn't necessarily commit new capital to commodities at these prices. They need to correct through time, or price before anyone with a longer time horizon should consider investing in them. Of course they, could run higher and I'm not going to attempt to predict a short term top, but its better to wait for a more suitable reward:risk ratio on the investment 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just an interesting observation, I'm surprised by the lack of commodity exposure for most of those that have replied to this thread.

While they typically shoot up in recession, a commodity by defn has limited intrinsic value in and of itself compared to other instruments.

I admit my Oil & Gas portfolio exposure has had a good run recently, but I'm not convinced hyped commodities like gold are looking to hit $2k any time soon or that would make for a very long recession. Last time when gold had a good run (early 80's) reaching close to where it is now (but not as high as it is currently), it fell sharply soon after when the times got good (IIRC something from ~$700 / oz down to ~$300 and stayed there up until recently). So it shot up briefly, then stayed down at the lower level for over two decades. Unless you're a short(er?) term trader, that's not what most long term investors would like to gamble on.

Now if someone is convinced that this recession will stay for several years out, then perhaps it may be a worthwhile bet. I'm just hoping it doesn't last too long. Besides how sexy is trading sugar, wheat, etc. 🙂
 
Keep in mind the difference between DCA and periodic investing. Most of us periodically invest because we periodically have money.

ActiveDutyMD said:
If I put $4K into my IRA every Jan 1 for 30 years, you might call that DCA, but it isn't.
I think of that as lump sump, honestly. Or "periodic lump sum" with period = annually. When I think of DCA, I think of contributing a set amount/percentage with each paycheck, so every two or four weeks, basically. That way regardless of the share prices, more shares are purchased at lower prices than at higher prices.

ActiveDutyMD said:
DCA is when I have $100K now and I have to decide whether to invest it all at once or invest it $10K a year for 10 years. If you don't have a lump sum to invest, you can't DCA. You simply get the same advantages by periodically investing. Obviously if you had the $2 Million you're going to make over the next 15 years, you'd be better off investing it now than in 10 years, right?
Well if I had the money upfront, I'd def. lump sum it in (or at most a couple lump sums). I dunno, I think of IRA contributions or taxable account contributions the same way that employers set up their 401(k) programs: automatic don't-even-think-about-it deductions right off each paycheck.
 
IMO we are well into a bearish year, but as of today (3/23) are in a honeymoon phase (dead cat bounce) based on the BSC bailout and the Visa IPO. This may last a month or so, but imo we will proceed back down again, but only after retail gets sucked into being bagholders again.

All of these incredible events in the financial markets did not come out of nowhere, and they are not going to be solved completely with a mere buyout and the fed extending credit. Where there is one cockroach, there are likely two, and LEH is one place I would be checking. The fact that there had to be such extreme measures taken by the fed is evidence that the problems are extremely serious. Yes, Bernanke is a student of the Depression, and maybe with the more globalized market we (the US stock market) will be insulated somewhat from the type of catastrophe we had in 1929, but I am almost certain we go down later this year.

How to play this?

Well, this is a nightmare for the long term holder, and favors traders. Now a longterm bullish market (like the type we had over the past 7 years) favors buy-n-hold, but imo this is very risky at this point. Greenspan (yes, not Helicopter Ben) said he doesn't think we get out of this until housing prices stabilize, and there is just too much bad news in the woodwork for me to think we are there. Helicopter Ben imo cannot say the truth... that we are in deep kimchee as it would be worsening the average person's confidence... and we are in a crisis of confidence. But actions speak louder than words, and he has taken some pretty desperate measures.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080323/economy_on_the_edge.html

My strategy...

1. Buy extremely beaten down companies that have some positive news coming

2. Go short, via double inverse ETFs such as SKF or FXP (when it gets into the 80's)

and

3. Sit in all cash alot of the time.

We'll see how this works...
ttac
 
2. Go short, via double inverse ETFs such as SKF or FXP (when it gets into the 80's)

better yet, borrow money via a home equity loan or heloc, put it into a margin account, and then buy 2x as many shares of a double inverse etf. also repeat the same with cash you get from selling naked s&p500 puts. that puts your leverage ratio somewhere that would make you look like a hero to the trading desks at gs/ms...
 
SKF is a ridiculous buy here at 102.25... for 10-15% in a week or so.
In at 102.25.
 
SKF is a ridiculous buy here at 102.25... for 10-15% in a week or so.
In at 102.25.

The contrarian view wins again... sold 114.25, + 12%.
No more realtime trades, though... this board is a medical board, not a financial one.

ttac
 
mgdsh,

I have been reading through this forum for a few days now and I am extremely surprised at the lock of commodities as well. With inflation as high as it is, it seems noone has much gold or a gold ETF in their portfolio. Even though gold is extremely volatile, it is the ultimate hedge against inflation and a weak economy. I will always have a large gold position for that reason.
 
The contrarian view wins again... sold 114.25, + 12%.
No more realtime trades, though... this board is a medical board, not a financial one.

ttac

#1) How much did you invest and what were your expenses (including tax on the capital gain)? (i.e. how much did you make from your brilliant decision.)

#2) Be sure to post the bad picks too lest we assume that everything you pick works out just as well.
 
#1) How much did you invest and what were your expenses (including tax on the capital gain)? (i.e. how much did you make from your brilliant decision.)

#2) Be sure to post the bad picks too lest we assume that everything you pick works out just as well.

This decision to short the financials after the big recovery was about as easy as my decision last week to go all in shorting cantaloupe futures on the honduran stock exchange... 🙄

seriously though, why don't people believe that it might just be possible to beat the market over the long term?

Once again, this board is not a financial one, so I will make one last stock prediction and put it out there...

I predict that by buying nbix at 5.53 here, you can almost certainly make a 50% return in less than a year... nbix falls into the "beaten down biotech" category and imo is incredibly undervalued here and has more potential catalysts than you could shake a stick at.... yeah, it might go down to 4, but it also might go up to 10.

I'm all in nbix.

ttac
 
I predict that by buying nbix at 5.53 here, you can almost certainly make a 50% return in less than a year... nbix falls into the "beaten down biotech" category and imo is incredibly undervalued here and has more potential catalysts than you could shake a stick at.... yeah, it might go down to 4, but it also might go up to 10.

I'm all in nbix.

ttac

Going for a double or nothing this time, eh? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
seriously though, why don't people believe that it might just be possible to beat the market over the long term?

hell i believe it's possible to beat the market over the long term, it's just that i don't think i can do it. i've killed the market in the short-term, but i ascribe it to luck, and have pretty much quit while i'm (really) ahead.
 
Going for a double or nothing this time, eh? 🙂

The rationale here is based on several things...

1. pinvestment2 (of eln fame) is well behind the stock... if you followed the eln disaster (and recovery) he was the one behind eln during its time from 7... to 3 to 25... and he isn't behind many stocks... his fundamental analysis of biotech companies he follows is unparalleled. Check out the investorvillage board/nbix

2. biotech value fund has put a floor on the stock at 5, accumulating over the past couple of months to over 12% of all the shares of nbix

3. short percentage around 25% of nbix.

4. cash per share that nbix has is around 4$/share, no debt.

5. They have announced during their last earnings call that they are in basically late stage negotiations for their gnrh antagonist program. and that they are past the economic terms.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/632...-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=4

6. NBIX is the only company with a phase 2 gnrh ORAL (not peptide) antagonist)

7. All the technical analysis reasons I won't go into here.

Now nbix could go back to 4... although I believe that is unlikely. BVF has shown it is accumulating all shares at 5....
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68817&p=irol-sec

I'm willing to take my chances here.
ttac
 
The rationale here is based on several things...

1. pinvestment2 (of eln fame) is well behind the stock... if you followed the eln disaster (and recovery) he was the one behind eln during its time from 7... to 3 to 25... and he isn't behind many stocks... his fundamental analysis of biotech companies he follows is unparalleled. Check out the investorvillage board/nbix

2. biotech value fund has put a floor on the stock at 5, accumulating over the past couple of months to over 12% of all the shares of nbix

3. short percentage around 25% of nbix.

4. cash per share that nbix has is around 4$/share, no debt.

5. They have announced during their last earnings call that they are in basically late stage negotiations for their gnrh antagonist program. and that they are past the economic terms.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/632...-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo&page=4

6. NBIX is the only company with a phase 2 gnrh ORAL (not peptide) antagonist)

7. All the technical analysis reasons I won't go into here.

Now nbix could go back to 4... although I believe that is unlikely. BVF has shown it is accumulating all shares at 5....
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68817&p=irol-sec

I'm willing to take my chances here.
ttac

Cheers & Good luck. I personally don't touch stocks under $10 a share.

Its interesting the stock has had 5 large gap downs in the last 2 years alone. While I like what the stock is doing technically right now, I'd bet that a lot of people are looking to sell at the $9-10 level and get out at even.

I have made $$ shorting NBIX on the first of those huge gap downs. It gapped down from ~70 to the low 30s (premarket) and closed in the low 20s that day. Talk about carnage.
 
IMO the markets are getting toppy again... We will hopefully have a little blowoff top rally, then I will go back to shorting everything. I still subscribe to the theory that we have a bogus market rally, suckering longs in, then the real bad news comes out and we tank.

Looking at FXP to hit 70 or so, then I go back in.
Sold my NBIX on this mini rally at 5.55, +2%.
I think if news doesn't come out in a few days, this goes back to the low 5.10's... If I miss the partnership news, then congratulations to the longs.

I made two mistakes trying to trade nbix... got in too early (wasn't patient and bought a stock already going up, and did not sell after a 8% profit)... as a result I only made 2%. (I actually bought at 5.45)

SKF is back to low 100's again... my sell at 114 was fairly timely, and once again based on contrarian trading...

Check out this free online book: How Markets Really Work
Unfortunately, it is only free until monday.

Basically confirms my view that the contrarian view is superior to following the herd, based on backtested data.

**********************************************************

Thank you!

You have signed up to receive a PDF copy of "How Markets Really Work" by Larry Connors and Conor Sen.

Go to http://images.tradingmarkets.com/HMRW/HMRW.pdf to download your FREE PDF copy.

If you have questions about this message, or the PDF, please contact us at [email protected].

We hope you enjoy the free PDF Download of "How Markets Really Work".

Regards,

Your TradingMarkets Team
http://www.TradingMarkets.com/
 
only kidding about above reply. right now i keep my "held" money in a target date fund. I also have a retirement account in which i have:
1. 45% Fidelity contrafund
2. 5% DFA Emerging markets
3. 15% fidelity spartan total international index
4. 10% fidelity small cap stock
5. 5% fidelity leveraged stock
8. 10% fidelity midcap value

i am thinking about maybe picking up some REIT since they have probably (hopefully?) hit the bottom. what do u guys think?
 
With the caveat that opinions are as common as anal sphincters, let me say that I have a very long term bearish slant, and take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I believe we have entered a temporary honeymoon phase where the retail investing public is being tricked into thinking everything is all better now. IMO they are being set up for the fall... The housing market has not nearly bottomed. Check out this article

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601206&sid=aefAJU_88vfs&refer=realestate

alludes to the foreclosure rate being kept artificially low while people are allowed to stay in their houses, who should have to foreclose.

IMO this recent runup in stocks was a bear market rally

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/StocksWildRideIsntOver.aspx

and we are almost ready to head back down. The shorts were forced to cover, causing a minisqueeze as bad news became interpreted as good.

Here's a good explanation of the monoline insurers and how important their AAA credit ratings are (from early february).

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/SuperModels/TheBigThreatOfMuniDebt.aspx

well, guess what... Fitch just downgraded MBI's ratings from AAA to AA yesterday.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080404/bonds_insurers_mbia_fitch.html?.v=1

From a trading perspective, hopefully we get a little more squeeze/bounce in the markets so bears can short higher. Hopefully we'll get there midweek.

good luck,
ttac
 
IMO we are going down over the long term this year, so I'm short china (which is a proxy for short the markets) via going all in on fxp at 80...

looking for 100 in 2 weeks time or so.

ttac
 
IMO we are going down over the long term this year, so I'm short china (which is a proxy for short the markets) via going all in on fxp at 80...

looking for 100 in 2 weeks time or so.

ttac

Nice. The chances of that playing out are increasing everyday. We seem to just drift lower and we've now penetrated and closed below a pretty important 1360 level on the S&P. I started picking up some small positions in the ultrashorts again and will add to em as the weakness picks up.
 
With the caveat that the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, here is my take on the markets

-first, retail is being set up for the fall. That little bounce over the past few weeks was designed to sucker in retail traders who will be panicking over the next few weeks, imo...

The economy was crashing, and the fed stepped in to "save" it. All they accomplished imo was to postpone the pain. How? By saying they would lend out all this money. How are they going to do that? Well, it sure is easy when they can just call over to the fed printing press and print off a few hundred billion more here and there.

Why do I believe this? Look at the weakness in the dollar... Hmmm... could that be... inflation? Why is everything getting so expensive? inflation?

We have a credit crisis. Oil is 112$, an all time high (inflation, anyone?). Housing prices are imploding. Lenders are afraid to lend because they are afraid people will not be able to pay them back. And they are afraid on a run on the banks. This is ingredient #1 for a recession. No lending = no growth = economic contraction.

And yet, retail traders have been brainwashed into thinking this last bounce over the past 2 weeks was the bottom. Ridiculous, imo.

So over the next year, retail longs are going to get doubly slammed, imo. Their shares will become worth less, and the dollar will become worthless, through inflation.

IMO we are in the early stages of a massive fall in the stock market. I still stand by my prediction made a week ago that sentiment is changing slowly, but surely to the negative, and we will start entering a phase of multiple 200-300 point daily declines, as retail starts to panic and shorts pile on.

-now the caveat is that there may be little rallies designed to trick shorts into going long, but I'm willing to endure a little pain before being eventually proven right. If this scenario plays out as I expect, FXP should be well into the 100's in a month or two.

ttac
 
With the caveat that the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent, here is my take on the markets

-first, retail is being set up for the fall. That little bounce over the past few weeks was designed to sucker in retail traders who will be panicking over the next few weeks, imo...

The economy was crashing, and the fed stepped in to "save" it. All they accomplished imo was to postpone the pain. How? By saying they would lend out all this money. How are they going to do that? Well, it sure is easy when they can just call over to the fed printing press and print off a few hundred billion more here and there.

Why do I believe this? Look at the weakness in the dollar... Hmmm... could that be... inflation? Why is everything getting so expensive? inflation?

We have a credit crisis. Oil is 112$, an all time high (inflation, anyone?). Housing prices are imploding. Lenders are afraid to lend because they are afraid people will not be able to pay them back. And they are afraid on a run on the banks. This is ingredient #1 for a recession. No lending = no growth = economic contraction.

And yet, retail traders have been brainwashed into thinking this last bounce over the past 2 weeks was the bottom. Ridiculous, imo.

So over the next year, retail longs are going to get doubly slammed, imo. Their shares will become worth less, and the dollar will become worthless, through inflation.

IMO we are in the early stages of a massive fall in the stock market. I still stand by my prediction made a week ago that sentiment is changing slowly, but surely to the negative, and we will start entering a phase of multiple 200-300 point daily declines, as retail starts to panic and shorts pile on.

-now the caveat is that there may be little rallies designed to trick shorts into going long, but I'm willing to endure a little pain before being eventually proven right. If this scenario plays out as I expect, FXP should be well into the 100's in a month or two.

ttac

I agree that we most likely will head lower over the intermediate to longer term, but I'm still neutral to cautiously bullish on the short term.

At the end of the day, the crooks that run the mutual funds on Wall St. still :
1) get paid based on their returns
2) need to put money to work in order to get those returns
3) Most are limited to buying things and can't really sell short
4) aren't managing their own money
5) and thus are more greedy than fearful

All that money made over the last few years has to be put to work somewhere:
- Oil's about the best safe haven I can think of (US Treasuries are garbage).
- Gold/Silver/etc can have some pretty erratic and choppy movements here while it sets up its next move higher.
- Interest rates can't really go all that much lower (and thus Bonds aren't really all that attractive).
- Select emerging markets (like Brazil - EWZ, Latin America - ILF, possibly Mexico - EWW) appear to be in good shape, but they are all more of a play on the XLE (esp Oil & Nat gas related names, Solars), XLI, XLB (esp Ag - POT/MOS/MON/CF/DBA, Steel & Iron - SLX/X/MTL/SCHN/NUE/AKS/CLF, Coal - KOL/ACI/BTU/FDG/WLT/JRCC/PCX/MEE ... Copper may be next - PCU/FCX) theme

And as you hinted at above quite a few times, most of whats working is a play on inflation in some form or another.


On a related note: I ended up starting a blog not too long ago. If you don't like technicals, you probably won't understand what the hell I'm talking about or what the lines on my charts mean, but you're welcome to stop by. I do post interesting links on occasion 🙂

http://tradermd.wordpress.com
 
mgdsh,

I am very impressed with your blog. I will be a frequent visitor. I am a novice at tech analysis, but I know enough to learn from your posts. Thanks for the great information!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mgdsh,

I am very impressed with your blog. I will be a frequent visitor. I am a novice at tech analysis, but I know enough to learn from your posts. Thanks for the great information!

Thanks 🙂 Glad you stopped by.
 
At the end of the day, the crooks that run the mutual funds on Wall St. still :
1) get paid based on their returns

How quaint of you to think this is how it works. Mutual fund managers are paid as a percentage of assets under management. While good returns are sometimes related to assets under management, frequently they are not. Witness Fidelity Magellan. The good returns were decades ago, yet the managers are making a killing on this bloated fund.
 
How quaint of you to think this is how it works. Mutual fund managers are paid as a percentage of assets under management. While good returns are sometimes related to assets under management, frequently they are not. Witness Fidelity Magellan. The good returns were decades ago, yet the managers are making a killing on this bloated fund.


Yea, there obviously will be exceptions. But your noted exception is just as bad. No matter how the fund does, i.e. even if it loses $$, they still take home a % of the money they manage, thus the fund loses even more $$.
 
What are peoples thougths on the following:
Funds for China and/or India?
and Emerging Markets funds?

My 401k at work is a TRP 2040 target fund, and maxed the match (6%)

2007 Roth IRA with ~95% into FIGRX (international) ~5% Corning (just for fun)

2008 Roth is $5k and sitting, need to put it somewhere stat (got busy at work and forgot)

(I +/- think US Econ is going to be down for a while (gas, housing, dollar, credit/debt, new election). I have absolutely minimal experience with the market, but I've started reading two books and hopefully will be more educated.)
 
Yea, there obviously will be exceptions. But your noted exception is just as bad. No matter how the fund does, i.e. even if it loses $$, they still take home a % of the money they manage, thus the fund loses even more $$.

My noted "exception" is just as bad, I agree. That's why I mentioned it as an example, not an exception. Am I missing something here?
 
(I +/- think US Econ is going to be down for a while (gas, housing, dollar, credit/debt, new election). I have absolutely minimal experience with the market, but I've started reading two books and hopefully will be more educated.)

The market has likely already priced in all of those things. Do you really think you can pick stocks/time the market between intubations better than the institutions that have hundreds of analysts out there scouring the market for bargains?

I think you'd benefit from spending some time here: bogleheads.org

5% of 4K= $200 in corning. Assuming your commission in buying it was $10 to buy and another $10 to sell, and the bid:ask difference was 2% on each transaction, your investment will have to go up 14% + taxes just to break even. Small leaks sink a great ship.

Roll your Roths over to Vanguard, and invest them in a target retirement 2040 fund until you finish reading the books. I hope you've picked up at least one of the following:

The Coffeehouse Investor
Investing for Dummies
The Bogleheads Guide to Investing
The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need
The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need
Straight Talk On Investing

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19085&mrr=1213217459