What is your pay structure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
14 days in a row, then 7 off? thats tough
5 days on then weekend off then 7 on then 9 off.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2 weeks on 1 week off, q2 beeper call (extremely light) when on. 450k straight 1099 zero benefits. Malpractice and health insurance eat up 55k of that pre tax. I pick up 3-4 days of locums on my off weeks per month for an additional ~10k per month. Thoughts?
All depends on how many hours you're actually working, and the nature of those hours.

$450K for 40-hour weeks of solo work with 18 weeks vacation and exceptionally light call? Sounds great.

$450K for 65-hour weeks supervising 4:1 during the day and solo work at night, with frequent call-ins for your q2 call? Sounds miserable despite the 18 weeks off.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All depends on how many hours you're actually working, and the nature of those hours.

$450K for 40-hour weeks of solo work with 18 weeks vacation and exceptionally light call? Sounds great.

$450K for 65-hour weeks supervising 4:1 during the day and solo work at night, with frequent call-ins for your q2 call? Sounds miserable despite the 18 weeks off.
+/- 45 hours a week 1:2 supervision and some solo cases. Call backs are usually <5 a month. I find myself bored on the off weeks and searching for more locums work especially during the school year when I can’t do family stuff.

I don’t hate it and would love to keep this job until I retire. Just wish they would switch to w2 and provide benefits but that will likely never happen.

Reactions: 1 user
+/- 45 hours a week 1:2 supervision and some solo cases. Call backs are usually <5 a month. I find myself bored on the off weeks and searching for more locums work especially during the school year when I can’t do family stuff.

I don’t hate it and would love to keep this job until I retire. Just wish they would switch to w2 and provide benefits but that will likely never happen.
Sounds all right to me.

36 weeks X 45 hrs = 1620 hrs
= $278/hr

Yeah you could do better (right now) as a traveling locums, but ... you gotta travel for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds all right to me.

= $278/hr

Yeah you could do better (right now) as a traveling locums, but ... you gotta travel for that.
It’s actually worse than $278/hr since they gotta pay their own malpractice. Occurrence malpractice runs 20-25k usually.
Locums usually don’t have to pay ur own malpractice.

Sounds all right to me.

= $278/hr

Hourly rate is fine. But what about all that uncompensated, ‘just waiting for pager to go off’ time? Even with rare callback, that’s a real stressor that sucks.

Again, I totally agree there are better paid jobs out there. Such jobs would require moving, or traveling. There are real stressors associated with both of those things.

Also, his pager call isn't "uncompensated" ... he's being compensated $450K for a job that includes that pager call.

I'm just saying that $450K for a job (even 1099 where $55K gets chopped off for health and liability insurance) where you sleep in your own bed every night, never supervise more than 2:1, do some solo work, and have 18 weeks vacations ... is not horrendous.

Again, I totally agree there are better paid jobs out there. Such jobs would require moving, or traveling. There are real stressors associated with both of those things.

Also, his pager call isn't "uncompensated" ... he's being compensated $450K for a job that includes that pager call.

I'm just saying that $450K for a job (even 1099 where $55K gets chopped off for health and liability insurance) where you sleep in your own bed every night, never supervise more than 2:1, do some solo work, and have 18 weeks vacations ... is not horrendous.
Call backs <5 times a month on a 2 week on. 1 week off. Means around a 20-25% call back rate. That’s bad.

My friend in North Carolina has similar job. (900k total for 52 weeks) They are usually done by 4-5pm. Their call back rate is 1-2x a month. Total out of 30 days.

At the end of the day. If Op is happy with job/location. That’s all that matters.

Traveling for locums is not a lifestyle for everyone especially those with families. Even older locums with kids in college or adult. They tend to stay at one locums pace long term. Take 3-4 month assignments at one place. And some renew for up to 2 years. We all know places that use locums docs for years.

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

+/- 45 hours a week 1:2 supervision and some solo cases. Call backs are usually

I hope call back hours are included in your 45hrs.
I did it once for my current practice. We have late call days, that can run until 6-10pm. But we get pre and post early out. So it’s awash.
I did a three months average…. It was indeed 45-48 hours a week.
We have a base salary of 250k/year.
Then whatever the receivable divide all partners.

It’s fair enough in the sense that, all the calls are divided equally. You can have ****ty call shared amongst everyone.