1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What is your perception of the job market today and future?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by sozetone, Oct 21, 2018.

1. VictorOfHungerGames

VictorOfHungerGames May the odds be ever in your favor

Pharmacist
    What is your exit strategy? Are you talking about as a pharmacist or if being a pharmacist doesn't work out, you got something else already lined up? I was thinking just opening my own pharmacy soon or go into industry or research for more job stability reasons. What else could you do with a pharmd?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sozetone

Pharmacist
    no, I'm leaving the field entirely. It's all jacked up....Anything "retail" "corporate" or "pharmacy" should not be in anybodys job title anymore. Let the millenials sort it out.

4. VictorOfHungerGames

Pharmacist
    I see. So what are you going to do? I thought about med school or maybe PA. PA doesn't make as much and med school is too long haha.

5. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Saisri_PharmStdnt Class of 2023

Pharmacy Student
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

For Reference:

Generation Years.png

( <== Gen-X :) )

6. VictorOfHungerGames

Pharmacist
    I'm not entirely sure what your point is but... will take a wild guess that you want people to do something about what is happening... haha any specific ideas?

7. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pharmacy Student
    That portion was related to:

If people give up on things (Current practices, policies, politics even, current trends etc), then you there's only so much complaining you can do because you didn't try to change it.

Even where I am, not everything is perfect. But I try to work on the things that aren't perfect to make them better. I don't give up on things because I'm in the middle of 2 generations who have completely different approaches. And this isn't me calling out sozetone at all. It's a common attitude held by many in life, in the workplace, everywhere.

Personally, I try not to give up things or people easily. It's just my personality. But part of that comes from life experience. I'm a mom, wife, student, corporate trainer, adjunct faculty, etc.. So as a future pharmacist, I would expect I would still approach people and situations as I do today, just with a lot more training :)

To specifically answer your question - No, I don't have specifics on how I can personally change an industry.. But I do plan on working to change a department, a network, and perhaps eventually a company.. Baby steps :)

8. VictorOfHungerGames

Pharmacist
    Yes, we need more idealists like you. At least so that we can keep the hope alive haha. I want to believe that I am in a somewhat of influential position right now but still feel like there really isn't much I can do to stop this ship from sinking.

I have ideas that I have presented to my school, my state board, hell to even my colleagues and direct bosses but nope, only answer I got was... it's not realistic. lol

But then I guess it's like everything else in our society, just follow the money. Can't beat'em, join'em. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

9. BC_89

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I always try to compare my opportunity with risk. Getting steady pension while in school plus housing cost (tax free) in a 3 yr accelerated program means debt free.

Well, with a working spouse and degree in hand, even working part time would at worse mean I make as much as I do now ... Also a chance to maintain my hobby investments and hope to gain additional steady income from them.

If all jobs were wiped out I still have enough passive income to cover living expenses...I know I’ll be alright but truth be told, I’m tempted to just simply do a welding side gig and remain content to enjoy things outside of work...In the end, the entitlements I’ve earned for higher education can’t go to my kids or wife so I’ll put it in the scope of work I’ve been doing 60-80 hours a week as a military tech...

I guess what I mean is, I’ll try to make changes for the betterment of my field, but just as much I can see myself not putting up with non-ethical metrics for 30 years knowing I have the opportunity to walk away whenever I want..a blessed and cursed mindset I have right now..

Saisri_PharmStdnt likes this.
  10. sozetone

Pharmacist
    My wifes parents have a restaurant in Europe, They have had it 30 years and it does amazing. They are done though and offered it to us.....its currently being leased on a 6 month contingency type deal....(means either party can give 6 months and back out.) They want us to own and take over the operation. They want us OUT of corporate america..They understand how difficult it is to function and have positive quality of life over here. We are on board, but need to wrap up loose ends here in America. Gonna be a year or so and we will take off.

11. sozetone

Pharmacist
    upload_2018-11-8_21-38-40.png

Saisri_PharmStdnt likes this.
  12. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pharmacy Student
    I mean this quite sincerely - Good luck to you guys! I hope it is as successful for you as it was for your in-laws!

13. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    One thing you could do, working for a PBM, is end PBMs. They are worthless middlemen who’s only purpose is to funnel money out of pharmacies and patients for their own profit while providing no real tangible goods or services.

VictorOfHungerGames likes this.
  14. TerryTerry

You always make it sound like all these current and future pharmacist issues do not apply to you.
    When you become a pharmacist I hope it stays that way for you. You sound like real hard working one of a kind lady. No sarcasm.

sozetone likes this.
  15. sozetone

Pharmacist
    This thread is a trip, filled with fun snarky remarks....look guys at the end of the day, we are all in trouble if we are involved with pharmacy. good point. The prediction is 2023 will be the year when "big changes" will occur. LOL.... its not far off....and if we all go down like the titanic, I will remember the ones who did not think it could happen to them. The others, you are ALL welcome on my lifeboat,........... i just bought one from AMAZON.....lol

16. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    I honestly thought I was a millennial, I think Generation Z sounds better than Postmillennial, though.

17. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pharmacy Student
    It is not that they don't apply to me per se, but I'm in a specialized area of the company. Because I currently work for the company and will throughout school, it would be an internal transfer position for me.

18. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pharmacy Student
    That's because people in the generation before mine refer to anyone after GenX as a millennial and group all "young" people together. Time for GenZ to make their own name for themselves :)

19. GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Don’t blame yah. When the ship is sinking, you gotta figure out if it’s worth plugging up the holes or if it’s time to get on a lifeboat.

sozetone likes this.
  20. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    120k is the current average salary but what makes you think it will stay that way 4 years from now? As you said, there is saturation and despite the pharmacist surplus, schools continue to graduate new PharmDs in record high numbers . Don't you think salary will drop drastically in the next following years because of this? I mean all recent reports of hours, raises, bonuses, and benefits being cut in the past year indicate a downward trend. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if within the next decade, it ends up dropping to $50/hr and 32 hrs/wk. I hope you know something I don't know that proves me wrong

21. VictorOfHungerGames

Pharmacist
    What company and what area are you working in? It wouldn't matter where you are, this wave will affect pretty much everyone in the pharmacy field. Even in academia.

22. DOOM N GLOOM

Being in call center operations is not considered a “specialized area” of the company but those pharmacists are generalists. The sheer fact that someone with no PBM experience can land one of those roles in your department is already an indication to me that it is unspecialized work that any PharmD can do, similar to a retail pharmacist position. Matter of fact I bet there are hundreds of pharmacists in your PBM doing call center/mail order stuff. If that’s your idea of “job security after graduation” then you’ll find out the hard truth quickly when your company passes you over in favor of bringing in retail pharmacists who are more desperate and would take a lower pay just to escape their jobs.

23. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Pharmacy Student
    Doom n Gloom, you don't fail to disappoint, but I'm not going to post my resume here explaining why I am or am not qualified for something.

To be clear, the PBM I work for is huge. Locations all over the country, mail order services, specialty pharmacies, retail pharmacies, etc...
    The department I am in is quite small and dedicated to a specific client in the company, where as yes, there are similar jobs in the company for all the other clients combined where there probably are hundreds. Excluding management rolls, we only have 14 pharmacists in my department, and maybe 50 pharmacists in the building.

That said, I'm not banking on just my degree to have a job. I already have a job here, and they are allowing me to work part-time while in school. When I finish my degree and can return to work full-time, I'll be hitting 20 years with the company regardless of the roll I am in.

24. DOOM N GLOOM

I’m not discounting your pathway, especially if you’ve worked out a mechanism to stay continuously employed with your company, which I’m assuming is either Caremark or Centene until you secure a pharmacist job after graduation (Well as a disclaimer, transitioning as a tech to pharmacist in a PBM is a very different matter compared to transferring as a tech to a pharmacist in a retail setting). If that’s what you REALLY want, then who am I to judge you for that?

But who knows? Since you’re interested in managed care you’re likely to get involved with your school of pharmacy’s industry or managed care organizations, in which case you will find that the grass is much greener in other parts of PBMs than the one you currently work in and would like to work in one of those departments— but they won’t hire you unless you’ve done a residency or fellowship.

What then? You can’t unsee what you’ve seen at that point, and would most definitely need to uproot yourself if you ended up pursuing a residency/fellowship which means having to give up your role with the company.

Obviously speculating here but that is my prediction on what you will be thinking through as you go through pharmacy school.