What is your perception of the job market today and future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo... one thing I have noticed is that pharmacists as a community don't seem to be as well organized as other professions. If I can be honest you should be directing all this disgruntlement towards politicians.

Right now there are states that are allowing medicinal cannabis dispensaries to open that are not legally mandated to have a staff pharmacist on duty to sell the product. Pharmacists should be raising holy hell in Illinois and threatening to flip entire districts over this outrage. And I am dead serious about outrage.. There is a plethora of research that well documents the cognitive impact of regular cannabis use in addition to its immunosuppressive qualities. There is a very real need to have pharmacists on staff that can explain that THC and medicinal marijuana is not a silver bullet to be used broadly for every single issue and the potential risks.

You are in Colorado - literally the tip of the spear for legislations in other states. States have a long track record of more or less copying and pasting laws from early adopting states for almost everything. You should be writing articles about pharmacy issues involving cannabis and submitting them to papers in states considering legalization.

This is where you should be directing this energy not SDN.

Shouldnt you be studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I jumped ship many years ago and am now a physician, best decision I ever made. RIP pharmacy. I like coming back to pharmacy forums from time to time as it reinforces my life choices I've made. Any pre-pharm students reading this, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY, do not pass go, do not collect $200, choose ANY other healthcare career! The golden days of pharmacy as an RPh with a 4 year bachelors are over.

It was too late for me, i started this journey in 2003 graduated 2012, so it was glory days when i started. The downward spiral is starting around 2018 and RAPIDLY moving now. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from under me. But as always, im a survivor and have other options with better quality of life....i'm planning my exit strategy and almost ready to bail.

I was really good in Chemistry in both HS and college. Henceforth, I heavily considered Pharmacy in 2012. Thanks to sdn and the pharma forum, I decided to become a Physician instead. I can't be any happier looking back at this decision considering the baseline salary of the lowest subspecialty in medicine.

I'm just going to put this out there. But, if I don't have the money, time, and guts to become a physician, I would choose PA/NP school over Pharmacy school 10/10.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The CRNAs that I had worked with make about 300K a year.

Think about that, and compare that number to whatever the number that some of the desperate Pharm people here are hoping for.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't there a law or some Act stating that you can't pay people different wages for the exact same responsibilities? Wouldn't that make all this illegal?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't there a law or some Act stating that you can't pay people different wages for the exact same responsibilities? Wouldn't that make all this illegal?

To my knowledge, that is not true. They can pay you whatever you agree to when you apply for the job and sign the contract.

If this were true then retail chains would be licking their chops because they can pay pharmacists with 20+ years of experience the same wages as fresh new grads with $200k+ in debt. Imagine working for 25 years only to have your salary “market-adjusted” every year and end up being $35/hr. Ouch.

If this were true then retail chains would be licking their chops because they can pay pharmacists with 20+ years of experience the same wages as fresh new grads with $200k+ in debt. Imagine working for 25 years only to have your salary “market-adjusted” every year and end up being $35/hr. Ouch.

well the law also states you can't lower the wage of one of the people to match the other lol