what i've heard about carribean schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it bother u that if u are a carribean grad. u will most likely end up in primary care...my friend graduated from Ross and he's going to start his IM residency in chicago somewhere...i've heard that primary care doc. is considered the low man on the totem pole and well i won't get into the details..how hard is it for carribean grads. to get fellowships realistically speaking. Most ppl say it is possible, but getting a radiology residency is also possible for carribean grad. but i wouldn't bet on it

Members don't see this ad.

Just be glad you get a chance to be a doctor. Then, you can worry about that totem pole.

EH

dWiz said:
does it bother u that if u are a carribean grad. u will most likely end up in primary care...my friend graduated from Ross and he's going to start his IM residency in chicago somewhere...i've heard that primary care doc. is considered the low man on the totem pole and well i won't get into the details..how hard is it for carribean grads. to get fellowships realistically speaking. Most ppl say it is possible, but getting a radiology residency is also possible for carribean grad. but i wouldn't bet on it

This topic was covered last fall, check out the threads...

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who is proudly going to be graduating from Saba in a couple of months, and having just matched into ophthamology at my number 1 choice, I honestly believe that the Caribbean aspect doesn't hurt you as much as you think... Every single interviewer of course brought it up, as I was the only Caribbean grad at every ophtho interview, but it can be a positive spin if you prove that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and that you took advantage of every opportunity you were presented with... Anything is possible... Good luck.

As a foregin grad, you won't be limited to primary care. It will be more difficult to go into some of the more popular, demanding specialties, but there are a good number that do not choose primary care. My experience has been that many foreign grads that do choose primary care, do so because it requires the least amount of years in residency, they just want to become doctors and start making money, or they do not have enough exposure to medicine to know of anything else.

I'm not going into primary care. I am 99.99% certain that I will match in Anesthesiology this year as a soon-to-be Ross grad. I've had plenty of interviews side-by-side with U.S. students from a wide variety of allopathic and osteopathic schools. I've heard not a single negative comment, not from any fellow interviewee or from anyone I've interviewed with at any of the >10 programs I've interviewed at, nor do I believe the supposed "stigma" exists except in the recesses of the few small and incredibly insecure minds that populate these forums and/or the incredibly snobby, elitist programs that I'm really not, nor have I ever been, interested in training at.

Having said all of that, who's knocking primary care? First off, IM has the most sub-specialties offered, and many Ross (and other Caribbean) grads go on to fellowships. Still, who's knocking the primary care doc, the pediatrician, and the OB/Gyn anyway? Each provides a critical piece to the healthcare puzzle. And, I'll tell you what else, a FP doc will never - NEVER - be out of a job anywhere he/she wants to practice in the entire U.S.

So, worry less about stigma and what other people think, and more about getting into a good program, crushing your boards, and becoming the best physician you can. If you're going into medicine simply to satisfy your own ego needs, trust me - you've chosen the wrong profession.

-Skip

dWiz said:

Whats wrong with primary care? There are people that choose this because they want to you know! I plan on becoming a FP, and I chose that because I wanted too. I will probably choose FP no matter what school I go to, it can be ivy league or carribean, or whatever and I will most likely still choose FP.