What kind of research did you do as an undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both kind and regarding depth of research.

What is considered competitive for an MD/PhD applicant? I did not have an opportunity to run my own project or to publish a paper. How indepth and elite does your research experience need to be if you want to be considered for an MD/PhD program? I know I love research, but I don't have any papers to prove it. Would a shining letter of recc from a PI suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

NMR theory one summer. Not suitable for an undergrad but made sense at the time.

Inorganic chemistry/materials for 2 years including 2 summers. Ended up with some papers but I think not yet by the time I applied.

The kind of research you do does not matter. Just make sure you have a couple years of research under your belt and have stayed in one lab for an extended time period. Publications are good but not required. Let's face it - undergrads can only publish if the following criteria are met: (1) they work hard, and (2) generous mentor. Increase the importance of #1 and #2 with more primary authorship, but the relative contributions of #1 and #2 are hard to judge by anyone outside your lab. As a result, publications will help your app but are not required even for the top schools.

Programs will judge you from your PI's letter of rec and from how you describe your research in your AMCAS research essay. Then, they will ask you questions on the interview.

Last edited:
tortuga is right on. Generally, I think of it as a time served issue. Spend a few years in a lab or two and work as hard as you can given your other time constraints. Try to understand in depth what is going on, no matter what your exact role.