What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you're talking about the slim, I wouldn't want that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but if you're talking about the slim, I wouldn't want that.

I have taken some class with medical students and I think that tablet is the way to go. We get slide print outs for the lectures but if you want to write something often there is no space. The good things about Tablets is that Powerpoint has this neat feature where you can write on your slides.

Plus, having a tablet will save the pain of carrying the binders with lectures.

The only disadvantage of tablet is you have to make sure you back up your data... you do not want you hdd crash and then you loose 2 years worth of notes.

Hi all
quick question, what do you think about the Dell XPS (the slim one)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like Dell at all. Or Gateway. Just a personal thing, but almost everyone I know who has/had one has had problems with it. Constant problems. And I haven't seen one last more than 2 years without needing a trash can.

Perhaps I just know people who have bad luck with those two brands.

I wish vaio's had tablets! I really like the HP tablets 1000x series tablets though .. what do you guys think about that one?

I wish vaio's had tablets! I really like the HP tablets 1000x series tablets though .. what do you guys think about that one?

I was thinking about purchasing that one myself. However, I would consider the next generation, the tx2000z. It has a passive and active display, meaning you can use both your finger and the included rechargable stylus that comes with it. Also, I heard the display works much better with the stylus for writing than the tx1000. On the tx1000, the display is passive, meaning you can't use your finger, only your nail or the stylus. I think the 2000 is also sensitive to pressure.

The main complaint i've heard about the HPs is that the screen isn't very sensitive - you have to press pretty hard to write. the Lenovo is much more sensitive (so folks who have HPs and have tried my Lenovo have reported with a very sad look upon their faces).

The main complaint i've heard about the HPs is that the screen isn't very sensitive - you have to press pretty hard to write. the Lenovo is much more sensitive (so folks who have HPs and have tried my Lenovo have reported with a very sad look upon their faces).

So Shy, you're loving the Lenovo? What variant do you have and what are the specs if you don't mind me asking? I've outlined a few of my needs with regard to the Lenovo line and would like to know what model you went with and why. Also, although somewhat of a functional novelty, do they all come with the print scanner? I built one or two upper-end models (ThinkPad X61) and it didn't have that security feature anywhere as a selection... just curious.

BTW - I can't stand Dell support (since outsourcing started years ago) and have never heard very many good things about Gateway. However, the DCOM student's Gateways were pretty sharp and functional IMO. Let me know about your Lenovo when you have a second. :D

So Shy, you're loving the Lenovo? What variant do you have and what are the specs if you don't mind me asking? I've outlined a few of my needs with regard to the Lenovo line and would like to know what model you went with and why. Also, although somewhat of a functional novelty, do they all come with the print scanner? I built one or two upper-end models (ThinkPad X61) and it didn't have that security feature anywhere as a selection... just curious.

BTW - I can't stand Dell support (since outsourcing started years ago) and have never heard very many good things about Gateway. However, the DCOM student's Gateways were pretty sharp and functional IMO. Let me know about your Lenovo when you have a second. :D

your best bet is to go to http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ and read though all the complaints and praises to yourself...you will clearly see that the x61s blows all the tablets out of the water

btw, the x61 does have a fingerprint scanner and it is an option...so the security is there...the FP reader is also more advanced than standard readers since it also detects the static electrical charge in your finger..so you can't just cut off someone's fingers and swipe it though ;)

the x61x is a more lighter version...due to a diff lcd panel...and it has a low voltage CPU so battery life is longer...you can get up to 7-8 hours of use with a 9 cell battery.

Unfortunately, Syncope, it's not up to you. I know Dr. Cross wanted the Lenovo, but was vetoed due to cost. The lightness of the Lenovo and the reliability (I've personally dumped an entire glass of hot tea on mine and it still works 6 months later) are worth it in my opinion, but apparently the admin at LMU disagree. It's hard to argue with students who are getting the computer as part of their tuition - they don't have too much of a say in what they get.

And BTW, I bought my Lenovo two years ago and I'm still using the original pen. No problems. NO problems. :)

This issue was fixed in the latest version (2000) I believe. Plus, the HP goes for about 2/3 the cost of the IBM. It also comes with outstanding upgrades that you won't get in the IBM without paying lots more money like:

>2 GB ram
>160 GB HD
DVD burner
Web camera, card slot media remote, fingerprint, and microphone
>2.0 GHz Dual core processor
Dedicated graphics card with additional shared memory
Bluetooth and wireless

My money is on the HP. For the price, you can't beat it.

This issue was fixed in the latest version (2000) I believe. Plus, the HP goes for about 2/3 the cost of the IBM. It also comes with outstanding upgrades that you won't get in the IBM without paying lots more money like:

>2 GB ram
>160 GB HD
DVD burner
Bluetooth and wireless

Sorry, what issue was fixed exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)

>2 GB ram
>160 GB HD
DVD burner
Bluetooth and wireless

guess again..you can get a fully loaded x61t for under $1000

Where? I'm looking on the lenovo website:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=329576204C9E42289967E79E0E7C9A2D

The basic model is over $1500. Is there another site that's cheaper?

As for the 2000z, basic model starts at $1000:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...v1=Travel/mobility&series_name=tx2000z_series

go to www.lenovo.com/cpp
enter in 556655 as the code...find the tablet for $1300
there was a coupon code named USEFEBSAVET (saved you 20%) that expired just a little bit ago, but they came out with new ones all the time ranging from 15-30% off

Just to fuel the fire :smuggrin:

http://www.gateway.com/systems/series/529597319.php

Honestly, I don't know what's best. I'm very happy with the Gateway, but it is heavy, but the battery life is awesome. I would love to try other tablet models to compare them all to see what differences they all have. Thats probably the best solution to the debate b/c anything that works well is going to be the best to that person, unless they have actually tried different machines. Besides...I may not have the "best" tablet, but al least my arms will be buffer :laugh:

watch for lenovo deals on fatwallet hot deals forum

few weeks ago, they had x61 deals coming below $1k. i would have loved to do it but i dont have the money.

So, go regularly look at that forum. I will try to post it here when I see any good lappy on sale. only thing I dont like about x61 is that it doesnt have a cd/dvd bay. i guess you can spend extra $50 to buy an external drive

watch for lenovo deals on fatwallet hot deals forum

few weeks ago, they had x61 deals coming below $1k. i would have loved to do it but i dont have the money.

So, go regularly look at that forum. I will try to post it here when I see any good lappy on sale. only thing I dont like about x61 is that it doesnt have a cd/dvd bay. i guess you can spend extra $50 to buy an external drive

I also have an employee code that will save you an additional 15% ;) to enter in at www.lenovo.com/cpp and then you can use the additional coupons for additional savings..you can get one well below 1k as you said...;)

pm me or email me if interested

i like the lenovo, but I think the HP 2000x series has more features including more memory and there's not much of a price difference either. And its weighs a little less than 5 lbs (so its as light as a macbook or slightly lighter)

i like the lenovo, but I think the HP 2000x series has more features including more memory and there's not much of a price difference either. And its weighs a little less than 5 lbs (so its as light as a macbook or slightly lighter)

i believe the x61 is 3.77 lbs...and hp doesn't offer turbo memory, while lenovo does...believe it or not, it makes a huge difference in being able to load commonly used programs much quicker

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/turbomemory/index.htm

in regards to memory...the x61 has 2 DIMM slots..so you can accommodate up to 4gb of ram with 2 2gb sticks...that is the max on any notebook at the moment... so it is not fair to say the HP has more memory. In addition, you would need x64 vista (64 bit) to be able to utilized all 4gb of ram..otherwise with the x86 vista (32 bit), the computer can only recognize up to 3gb of ram, even though you have 4gb physically installed

Upgrading my Powerbook G4 15in to a brand new MacBook Pro 15in.

Just bought a lenovo tablet and it is amazing. I had played around with a buddies hp 2000 series tablet for a month, and this is a far superior machine. It is much more sensitive as mentioned earlier as well as much quicker when loading and switching between applications. Got mine for @ 1600 hundred fully loaded w/ every bell and whistle. Go to dealigg.com and type in lenovo in the search menu and they will show you what coupons to use.

I'm thinking about a 17'' macbook pro now...

I'm thinking about a 17'' macbook pro now...

I have a regular MacBook and it's awesome. You might want to check them out too because they are lighter, smaller and about $1000 cheaper, but with very similar specs (just not as fancy and shiny looking). They also get better wifi reception because of the plastic casing as opposed to the metal casing on the macbook pro. You can't go wrong with a mac, though. :D

Do you think the employee code would work on the Canadian website? I am guessing the answer is no, but the amount I would have to pay in duty wouldn't be worth purchasing from the american site.... just let me know!

Do you think the employee code would work on the Canadian website? I am guessing the answer is no, but the amount I would have to pay in duty wouldn't be worth purchasing from the american site.... just let me know!

you've guessed correctly..only works for the US...for some reason thinkpads are much, much more expensive elsewhere besides the US...for example..if you wanted to get one in Japan or China..get read to shell out approx ~$4000 US dollars...yes that is correct....it is almos 300% more expensive in other parts of the world :eek:

There seems to be a lot of tablet talk, and even Lenovo talk going on. I was curious what you all thought of the other ultraportables (Sony Vaio SZ, Lenovo X300, etc.), especially the Lenovo one since it is brand new.

I was thinking about getting the X300 but it seems that people are loving the tablet uses in class that I might have to reconsider.

Oh! and another question for Shy: did you get the mobile media base for your tablet? It is a bit expensive, but I was wondering how necessary it is.

There seems to be a lot of tablet talk, and even Lenovo talk going on. I was curious what you all thought of the other ultraportables (Sony Vaio SZ, Lenovo X300, etc.), especially the Lenovo one since it is brand new.

I was thinking about getting the X300 but it seems that people are loving the tablet uses in class that I might have to reconsider.

Oh! and another question for Shy: did you get the mobile media base for your tablet? It is a bit expensive, but I was wondering how necessary it is.

well the x300 is not a tablet..plus it is going to come with a flash hd..which you can only get up to 64gb max...which is nothing for me

it also comes with a crappy cpu running at around 1.4ghz...this is to increase battery life....and it will run you around $2500 to start off at

the lcd will be LED..which is awesome...the x300 will be a 13.3in wide screen i believe..the x300 is lenovo's response to apples latest slim notebook

the x61t is a 12 in tablet...running on a spinning HD..and has the latest array of penryn CPU's..the x61 has a standard screen ration..not the wide screen...some people..especially people who like extra "real estate" such as programmers prefer the standard screen...the x61t will prob be lighter than the x300....

the only reason why there is a lot of tablet talk is because many DO schools require a tablet

regarding vaios..they have nice screens..but they are very flimsy...one drop and its gone...they are also overpriced IMO

I did get the mobile dock. I use it seldomly, but there are still programs out there that run on CDROM or need install from CDROM. If you have an external drive (a much cheaper option), that would suffice. Mainly the dock gathers dust on my desk.

As for a comparison, i've played with the HP (NOT a favorite of mine - but i've written about that before). Most other tablets are heavier than the Lenovo, and if I had to do it all over again today, I'd buy another Lenovo without a second thought. Rated higher by independent labs, lighter, durable... worth every penny. But I'd probably get an external CDROM rather than the dock.

Syncope, the X300 will come with a HDD later this year. The reason I considered it was because other than not being a tablet, it has just about everything I could want from a laptop. It is comparable to the X61 in weight, but due to it having a CDROM it does weigh it down.

The Penryn is nice to have, but seeing as the X300 favors the ULV, it was no surprise to me about the processor.

Shy, thanks for the note. I was considering doing that since CD/DVDROM externals are pretty cheap. I'm curious though as to why the tablet is so prevalent or emphasized by the DO schools to the point where it might be provided by the school.

I've never owned or known a family member or friend with a tablet, so I'm still wary of the whole thing. I guess you could say it is the swivel hinge that worries me. Lenovo makes great products though, so how long do you expect yours to last?

I've been on an x61 as an undergrad since July. It's a workhorse.

I was considering doing that since CD/DVDROM externals are pretty cheap.

Plugging in USB externals one at a time is less fun to me than leaving several plugged into the x61 ultrabase thingy, plus the power cord. Maybe a dozen times a day I dock/undock as I leave for school, come home, work in one room then back at my desk etc.

I'm curious though as to why the tablet is so prevalent or emphasized by the DO schools to the point where it might be provided by the school.

MD and vet schools are big on tablets too. Tablets are incredibly useful for taking notes on powerpoints, and then nothing needs to be printed by either the school or the student.

I've never owned or known a family member or friend with a tablet, so I'm still wary of the whole thing.

Of course you're wary. I was too. Pen systems have a rotten history. Why should they suddenly start being a good idea now? Answer: because the underlying technologies got stable enough to make it not suck with a reasonable pricetag.

I guess you could say it is the swivel hinge that worries me.

That hinge is a thing of beauty, like what you'd expect to find on a BMW. Big enough to be mechanically stable, small enough to not add weight. Flexible enough to not invite breakage, rigid enough to prevent wear. You can swivel and hinge at the same time, but the two motions are separated within the mechanism so they're not wearing against each other.

Lenovo makes great products though, so how long do you expect yours to last?

Compared with the average Dell, which I can typically keep using for at least 5 years, after dropping it down a stairwell or drenching it in coffee (meaning: Dell's are durable, dammit), the x61 is more durable. That said, I don't expect the screen to last more than a year before needing replacement (it takes a beating, as it should), and I expect I'll need to replace the mouse (which means the whole keyboard insert, I expect). Dells, as much as I like them, are really flabby in comparison to Lenovo.

I was shocked to find out how fast I could fill up 80 GB of disk. There's no such thing as a big enough disk or enough memory.

Best of luck to you.

I did get the mobile dock. I use it seldomly, but there are still programs out there that run on CDROM or need install from CDROM. If you have an external drive (a much cheaper option), that would suffice. Mainly the dock gathers dust on my desk.

As for a comparison, i've played with the HP (NOT a favorite of mine - but i've written about that before). Most other tablets are heavier than the Lenovo, and if I had to do it all over again today, I'd buy another Lenovo without a second thought. Rated higher by independent labs, lighter, durable... worth every penny. But I'd probably get an external CDROM rather than the dock.

I agree, get an external dvd player instead of a dock...dock is only worth it if you heavily rely on an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor

Syncope, the X300 will come with a HDD later this year. The reason I considered it was because other than not being a tablet, it has just about everything I could want from a laptop. It is comparable to the X61 in weight, but due to it having a CDROM it does weigh it down.

The Penryn is nice to have, but seeing as the X300 favors the ULV, it was no surprise to me about the processor.

I did not know that about the HDD later on for the x300. I'm not to welcoming to the ULV idea...unless it offers SIGNIFICANTLY better battery life....to save a half hour or so is not worth it for me...essentially, vista does a good job of speed stepping the CPU via power management to save battery life...why have a low end cpu?

That hinge is a thing of beauty, like what you'd expect to find on a BMW. Big enough to be mechanically stable, small enough to not add weight. Flexible enough to not invite breakage, rigid enough to prevent wear. You can swivel and hinge at the same time, but the two motions are separated within the mechanism so they're not wearing against each other.

the metal hinge is one of thinkpad's trademark qualities...thinkpads probably have the most stable lcd's out there...no flickering while moving the notebook either or using it in a moving vehicle

I think I'm still going to go with the HP. For the price and features, its unbeatable. Check this out (as quoted from www.XPBargains.com):

"HP has $400 off HP Pavilion tx2000z $1199+ w/ coupon code: NB0400 (exp 3/9).

new ultraportable HP Pavilion tx2000z Entertainment Notebook w/ Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-60 2GHz, 12.1" WXGA+ Wide Viewing Touch-screen (stylus included), GeForce Go6150, 2GB +$75, 160GB SATA, free DVD+-RW Lightscribe, 56k/NIC, 802.11b/g, free HP Imprint + fingerprint reader + webcam, 6-cell battery, Vista Home Premium for $1225 - $400 off coupon = $825 w/ free shipping."

Add even more upgrades, and you're looking at one bitch'n computer for around $1000.

Syncope, the HDD version is a well substantiated rumor at the moment, so just wait for it. But, I agree that it is strange for Lenovo NOT to use Penryn for it.

Still, after reviewing the options, I am starting to like the X61 tablet more and more. Although, I got a question for ShyRen: did you get the multitouch screen or the higher res Superview? I'm still deciding over that.

My Lenovo is two years old at this point - and still going strong. Nothing seems to kill this workhorse. The X41 didn't have the screen options. Sorry.

I think I'm still going to go with the HP. For the price and features, its unbeatable. Check this out (as quoted from www.XPBargains.com):

"HP has $400 off HP Pavilion tx2000z $1199+ w/ coupon code: NB0400 (exp 3/9).

new ultraportable HP Pavilion tx2000z Entertainment Notebook w/ Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core TL-60 2GHz, 12.1" WXGA+ Wide Viewing Touch-screen (stylus included), GeForce Go6150, 2GB +$75, 160GB SATA, free DVD+-RW Lightscribe, 56k/NIC, 802.11b/g, free HP Imprint + fingerprint reader + webcam, 6-cell battery, Vista Home Premium for $1225 - $400 off coupon = $825 w/ free shipping."

Add even more upgrades, and you're looking at one bitch'n computer for around $1000.

A couple of questions....
1) Is this a good deal given the spec? Is this a good computer?
2) I know that many schools include the price of a laptop in the budget/loan. Is it OK to buy now and still ask for it in the budget/loan?

I'm thinking of buying one now so that I get used to using a tablet and my transition from a Mac to a PC. I just wish there is a store with a few tablets for me to try. No store seems to carry any tablets.

A couple of questions....
1) Is this a good deal given the spec? Is this a good computer?
2) I know that many schools include the price of a laptop in the budget/loan. Is it OK to buy now and still ask for it in the budget/loan?

I'm thinking of buying one now so that I get used to using a tablet and my transition from a Mac to a PC. I just wish there is a store with a few tablets for me to try. No store seems to carry any tablets.

There are a few things to consider:

1. This is an awsome deal given the specs. Compare it to the baseline lenovo, and you're getting quite a few more features (larger Hard Drive, webcam, dvd burner, Nvidia graphics) for a lot less. If you run the baseline configurations, and look at the price without applying coupons (I'm assuming lenovo and HP provide similar discount coupons), then you get the following:

Lenovo Baseline at $1,559.22:

Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHz processor
Vista Business
12.1" 1024 x 768 SXGA screen
1 GB RAM
Intel GMA X3100 graphics
80 GB Hard Drive
A/B/G wireless card
4 cell battery
No optical drive
1 Year warranty

HP Baseline at $999.99:

Vista Home Premium
AMD Dual Core 2.0 GHz
12.1" Widescreen 1280 x 800 Active/Passive Screen
1 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce Go 6150
Imprint finish + built-in webcamera, fingerprint reader, and microphone
160 GB Hard Drive
A/B/G Wireless card
Lightscribe DL-DVD Burner
6 cell battery
1 Year warranty

However, if you wan't reliability, I'm not sure about the HP. I have owned one in the past without problems, but I get the feeling the Lenovo is stronger. If you're like me, and purchase a new computer every two years or so, then HP's warranty will serve its purpose. HP definitely more entertainment orientated and will provide upgrades like tv-tuners. Lenovo is more business orientated, black and simple, with more upgrade options like larger and faster hard drives, turbo memory, etc.

2. Just wait until you get your financial aid package. These deals come along often enough that buying now wouldn't be the best idea. By waiting, infact, you might even get a better deal on either tablet as technology is always increasing and they may provide more features or even a newer model by the time school comes around.

I personally own an imac, and really don't like the idea of moving back to a PC. However, I think the tablet's capabilities will make it very valuable in medical school (and mac doesn't offer a tablet yet).

I think it is hard to compare the build qualities of Lenovo and HP. That HP seems almost tailored to the general consumer over a business user. I honestly believe that you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to high end electronics. You have to know what you want out of it and if you intend on replacing your tablet in 2 years, then HP is fine. I make the Lenovo purchase with the assumption it will last 4+ years with proper care.

Oh and the SXGA on the X61 has a resolution of 1400 x 1050 or something. This is another topic I'd like to bring up.

The current X61 has two screen options: Superview with 1400 x 1050 as stated above, or you can add $70 to the cost and get a Multitouch screen at a resolution of 1024 x 768. The Multitouch screen allows for the enter screen to be touch sentitive to anything, be a PDA stylus or a finger. So, you can navigate links and such with something other than the pen. The Superview has a much bigger resolution, but the pen is the only thing that can activate the screen, from what I get.

So, which would you all chose or would have chosen if you had the choice?

There are a few things to consider:

1. This is an awsome deal given the specs. Compare it to the baseline lenovo, and you're getting quite a few more features (larger Hard Drive, webcam, dvd burner, Nvidia graphics) for a lot less. If you run the baseline configurations, and look at the price without applying coupons (I'm assuming lenovo and HP provide similar discount coupons), then you get the following:

Lenovo Baseline at $1,559.22:

Intel Core Duo 1.6 GHz processor
Vista Business
12.1" 1024 x 768 SXGA screen
1 GB RAM
Intel GMA X3100 graphics
80 GB Hard Drive
A/B/G wireless card
4 cell battery
No optical drive
1 Year warranty

HP Baseline at $999.99:

Vista Home Premium
AMD Dual Core 2.0 GHz
12.1" Widescreen 1280 x 800 Active/Passive Screen
1 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce Go 6150
Imprint finish + built-in webcamera, fingerprint reader, and microphone
160 GB Hard Drive
A/B/G Wireless card
Lightscribe DL-DVD Burner
6 cell battery
1 Year warranty

However, if you wan't reliability, I'm not sure about the HP. I have owned one in the past without problems, but I get the feeling the Lenovo is stronger. If you're like me, and purchase a new computer every two years or so, then HP's warranty will serve its purpose. HP definitely more entertainment orientated and will provide upgrades like tv-tuners. Lenovo is more business orientated, black and simple, with more upgrade options like larger and faster hard drives, turbo memory, etc.

2. Just wait until you get your financial aid package. These deals come along often enough that buying now wouldn't be the best idea. By waiting, infact, you might even get a better deal on either tablet as technology is always increasing and they may provide more features or even a newer model by the time school comes around.

I personally own an imac, and really don't like the idea of moving back to a PC. However, I think the tablet's capabilities will make it very valuable in medical school (and mac doesn't offer a tablet yet).

keep in mind that if you use the employee access...(email me for access)..that is 15% off that baseline price, and there are always plenty of coupon codes for an additional discount...just do a search at www.slickdeals.net or www.fatwallet.com ..which will bring the price down significantly for the lenovo thinkpad

i also believe you get what you pay for...the hp will be more plasticy and more cheap...and definetly less durable than a thinkpad...the metal swivel joint on the tablet is a work of art...other manufacturers can only hope to emulate something like that.

Now when you say "Multitouch" for Lenovo x61 you mean pen and finger not multiple contacts at one time right (ie. iphone)? Thanks

keep in mind that if you use the employee access...(email me for access)..that is 15% off that baseline price, and there are always plenty of coupon codes for an additional discount...just do a search at www.slickdeals.net or www.fatwallet.com ..which will bring the price down significantly for the lenovo thinkpad

i also believe you get what you pay for...the hp will be more plasticy and more cheap...and definetly less durable than a thinkpad...the metal swivel joint on the tablet is a work of art...other manufacturers can only hope to emulate something like that.

I would agree, and from what I've heard, the HP is not as solid as the Lenovo if you are looking for reliability/durability. However, I also think computer manufacturers inflate prices big time, notoriously lenovo: I mean, look at the base specs. My money is still with the HP. With the purchase of an extended warranty for a few hundred bucks, I get the same reassurance as the lenovo, a whole lot more features, and still end up paying less.

I would agree, and from what I've heard, the HP is not as solid as the Lenovo if you are looking for reliability/durability. However, I also think computer manufacturers inflate prices big time, notoriously lenovo: I mean, look at the base specs. My money is still with the HP. With the purchase of an extended warranty for a few hundred bucks, I get the same reassurance as the lenovo, a whole lot more features, and still end up paying less.

I'm not too sure about this.....lenovo has dramatically dropped prices on a thinkpad...just 2 years ago, it would be unheard of to get a thinkpad under $2000....for everything the lenovo offers...im surprised they don't charge more at this point...people would still buy it...remember..lenovo makes most of its money from business users, not home users..and businesses don't think twice about shelling out a few more hundred for extended reliability..especially when they are dealing with executives where data integrity is of the upmost importance

now you can get a top of the line t series for ~$1000, fully loaded

one would hope data integrity would be of the upmost importance too in med school...gosh..wouldn't it suck to have a HD failure a few days before midterms or finals?

btw..here is a quick tip...use your AMEX card and you get an additional year of warranty :)

Now when you say "Multitouch" for Lenovo x61 you mean pen and finger not multiple contacts at one time right (ie. iphone)? Thanks

Yeah, it's not the same thing as the MacBook Air or iPhone where you pinch and it shrinks and stuff like that. Multitouch for the tablet means you can use just about any pointy object to click, scroll and write on the screen.

It seems kind of handy to just tap the screen twitch to open an application, but I would also prefer the large resolution and I don't know how often I will be poking my screen for just convenience purposes.

At any rate, if I can save a buck on the Lenovo tablet, I'll be getting it for sure.

Yeah, it's not the same thing as the MacBook Air or iPhone where you pinch and it shrinks and stuff like that. Multitouch for the tablet means you can use just about any pointy object to click, scroll and write on the screen.

It seems kind of handy to just tap the screen twitch to open an application, but I would also prefer the large resolution and I don't know how often I will be poking my screen for just convenience purposes.

At any rate, if I can save a buck on the Lenovo tablet, I'll be getting it for sure.

multitouch is unnecessary on a tablet...most people ask for it..but what?..do you have 2 right hands to write with? the only good use is the iphone use for the "squeeze" for zoom and so forth

to save a few extra bucks..use the www.lenovo.com/cpp portal..an access code will be required..which i pm'd you...

then use a current coupon code ...do a google search that will give you an additional percentage off the 15% you save for going through the above portal

one would hope data integrity would be of the upmost importance too in med school...gosh..wouldn't it suck to have a HD failure a few days before midterms or finals?

I definitely will not go without a large external hard drive for back up purposes. BTW, is anyone else amazed by apple's time machine for os x leopard? I have my imac hooked up to an external HD and it automatically does backups every hour. On the desktop, I can navigate into my files just like when I made the backup. Even better, I can go back months and months. PC's need a program like this.

I definitely will not go without a large external hard drive for back up purposes. BTW, is anyone else amazed by apple's time machine for os x leopard? I have my imac hooked up to an external HD and it automatically does backups every hour. On the desktop, I can navigate into my files just like when I made the backup. Even better, I can go back months and months. PC's need a program like this.

of course it is always advised to have an external for backups...but would you religiously back it up every day? ...what if you miss a day? a few days in med school is a lot of work to be catching up on......better to have a notebook that wont' crash at all (thinkpad)

leapords time machine is a joke..and a rip off from vista

vista has shadow copies..which is the same thing..and you don't need an external hd (unlike leapard)..since vista will reserve 15% of your HD space just for this "time machine" purpose

yea..vista doesn't have the cool UGI like leopard..but it does the same job..

for anyone that does not know what vista shadow copies are..this is what it is

imagine you are working on editing a large photograph......say you take it a step to far and you wish you could go back to yesterdays "version"...or if you deleted a folder or file..and then decided a week later that you did need it...what to do now?

all you do is right click the file or folder..and click "go to previous versions" and choose the date you want to roll back to..simple as that! :)