What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^^^

I think it is mostly old editions.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I've seen the PDF trend going on for textbooks, but I'd have a hard time not having a solid book. It might just take some getting used to.

I would definitely prefer a more tech school if possible, but that time will come much later I suppose.

About the Macs, yeah, that's probably true. I am finding the differences minor between the pro and regular. Frankly, asking $700 more needs some justification. Although, I really haven't looked into Macs because I am getting a ThinkPad.

Speaking of OS, has anyone used Ubuntu or another Linux on their laptop or even their tablet? I've seen some Youtube videos using it and it's very interesting. It also doesn't seem to have many issues with Windows programs. The only problems I see with Linux involve the tablet and getting the pen to be more responsive, but that's easy tweaking (lots of guides and FAQs online).

I had been debating as to what type of laptop to get and had decided on the lenovo, but was trying to order it through the american site and then pick it up and bring it back home (Canada). As I had finally figured out how to do so yesterday, my laptop officially threw in the towel after 6 years. Only one tablet was available in the city, the hp 1000 and I decided to just get it, as it was a bit cheaper and my brother had the earlier version and was happy with it. So far, it seems great. You do have to push a bit hard to write, but it's something one could definetly get used to. Anyways, just thought I'd give some insight into a tablet that is affordable (1000 CDN$) with pen, 6 cell battery etc. and seems to be pretty user friendly!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had been debating as to what type of laptop to get and had decided on the lenovo, but was trying to order it through the american site and then pick it up and bring it back home (Canada). As I had finally figured out how to do so yesterday, my laptop officially threw in the towel after 6 years. Only one tablet was available in the city, the hp 1000 and I decided to just get it, as it was a bit cheaper and my brother had the earlier version and was happy with it. So far, it seems great. You do have to push a bit hard to write, but it's something one could definetly get used to. Anyways, just thought I'd give some insight into a tablet that is affordable (1000 CDN$) with pen, 6 cell battery etc. and seems to be pretty user friendly!!

You have to push harder because it has a passive digitizer. Any tablet with an active digitizer won't require as much force.

Well, does the active digitizer equate to whether or not it is Wacom enabled? Because I notice that the Wacom enabled tablets are also pressure sensitive, which is what an artist would need.

I believe the new HP tablet is Wacom enabled, but I doubt that is a main factor in people's decision. It's just a nice thing to have I suppose, not to mention the screen is more sensitive as a result.

Well, does the active digitizer equate to whether or not it is Wacom enabled? Because I notice that the Wacom enabled tablets are also pressure sensitive, which is what an artist would need.

I believe the new HP tablet is Wacom enabled, but I doubt that is a main factor in people's decision. It's just a nice thing to have I suppose, not to mention the screen is more sensitive as a result.

A tablet with a passive digitizer will not be "pressure sensitive"; it can't differentiate between pressures. It's like an all-or-none response. A wacom enabled tablet has an active digitizer that will actually make inking more like real life -- more pressure equates to darker and thicker marks.

Edit: Yeah the HP tx2000z series tablets are wacom enabled with active digitizers.

For anyone using a tablet PC, do you have any issues with your screen getting scratched and would you recommend the purchase of any type of protective film?

On tabletpcreview forums, I've heard varying accounts. Some say the covers skew the pen's accuracy while others say it just makes the screen a little fuzzier, not necessarily less accurate. I think it would really have to depend on the model of tablet and whether or not it is Wacom enabled (as discussed above).

I'm getting a Lenovo x61....anyone have issues with the screen being scratched on these, or should I not worry?

I'm getting a Lenovo x61....anyone have issues with the screen being scratched on these, or should I not worry?

don't worry..they are made to be "written on"....at my work, we have over 20 x61t's distributed to our employees and none have ever came back with any "scratch" issues

Some people buy a textbook scanner and scan all of the books into their tablets

Why bother using up the space??
It's just as easy to write on the notes you had to buy in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we're making the assumption that the school just posts the ppts/pdfs online and you bring them to class. I can imagine just downloading all the lectures/material to the tablet and writing on them from there. Furthermore, it can be easily highlighted and erased, in color, and what-not.

I guess it does depend on the school though. Like the first posts said, some books are PDF now so it would be cool to carry all of your books on your tablet, organize them by section (if you use a PDF organizer, you can split up PDF pages and make new PDFs), and write on them. That'd be cool.

What do you guys think about the toshiba protege m700. Is it worth it?

Arrggg....
I came as close to buying a Lenovo x61 as just having to click the "pay" button online before changing my mind.

The thing was....do I REALLY need a new computer? I already have one....I was going to use the tablet/Microsoft Onenote to take notes on the lecture Power pt and the computer "paper" while taking notes. But, I figured, I'm just an old fashioned learner...I think I learn better on paper. So, I'll just get a color laser printer, print out the power pts before coming to school, take notes on it and use a blank sheet to go along with that power pt slide if need. I'm sure I'll end up with a ton of paper. But, I'm just not a very tech type of a guy.

My question for those who own tablets is "Do you print out the power pts and your notes that go along with power pts out to study?" If so, isn't it just as easy to just print them out to take notes on rather than taking notes on the tablets? I know there are search functions, various color writing implements you can use with tablets. But, aside from that is there a huge advantage of tablets that I'm not thinking of?

Again, I study better on paper, I think. So, even if I take notes on tablets, I'll likely just print them out. That's how I'll work in school.....so tablet or not to tablet? What do you think?

Well, first, I'd look into what the school is going to do for you. Like orthodoc40 said, tablets at his school are useless because the notes are purchased in a giant packet. So, everything is already printed out.

Furthermore, what do you have right now? I think a work laptop is necessary, tablet or not, so if you have a usable laptop right now, will it suffice?

The reason I'm waiting is due to school I plan to attend. I don't know where I'll be 2 years from now, so it's best to just consider all of the options.

The thing was....do I REALLY need a new computer? I already have one....I was going to use the tablet/Microsoft Onenote to take notes on the lecture Power pt and the computer "paper" while taking notes. But, I figured, I'm just an old fashioned learner...I think I learn better on paper. So, I'll just get a color laser printer, print out the power pts before coming to school, take notes on it and use a blank sheet to go along with that power pt slide if need. I'm sure I'll end up with a ton of paper. But, I'm just not a very tech type of a guy.

while color lasor printers are cheap, cartridges are still expensive. Be prepared for pay $400 for a cartridge chage.

You can buy them in bulk and get a big discount. And $400 per cartridge? Is this one of those huge, fast printing laser printers? I'd be more worried about how much that is going to cost.

ocwaveoc, I think you pretty much answered your own delimma with your post. I know I gave suggestions, but it sounds like you probably don't need/want a new computer right now. If the tablet functions scare you, however, I'd have a second look at it. Fiddling with one a few times at stores has taught me a bit, along with videos and FAQs online. When you finally decide to get a tablet, it won't take long to learn.

[FONT=Courier New,Courier][SIZE=+1]Lenovo.com[/SIZE].[SIZE=+1] - 10% off to 20% off, code: USPTHRESHOLD[/SIZE]
Coupon code USPTHRESHOLD gives 20% off of X and Tablet models, and 10% off most other configurations. This coupon is in addition to automatic 25% discounts on their site. Some deals:
  • Thinkpad R61e 15" for $532, or $452 after coupon: Intel Celeron 1.86GHz, 1GB, 80GB, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 6-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad T Series 14" with integrated graphics for $850, or $765 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty. Our recommended configuration prices at $880 after coupon, for Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz CPU, Windows XP Professional, 1GB 1-DIMM, 160GB hard drive, DVD Burner, Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG, integrated Bluetooth, and 6-cell battery. $880 is a very good deal for that configuration.
  • Thinkpad T Series 15" with integrated graphics for $850, or $765 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, memory card reader, 6-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad X61 12" for $1060, or $954 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T7250, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty. We recommend upgrading to Windows XP Home, 1GB 1-DIMM, 160GB hard drive, DVD Burner, Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG to bring the price to $963 or $866 after coupon.
  • Thinkpad X61s for $1229, or $982 after coupon: Core 2 Duo L7500, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad X Series 12" Tablet for $1559, or $1247 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T7500, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
When entering the coupon, make sure there are no spaces, commas, or extra characters before and after the letters of the coupon, otherwise it may not apply any discount.
spacer.gif

Lenovo gives an option to get Windows XP instead of Vista. If this laptop is meant for business & productivity use, we recommend the older Windows XP because as of today, it is more stable and performs better than Vista.
spacer.gif

The X Series are very lightweight at 3 lbs and have lower battery consumption than a standard notebook computer, so a 4-cell battery can give about 4 hours of usage. However the X Series have no internal CD/DVD drive so you must use networking to share a CD/DVD drive from another computer, or use another computer to copy CD/DVDs onto a USB Flash Drive, or just get an external USB CD/DVD drive and attach to this laptop. The X61 are regular lightweight laptop computers, X61s are slightly thinner, and X Series "Tablet" can be used as either a laptop computer or a touch-screen device.

my little bro had a 2 year old macbook that was out of warranty but wouldnt reboot after an upgrade. he stopped using it about 2 months ago. i took it from him and called up apple, after 15 minutes with them on the phone, they are sending me a new 2.4ghz, 2.0gb ram, 160gb hd, leopard osx macbook for free. im excited.

I tried out the Lenovo x61 at a local store and was pretty happy with it. However, I hated the strange "track button". I couldn't point it to where I needed to point to. What's up with that? Do people ever get used that? I guess since x61 seems to be popular.

In your opinions, what do you think about the below config?
80 Gig 5400 rpm
1 G memory
Turbo memory (really helpful? and how?)
4 cell battery

my little bro had a 2 year old macbook that was out of warranty but wouldnt reboot after an upgrade. he stopped using it about 2 months ago. i took it from him and called up apple, after 15 minutes with them on the phone, they are sending me a new 2.4ghz, 2.0gb ram, 160gb hd, leopard osx macbook for free. im excited.

so you're getting an upgrade to the machine your brother had? they aren't that generous....they're sending you the newest processor too!

so you're getting an upgrade to the machine your brother had? they aren't that generous....they're sending you the newest processor too!

i hope the same thing happens to me today. my macbook was one of the first batches and has been a great computer, but about 2 months ago my hard drive crashed and it happened again last night right after i put in a new battery i got for my birthday. last time, something went corrupt with the disk, but this time i think it may be damaged because it makes a clicking sound when i turn it on...not good. Apple Care has always been good to me, given me 3 iphones, replaced an ipod, and fixed my macbook case 2 times already, all very promptly. ive been wanting to get a new machine for school, but sending this one in for a new one would certainly suffice. a guy can dream right?

Love the trackbutton. HATE a pad. And you can always use the pen - hover over the screen and you can move the cursor that way.

yeah! my brothers computer had 80gb, 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, etc. now they are sending me the newest one after 15 minutes of complaining. I sent out the package yesterday and doesnt leave till today at 2pm from fedex to them but the new one is already shipped and coming in today or tomorrow (overnighted too!). it has been fixed 8 times for us, so this time they are just sending a new one with a new warranty and everything.

i also checked out the new macbook air, i like the design but its a waste of money. no internal cd/dvd, 1 usb port, and dc, and headphone connector. thats all.

I tried out the Lenovo x61 at a local store and was pretty happy with it. However, I hated the strange "track button". I couldn't point it to where I needed to point to. What's up with that? Do people ever get used that? I guess since x61 seems to be popular.

In your opinions, what do you think about the below config?
80 Gig 5400 rpm
1 G memory
Turbo memory (really helpful? and how?)
4 cell battery

it takes a few days to get used to..but once you are used to it...you'll find that you will like it much better for it's better precision

syncope, that's pretty awesome that you keep posting all these coupons! thanks for doing that, and i'll definitely hit you up when the time comes for me to buy a computer. i think i might wait a few months until after i get my $600 bucks from mr. bush.
i was looking at the x series tablet, but i had a few questions. i know a little about computers, but most of what you guys are saying on this thread is over my head. i clicked on the link for the x series, and was just wondering how many of those fancy ad-ons to customize your computer really make a difference.
for example...the 8-cell battery compared to the 4-cell, would i really need the docking station, or is it worth $35 to up the HD from 80GB to 160GB?

i currently have a giant 8-lb toshiba satellite monster that my dad convinced me to buy because of the big screen. before that i had a little bitty sleek and snazzy vaio (never going back to that..it was a POS, although very cute).

i like macs a lot, but they're expensive and there is no delete key. i think i would be gung-ho for a thinkpad if they were only more aesthetically pleasing. who oh why are they so ugly?!

obviously, i'm going to need some serious help in finding a computer that is both cute and with awesome capabilities. i know that it's what's on the inside that matters, so laugh at me if you will, but i still want a nice-looking computer!

:)

[FONT=Courier New,Courier][SIZE=+1]Lenovo.com[/SIZE].[SIZE=+1] - 10% off to 20% off, code: USPTHRESHOLD[/SIZE]
Coupon code USPTHRESHOLD gives 20% off of X and Tablet models, and 10% off most other configurations. This coupon is in addition to automatic 25% discounts on their site. Some deals:
  • Thinkpad R61e 15" for $532, or $452 after coupon: Intel Celeron 1.86GHz, 1GB, 80GB, CD-RW/DVD-ROM, 6-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad T Series 14" with integrated graphics for $850, or $765 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty. Our recommended configuration prices at $880 after coupon, for Core 2 Duo T8100 2.1GHz CPU, Windows XP Professional, 1GB 1-DIMM, 160GB hard drive, DVD Burner, Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG, integrated Bluetooth, and 6-cell battery. $880 is a very good deal for that configuration.
  • Thinkpad T Series 15" with integrated graphics for $850, or $765 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T8100, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, memory card reader, 6-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad X61 12" for $1060, or $954 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T7250, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty. We recommend upgrading to Windows XP Home, 1GB 1-DIMM, 160GB hard drive, DVD Burner, Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG to bring the price to $963 or $866 after coupon.
  • Thinkpad X61s for $1229, or $982 after coupon: Core 2 Duo L7500, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
  • Thinkpad X Series 12" Tablet for $1559, or $1247 after coupon: Core 2 Duo T7500, 1GB memory, 80GB hard drive, 4-cell battery, 1 year warranty.
When entering the coupon, make sure there are no spaces, commas, or extra characters before and after the letters of the coupon, otherwise it may not apply any discount.
spacer.gif

Lenovo gives an option to get Windows XP instead of Vista. If this laptop is meant for business & productivity use, we recommend the older Windows XP because as of today, it is more stable and performs better than Vista.
spacer.gif

The X Series are very lightweight at 3 lbs and have lower battery consumption than a standard notebook computer, so a 4-cell battery can give about 4 hours of usage. However the X Series have no internal CD/DVD drive so you must use networking to share a CD/DVD drive from another computer, or use another computer to copy CD/DVDs onto a USB Flash Drive, or just get an external USB CD/DVD drive and attach to this laptop. The X61 are regular lightweight laptop computers, X61s are slightly thinner, and X Series "Tablet" can be used as either a laptop computer or a touch-screen device.

has any one figured out if these coupon codes can be stacked on the
www.lenovo.com/cpp enter code 556655 ?? thanks

has any one figured out if these coupon codes can be stacked on the
www.lenovo.com/cpp enter code 556655 ?? thanks

They cannot be stacked through the contractor portal for the x61 and I'd assume any other systems. Out of curiosity, I tried all variations and coupon codes from a number of websites. I tallied it and the cost is less with the coupons compared to the portal. How long does the coupon code above last?

They cannot be stacked through the contractor portal for the x61 and I'd assume any other systems. Out of curiosity, I tried all variations and coupon codes from a number of websites. I tallied it and the cost is less with the coupons compared to the portal. How long does the coupon code above last?

the best thing to do is go through the www.fatwallet.com portal....you will get 10% back on your purchase...it takes 3-4 mo ..but it works!!..they wait that long to make sure you don't end up returning it and it is a valid purchase...and they'll transfer it to ure paypal account or send you a check

they don't allow the CPP or EPP program..so just do it normally with the above coupon codes and you will get an additional 4% back...then use your amex card for an extra year of warranty...and you'll get 3% back from amex...so there is an additional 4% + 3% savings+additional year of warranty for free!!

http://www.fatwallet.com/cash-back-coupons/Lenovo

the best thing to do is go through the www.fatwallet.com portal....you will get 10% back on your purchase...it takes 3-4 mo ..but it works!!..they wait that long to make sure you don't end up returning it and it is a valid purchase...and they'll transfer it to ure paypal account or send you a check

they don't allow the CPP or EPP program..so just do it normally with the above coupon codes and you will get an additional 4% back...then use your amex card for an extra year of warranty...and you'll get 3% back from amex...so there is an additional 4% + 3% savings!!

Heh - are you a bot? I swear you've told me the exact same thing before. ;)Aside from that, my original question was with regard to the duration of coupon code effectiveness? Any idea? I will check out fatwallet!

Heh - are you a bot? I swear you've told me the exact same thing before. ;)Aside from that, my original question was with regard to the duration of coupon code effectiveness? Any idea? I will check out fatwallet!

it's called copy and paste ;)

no duration known..they usually only last a week or so..that's it

Syncope:
Do you know anything about Lenovo's return policy?

Syncope:
Do you know anything about Lenovo's return policy?

yea..if you open it..you get charged a 15% restocking fee...if you don't i think it's free..but things always change and i last bought a comp there personally in 08/07

Speaking of OS, has anyone used Ubuntu or another Linux on their laptop or even their tablet? I've seen some Youtube videos using it and it's very interesting. It also doesn't seem to have many issues with Windows programs. The only problems I see with Linux involve the tablet and getting the pen to be more responsive, but that's easy tweaking (lots of guides and FAQs online).

Hey, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I've been running linux for 6 years now. 2 years dual-booting with Windows, 2 years with Gentoo and now 2 years with Ubuntu. I've gotta say, I LOVE linux!! Gentoo was nice because it was as minimalist as I wanted it to bed and all the software was optimized for my computer. The problem was it required a lot of manual work to upkeep the system and sometimes a good bit of linux knowledge to get things working correctly. There's PLENTY of online walkthroughs and such, and I always managed to fix any problems that crept up, but the shear amount of time I was putting into it led me to switch to Ubuntu. Ubuntu is WAY easy! Its a little bit more bloated because of the GNOME things it runs, but it still runs a hell of a lot faster than any windows platform!! Its super easy to upkeep, its got automatic update checkers and installs and configs everything for you! (Gentoo and a program for searching for programs and updating them as well, but it requires more input from the user). I have every intention of remaining with linux on my new tablet when I finally decide on one, and most of them are completely linux compatible. If you're curious, check out http://www.linux-on-laptops.com. They have a good list of walkthroughs for getting various laptops and tablets working in linux.

Nate.

I hesitated and lost out!
The St.Pat's sale of 22% off on the x61 tablet combined with the USPTHRESHOLD would have given me a good price (~$1500 with the options I wanted). But, since it's still a lot of money, I was going back and forth..... THEN, the USPTHRESHOLD coupon stopped working!! Now I really can't get it.

I should just get the Gateway 14 inch tablet......arrrgggg
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

I'm torn. Should I buy this now? Or should I hold out for a better deal? Look at my Lenovo cart below to see the details. I'm saving like $640.00 here! If I buy now I know I'm getting a great deal. But if I wait, the novelty will not have worn off by the time I start school (silly reason, I know). Plus I keep thinking I'll have more money later this summer. Truth is, I don't know why that would be true.

Cart details

Quantity
Part number
Description
Availability
Item price
Line total

7668CTO ThinkPad X61s - 1 Year Depot Warranty
Ships within 2-3 weeks** $1,705.00 $1,329.90 $1,705.00 $1,329.90

Processor Intel® Core? 2 Duo L7500 LV (1.6GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Operating System Language
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English
Display
12.1" XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
Total memory
1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
Keyboard
Keyboard US English
Pointing device
TrackPoint
Hard Drive
120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm Serial ATA (2.5")
Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache
Intel Turbo Memory 1GB
Wireless card
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)
Battery
ThinkPad X61s 8 Cell High Capacity Battery
Power cord
Country Pack North America
Language Pack
Language Pack US English
Warranty
7668: Express - 1 Year Depot Warranty Subtotal: $ 1,705.00 Sale

Price: $ 1,329.90 [USPMARCHSAVINGS] -$ 265.98

Estimated total: $ 1,063.92* Total savings $ 641.08

wait for the bush "fix the recession" check to come in the mail this summer. 2 of you plus 1 child, thats $1500. Enough money to buy you a new notebook.

The St.Pat's sale of 22% off on the x61 tablet combined with the USPTHRESHOLD would have given me a good price (~$1500 with the options I wanted). But, since it's still a lot of money, I was going back and forth..... THEN, the USPTHRESHOLD coupon stopped working!! Now I really can't get it.

there will be another sale soon enough..you just have to be proactive....

ewwe..i'd never settle on a gateway

Hold off. Don't jump the gun, buy just before school starts. Chances are they will be cheaper, newer versions, or offer better specs as the standard.

Hold off. Don't jump the gun, buy just before school starts. Chances are they will be cheaper, newer versions, or offer better specs as the standard.

On most occasions..i would 100% agree with you here.....but, the latest tech just came out..and that is Penryn....there will not be anything newer than the Penryn coming out for AT LEAST another 12 mo....so if you buy now...you'll have the latest notebook for another 12 mo....

If you really want the lenovo, then I'd wait since you don't need the computer right now. The learning curve on the tablets are really quick, so don't worry about having to wait another week or 2, or even longer, to get the one you want. Don't settle just to settle, otherwise you will have buyers remorse, regardless of the brand you get. This is a big investment, so make sure you get the one you want.

It seems 100% certain that DCOM will not be using the Gateway model next year. They are test driving other tablets now and having some students check them out too. Although I have not had any problems with the Gateway, I know the pens can be very touchy and fragile. Most of us have gone thru at least one pen, others many more, but those people are much more aggressive and violent with their equipment. The biggest learning curve for the new computers will be MS Office 2007 b/c it is a lot different from the versions of the past 15 years. It takes awhile to get used to where things are and such, but they are good programs, just awkward at first.

I have seen both the Lenovo and the Dell tablet so far, and altho I haven't really had the chance to mess around with either too much, if I had to pick one, it would be the Lenovo. I liked the Lenovo's pen better than both the Dell and the Gateway, especially with the pencil like erase feature. That is really nice. The one thing I think the Gateway has over any tablet I have used (x61 and dell) so far is screen size. Gateway has the only 14" widescreen of the tablets I have used and the extra size is nice. Do I think it is a reason to choose this over other models, no b/c its not that big of a deal in the end. But from what I've seen (and heard from our IT dept and other students here) is that the Lenovo is pretty impressive and a great choice for a tablet and I don't think anyone would go wrong in getting it for themselves.

If you really want the lenovo, then I'd wait since you don't need the computer right now. The learning curve on the tablets are really quick, so don't worry about having to wait another week or 2, or even longer, to get the one you want. Don't settle just to settle, otherwise you will have buyers remorse, regardless of the brand you get. This is a big investment, so make sure you get the one you want.

It seems 100% certain that DCOM will not be using the Gateway model next year. They are test driving other tablets now and having some students check them out too. Although I have not had any problems with the Gateway, I know the pens can be very touchy and fragile. Most of us have gone thru at least one pen, others many more, but those people are much more aggressive and violent with their equipment. The biggest learning curve for the new computers will be MS Office 2007 b/c it is a lot different from the versions of the past 15 years. It takes awhile to get used to where things are and such, but they are good programs, just awkward at first.

I have seen both the Lenovo and the Dell tablet so far, and altho I haven't really had the chance to mess around with either too much, if I had to pick one, it would be the Lenovo. I liked the Lenovo's pen better than both the Dell and the Gateway, especially with the pencil like erase feature. That is really nice. The one thing I think the Gateway has over any tablet I have used (x61 and dell) so far is screen size. Gateway has the only 14" widescreen of the tablets I have used and the extra size is nice. Do I think it is a reason to choose this over other models, no b/c its not that big of a deal in the end. But from what I've seen (and heard from our IT dept and other students here) is that the Lenovo is pretty impressive and a great choice for a tablet and I don't think anyone would go wrong in getting it for themselves.
how do you have so much time to type? spring break already? :p

just giving you a hard time...but as again..awesome response! really helpful

Thanks for the info Nascar.

Also, if you look at Lenovo's website, they're having another "sale" to celebrate spring. It's the same up to 25% so you might find something.

In general, I feel like sensitivity is important to choosing a tablet. Like a lot of us said, you do get what you pay for. I tried a HP tz1000 out at Fry's the other day, being sold at $1,050 and a Fujitsu tablet (forgot model) being sold at $1,980. The screen sensitivity difference was huge, although I was very disappointed that neither tablet was Wacom enable aka pressure sensitive.

I also hope that the schools consider Lenovo as an option where tablet is mandatory. TCOM is a good example and I hope they make a good decision.