What major as a prepharmacy? BS or BA in what????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charmi87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI EvErY OnE
I am a communtiy college student right now taking biology 1 chemistry1 composition1 and calc1 and i am planning to move next year

but my question Is wHaT mAjOr to chOOse? BS in Biology or BS in Cemistry or Bs in biochemistry Plz can you guys write their own undergraduate majors before entering to pharmacy schools...............plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out!! :confused:

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think either one of those 3 majors would be a good choice, but I'd choose Biochemistry if I absolutely had to :) It all comes down to your own preference though.

However, I didnt pursue a major before my acceptance into Pharm. school. I just took all the required pre-requisites for 2 years and I was good to go. :)

I plan on getting a BA in Psychology and a minor in Biological Sciences.

At my school, a Psych major is set at a minimum of 38 credits, and a Bio minor is simply 6 courses in the life sciences.

If no school accepts me during my senior year, I will do a 5th year of undergrad, getting a BA degree in Biological Sciences while doing some Psych research to receive Honors in Psychology.

Just major in whatever interests you. Any major is acceptable, and schools actually want some sort of diversity in their students.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're set on going to pharmacy school choose any major you like and do well in... as long as your pre-pharm gpa is high and your major gpa is also up there then your chances are good to get into pharmacy overall.

I'm a molecular bio & biochem major and i like it a lot. It allowed me to do a lot of research which I like and made me interested in pharmacy. My major is hard and so my gpa is not up there while my roomie opted for psych major with neurosci minor, high gpa (bcuz psych has easier classes) and got into pharm school easily.

Although theres also LOR, EC...etc... to it. --In the end, pursue what you like.

charmi87 said:
HI EvErY OnE
I am a communtiy college student right now taking biology 1 chemistry1 composition1 and calc1 and i am planning to move next year

but my question Is wHaT mAjOr to chOOse? BS in Biology or BS in Cemistry or Bs in biochemistry Plz can you guys write their own undergraduate majors before entering to pharmacy schools...............plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me out!! :confused:

Thank you

I would choose biology becuase it's a little easier than chem or biochem. You don't have to deal with physical chem in bio, which can mess up your GPA if you don't do well in it.

Out of those three, I would probably pick biochemistry becuase it would probably have more related classes to pharmacy.

My major is mathematics with minors in chem, bio and econ. So if i don't get into pharm school, I can always find a job with math major in business or something related to engineering.

Honestly, do what interests you. If you like biology better than chemistry, do that, or vice versa. The more you're interested in it, the better you'll probably do in all of your classes and your GPA will be better. With that said, you don't even have to be the "usual" biology or chemistry major. Do psychology and minor in a science (like others have done), major in health promotions even (ya that's a major at my school), or whatever you want. I decided to major in biomedical engineering because that's what I was truly interested in. Just remember to apply everything to pharmacy in the end, in your personal statement and the activities you participate in.

I really don't think it matters. Just make sure it's something that you enjoy doing. I was a psychology major and did most of my pre-pharm courses at a jr. college. Now I'm waiting for pharmacy school to start in a week. :D

charmi87 said:
HI EvErY OnE

Thank you

You're enrolled in chem I and bio I. Why don't you wait until you've had a few more classes under your belt, then see what interests you the most? All of those 3 majors require both general & organic chemistry, probably biochemistry, too. You may end up hating biochem, loving chemistry, etc.

You should probably decide about midway through your 2nd year of college. I know schools push for a declared major way too early on, but you can always change it once you know what you like.

I got my BS in biomedical engineering as well. I liked the applied science approach.
doing this (probably) did decrerase my gpa a bit (avg gpa in the engr school was 2.7....) but i still got into school fine.

I doubt it really matters what you choose. Choose what you like as long as you do the pharm admission prerequisite courses.

I'm in a similar boat as the original poster I plan on going to Pharm. and start this year at Penn State to start taking some of my pre-req's. After this year I plan on transferring to St. Vincents college and hope to get into their Pharmacy program.

That's 6-7 years total though and I worry about what might happen and how I'll be out of luck if I decide it's not for me or just don't do well enough. So, would you guys go with a major instead of going right into the 2+4 program if you in my shoes?

If so any major is fine I guess from what I see in this thread. I know a girl who has her Masters in Bio though and she can't find a job that will pay her more than 35-40k in our area. Is that a common salary for that field? It seems a little low to me seeing as she has her masters.

I'm actually graduating as a Respiratory Care B.S. major in '07 and applying this fall. I think it gives something to differentiate myself from rest of the applicants and gives me a chance to see the healthcare team and how it works. I know it's a very rare major, but nursing (BSN) major would do the same thing. Plus, you can work during your summer breaks once your in pharm school and get paid pretty well. Just something to think about.

thanks to all of you guys i think i will go for bio which i love