This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christianj95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I am completing my under grad at a CC. Then I will transfer to a 4 year. But I'm not sure what to major in. I have narrowed it down to :
Biology
Biochem
Biochem/micro
Microbiology
OR business
A lot of people say to major in biochem or something science related. So I was leaning towards biochem and microbiology because bio is too broad of a subject IMO. I have also read that business is great to major in because dentistry is like a business and you really need to have business skills to run your practice but, the thing with that is I thought dentistry schools are looking for a science related major? And if I do major in a science related field their isint many job opportunity a compared to business...What are my best options to major in that would give me the best opportunity to get accepted into dental school? And what is the average gpa to get accepted ?
I am just really stressing
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Choose whatever major interests you the most. You just have to take all of your basic science classes (Gen bio I+II, Gen Chem I+II, Orgo I+II, Phy I+II,etc.). As far as GPA goes it really depends on the school, some have an average GPA of 3.8 while other schools average a 3.2. You can see the average GPA of specific schools under the sticky thread "2015 Guide to Dental School". Just try to relax and take it one day at a time, It is a long journey. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So right now I am completing my under grad at a CC. Then I will transfer to a 4 year. But I'm not sure what to major in. I have narrowed it down to :
Biology
Biochem
Biochem/micro
Microbiology
OR business
A lot of people say to major in biochem or something science related. So I was leaning towards biochem and microbiology because bio is too broad of a subject IMO. I have also read that business is great to major in because dentistry is like a business and you really need to have business skills to run your practice but, the thing with that is I thought dentistry schools are looking for a science related major? And if I do major in a science related field their isint many job opportunity a compared to business...What are my best options to major in that would give me the best opportunity to get accepted into dental school? And what is the average gpa to get accepted ?
I am just really stressing
Thanks!

The best major for you to choose to study is the one that you will do the best in, and thoroughly enjoy. You'll get enough science background from your pre-req's, although additionally sciences are always helpful. I personally studied business and thoroughly enjoyed it, did well, and feel like it has given me a leg up in financial literacy. I don't believe my major or anybody else's major made a difference in applying (except for maybe engineering), but what will make a difference is your GPA for your major, and your science GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
The best major for you to choose to study is the one that you will do the best in, and thoroughly enjoy. You'll get enough science background from your pre-req's, although additionally sciences are always helpful. I personally studied business and thoroughly enjoyed it, did well, and feel like it has given me a leg up in financial literacy. I don't believe my major or anybody else's major made a difference in applying (except for maybe engineering), but what will make a difference is your GPA for your major, and your science GPA.
So you majored in business but still got accepted to dental school? So if I major in business I still have to complete all the sciences that are required for a science major?

So you majored in business but still got accepted to dental school? So if I major in business I still have to complete all the sciences that are required for a science major?
No, you can major in whatever you like. You just need to complete the science prerequisites for dental school.

I majored in statistics and getting interviews/acceptances has not been a problem so far.

Yep, I had no problem with getting into schools. The only science classes you have to take are the ones required by schools you are applying to, which normally is bio, chem, orgo, physics. Then each school may vary from there - some require calc, literature courses, and other upper level sciences.